Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand why your doc wants you to get your "basal tear flow" to get going again, when I (a non-doctor) think your tbut is worst off. You also have acne, and according to Dr. L, no person w/ acne has normal eyelids. How long did your doc want you to wait? If its too long, with no improvement, I would pursue another doc. What does your current doc say about your MGs?

Comment

Doxy and mino should both work but I think maybe doxy has this certain property that mino does not but I am not sure. BTW it was an eosophagus ulcer I got, actually the 2nd time this has happend to me. And it should build up in your system by 3 weeks I would say. It has now left my system I bet, I've been off for a week now. gotta do something different instead.

Also to get the most out of it you do have to take it like the bottle says, the more empty the stomach the better (for the most part) but then if you take it lying down you could get the ulcer like I did or taking it on empy tummy can cause stomach pain, thats the worst thing about that med cause I hate eating in the day.

Also it should help with the computer but at the same time the computer works directly agaisnt doxy imo... Moisture chamber glasses and drops help mitigate some of that damage though. If you haven't got those yet they might be worth looking into for computer work.
      Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

also if you guys are having irritation due to drops that use to happen when my blepharitis was not controlled great. working out and warm compresses maybe some cold thrown in, showers, should all help with that and diet or rx drops

but try refresh plus, i bet they won't bother you like the other ones.
        Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

Aaron

I'm not really adding anything here - I just wondered how your doctor knows that doxy will make you sick? If it might make you sick now, then surely it might make you sick in the future - should the conditions be right for prescribing it.

I know that most of us here have different reasons for our dry eyes. Perhaps you doctor is right but I take Odydnas' point - how long does he expect you to wait? Does he seem optimistic? It would help you if there was some kind of target date - otherwise it can seem interminable.

Go easy on the lid scrubs because they might not be helping. I used to get so confused with what doctors told me; I was either not cleaning my eyes enough or I was too zealous in cleaning them. On reflection, I think if they didn't know what to say to me that hadn't already been said, they conveniently advised me on eye hygiene.

Comment

does doxy significantly reduce red eyes and veins in the eyes? mine get pretty bad as the day goes on and are quite often very red when I wake up in the morning.

I will be seeing another opth. in 2 weeks. Thinking about arranging to see another as well, all I want is somebody that will take my problems very seriously and act as aggressively as possible to improve the condition.

Comment

Aaron

Do you mean bloodshot eyes - or redness of the eyelids and the rims?

I honestly don't know about reducing red veins. In my case, the rims are improved in appearance a little.

Comment

Originally posted by irish eyes View Post
                Aaron

Do you mean bloodshot eyes - or redness of the eyelids and the rims?
                Yes I mean bloodshot eyes, as the day goes on and computer use goes on my eyes seem to get quite red, the lid rims get swollen and red and I often look like I've been crying. Pain and blurred vision (like I'm trying to see through a build up of stuff on my eyes) goes up with computer use especially.

Comment

My eyes get red as the day wears on, particularly if I have used the computer a lot.

I'm afraid I haven't noticed doxy making any difference at all in that regard. It's the pain and discomfort that gets to me more than the appearance. People comment on me looking tired - which I often am.

Comment

While the red eyes really bother me, its more the pain that I reaaly want to do something about. Hopefully the next doc I see will have something to remedy the pain, whether it be doxy or something else. This has really turned my life completely upside down.

Comment

Aaron

That is exactly what this condition does. Last night, I tried to recall what life was like `pre-dry eye'. I couldn't get there. I had to stop myself thinking about the extent to which life continues to be affected because it made me feel so very depressed and if I am honest - resentful. At times like this, I have to make a `supreme effort' to get going again.

I wish I could have been more positive about the doxy. Do you think your doctor is 100% against using it or is he being systematic in his treatment? Seeing so many doctors to get other `opinions' gets one down. Here in the UK, things are not good in that regard at all - as you may have picked up from other contributors.

Comment

How many hours a day are you on the computer? When I was on the computer for like 15 hours a day, day after day my eyes would get real red too. Guess that is the infamous ocular rosacea and as others have postulated it does seem to be related to inflammation.

I still have some redness but not enough to bother me compared to the anterior blepharitis or dryness or other symptoms I get with other crap.

Also pay attention to habbits while using the computer. If you gonna use it a lot like that you might just wanna forget about eating...

I think doxy and restasis may help ever so slightly with redness but for the most part, especially if using the computer a lot you won't see a difference.

-Tim

Comment

I'm not a Dr. either and while Doxy does cause illness in some people I don't think it's serious, and once you stop taking it the illness goes away. Please do not tell me that the Dr. who is concerned about you feeling ill blasted a laser in your eye that caused this mess.

I took it for about three months and despite being someone who gets very nauseous too easily I had no problem with Doxy. Just make sure you take a good probiotic while taking an antibiotic.

The best thing I found for pain relief was wearing an eye patch and my foam glasses. I started of by buying a pair of these that give 75% protection and the difference was so great I bought the foam ones.

http://www.7eye.com/products/optical-75.php

I didn't care how the foam ones looked they made the eyes not as sensitive to the wind etc. I now wear the 75% protection ones every day and get complimented on them, you would have no idea they weren't regular fashion glasses.

Stick with it and you will find what works for you.

B.

Comment

So the opthamologist I went to today gave me some doxy and erthromycin ointment, he has recommended warm compresses 2 times daily for five minutes with lid massage and lid wash. Also told me to start using refresh plus. Will be back to see him in about 6 weeks to see how I'm progressing. Hopefully the doxy does the trick.

Comment

Alternatives to what you have tried

So, the administrator told me that there are two sections to this site. One for patients and one for doctors. Well, I am not that bright so I just picked one to chime in on.
                              I am an optometrist in Houston. Won't beat drum. Just wanted to tell the folks about a very old yet new product. No, I don't sell it. It is called Lacrisert. It is like freeze drying a bottle of artificial tears and then allowing you to put it into your lower eyelid and there it dissolves slowly.
                              I could stop there, but you would ask, "does it require a prescription?" Is it available in the UK? Well, I don't know the answer to number two, but I do know that it does require a script and it costs a fortune. $200/month.
                              But, it is unpreserved, and it does work. Any downsides? Yep, sometimes they pop out spontaneously. They also gum up at the end of the day, but in the words on one of my patients who is an M.D...its all worth it.
                              So, there you have it. Some pearls from Dr. P.
                              I hope I can be of help without offending anyone.:

Comment

Opth. also told me to take as much Flax Seed Oil and Omega 3 supplements as I can tolerate. I figure I could probably tolerate more then 20,000mg per day but that this would probably be pushing it. I'll try at least 10,000mg/day for now. I think most people on the board are only taking a couple 1000mg.

Opth. also told me I've got lasik flap debris in both eyes and that its metal particles from the blade. Did not ask if this would be causing me any agitation.

Comment

Working...
                                X