X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral Tetracyclines-Which One is Best?

Hi all,
    As most of you may know, oral tetracyclines seem to be frequently prescribed for cases of blepharitis, especially when Meibomian Gland Dysfuction is present. There seems to be some significant difference of opinion throughout medical literature however, as to which one is best. Also, the dose and duration seem to be important. Most doctors agree that tetracyclines exert anti-inflammatory properties at relatively low doses-long before they become effective as antibiotics. Still, some find better results (Like Dr. Latkany; who is generally underwhelmed with them in general) with pulse dosing at higher levels. I myself have taken oral minocycline at 50mg b.i.d.(twice a day) for about four months. I have not seen a significant benefit, but I think there definately is some. I wonder if switching to doxycycline would make a difference? That actually leads me to my question: has anyone found success with a particular antibiotic after trying others that didn't seem to work? I think that each analogue has slightly different effects on the body, so it's conceivable that one may work better than another, right?

Hi,
    I am on doxy 100 mg/day. I did not try something else. Doxy worked good for me. After 3-4 days I saw significant improvement in my visual acuity the only problem I have now since I got 4 plugs. My diagnosis is ocular rosacea, although I don't have acne rosacea, but I do have an oily face skin and a little acne from time to time. This is a long term treatment. You can also find journal papers on pubmed.
    Are you using Restatis?

Cheers,

George

Comment

Thanks George,
      Yes, I am using Restasis, but only for about seven weeks now. I have yet to see a significant benefit. However, I really seem to have a very poor lipid layer, so even if I am starting to make more tears, they probably are evaporating. I need to find a way to get my MG's working better. Feeling then need to use artificial tears evry hour or so is getting really old. not to mention expensive.

Comment

Eli - I was on doxy 200 mg for a couple of months when my MGD was really bad. As it got relatively better, the MD dropped it to 100 mg. I was on 100 mg for about 6 months. I stopped taking the doxy about 5 weeks ago. I am pretty sure that the doxy and compresses were the biggest help for my MGD (killing demodex likely helped as well as did the "tincture of time" concept).

I stopped taking doxy since I was hopeful that the Restasis combined with warm compresses once a day and supplements would keep the forward progress going with regards to the meibom. glands. So far, the transition off doxy has been good. I am not great, but I have not taken a step back since stopping the doxy (and I was worried about that possibility). Best. YGB

Comment

Working...
        X