Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which drops are very effective for dry eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which drops are very effective for dry eye?

I have had dry eyes for 3 years which are constantly red & sore.I hate it that they are bloodshot & have tried numerous drops,gels & ointments with no effect.Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which drops work for them? Im currently using optive which doesn't seem to last.I find this problem with most artificial tears.

Hi Peepers. Welcome to DEZ. Regarding drops, it's important to stay away from "get the red" out drops because it will only cause a worse rebound effect. And, it is also best to use preservative free drops. When it comes to drops, everyone seems to have their own personal preference...I've heard here that people like Optive, Systane, Dwelle, Freshkote, SootheXP, and OasisPlus. Personally, I've tried all of them, and I don't find any to be that great. I guess if I HAD to choose, it would be Freshkote and Oasis Plus.

With that said, lubricant drops are not generally an effective treatment (altho some people have seen great improvement with Dwelle, check out Rojzen's posts), they are more for temporary relief. It is important to find out what is causing your symptoms and take steps to treat it. For example, are you aqueous deficient? have allergies? immune disorders? blepharitis?

Comment

Originally posted by peepers View Post
      I have had dry eyes for 3 years which are constantly red & sore.I hate it that they are bloodshot & have tried numerous drops,gels & ointments with no effect.Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which drops work for them? Im currently using optive which doesn't seem to last.I find this problem with most artificial tears.

Hi Peepers

I do so agree with Odydnas. Stay away from any drops that claim to get the redness out. Tackling discomfort is the main thing - and once you start feeling a bit better - then I think your eyes should start looking better.

I've never managed yet to find a drop that suits my eyes so I've often had to settle for the `least bad'. My consultant raved about Optive and although I tried it for a length of time, we had to admit defeat that it wasn't helping.

Fortunately, my NHS PCT accepted me for trials of autologous serum drops. My symptoms still manifest but not as severely - plus the consultant said that the surface of the eye was looking healthier. (One thing that he added was that I seemed to be smiling more !)

I wish there was something I could suggest but I think it's going to be trial and error. You should aim to get pf versions where possible.

Comment

thank you for your suggestions.My eye doctor hasn't told me why my eyes are dry.Got an appointment soon so will ask her then.I've ordered some tranquileyes & dwelle off this website coz my eyes are awful in the mornings

Comment

Just fyi, the Freshkote that Odydnas mentioned is sold in the UK under the name Clinitas Ultra 3.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

thank you.Think i'll give them a try

Comment

Peepers

If you haven't tried pf Systane, I would be happy to send you a few vials. There is nothing wrong with them, it's just that they don't suit me.

Send me a pm with your address if you would like me to do this.

Comment

i've tried systane but thank you very much.Very kind of you.I feel like i've tried every drop going.

Comment

anyone got any views on refresh endura? Because of the castor oil I read it stays on the surface of the eye for longer

Comment

drops with castor oil?????

I don't think refresh endura is on the market any longer here in the US. I am looking for something with castor oil in it because I get some relief in just starting restasis and I know it is because of the castor oil...too soon for it being anything else I guess. I would appreciate any information on experience with drops of any kind with castor oil.
                    Lizzie

Comment

I might try & get hold of some refresh endura but like yourself im very interested in any information about drops containing castor oil.Im sure i read somewhere that you can get pure castor oil drops on prescription & the pharmacist makes them up for you.I dont know how true this is though.I would love to try restasis but it's not available in the uk.

Comment

i've tried systane but thank you very much.Very kind of you.I feel like i've tried every drop going.
                        I know the feeling well.

Good luck with the doctor - and write some questions down before your visit!

Comment

hi peepers

i too am in the same boat i have tried every drop but ive been on clinitas soothe and hycosan for a long time now and find these to the best i have tried,these i feel stay longer then most drops cuz they feel quite oily so dont evaporate as quick.

the dry-eyes.co.uk website is great for getting different drops to.

but i think what suits some people doesnt suit everybody so just trial and error and unfortuantly many pennies

good luck

kate

Comment

Hi Peepers
                            I was in your position 18months ago .
                            I use clinitas ultra 3 (Freshcote in USA )-It is supposed to renew all 3 layers of the tear film and i have found it good and stick with it
                            A word of warning -- it stings on instillation ,particularly if you are having a flare up - dont let that stop you, I hardly eve get stinging these days 'cos my eyes are soo much better
                            Very occationally I get a feeling of foreign body in one of my eyes - I would then use a whole lot of celluvisc in the eye and it seems to calm it down
                            I used to use celluvisc all the time - It is a good drop but very viscous and blurs the vission for a few minutes which clinitas never does
                            My break through was chloramphenicol eye ointment on lid margins only (put on with a cotton bud like you would do eyeliner but inside the lashes )
                            I still use it 18months later
                            You can get this over the counter at Boots called" infected eyes" made by optrex

Comment

does clinitas leave a white residue on your eyelashes? I might give them a go.I recently tried hyabak which seemed to make my eyes worse.Im having a bad flare up at the mo
                              I tried warm compresses lastnight.Oh my god i looked like the devil afterwards,my eyes were so red!Thanks for all your suggestions.Its comforting to know im not the only one suffering form dry eye

Comment

Working...
                              X