Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any views on soothe xp emollient eye drops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any views on soothe xp emollient eye drops?

Im thinking of trying soothe xp as it contains mineral oil.Apparently its supposed to stay on the surface of the eye longer than other drops.Wondering if anyone has tried them & what do they think?

Im trying to find a drop which doesn't evaporate so quickly like most drops.I work in a dry environment & don't always have the opportunity to regularly put drops in my eyes.

I'd appreciate any comments

In my opinion it's no different from any other drop in the sense that it works if it works for YOU and doesn't if it doesn't. I have never really sensed that the drops containing lipids truly last longer across the board - with OTC drops it's still a varies-by-user matter. - Can you use any kind of eyewear at work? This is the most effective way I know of to make drops last longer - by eliminating or reducing airflow over the eyes.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for your reply rebecca.I work in a hospital in the theatre.I think i'll find out whether i can get some glasses to block out the air.I wear glasses anyway so might be able to get a prescription pair.

My eyes are much worse in work & are very red at the end of the day

Comment

Peepers... Oh, and anyone looking for the elusive Rx 'moisture chamber' that doesn't look like a hideous pair of goggles...

A couple of days ago I met with a rep from a company with glasses called Gunnars which I really liked. They are made for looks-conscious computer users let's say and have really slick technology. The curvature of the lens is such that it is able to keep much more moisture around the eyes as well as block air movement - not of course as much as a foam-lined moisture chamber like we talk about on the board so much - but for prescriptions up to about -4, it's far and away the best option I've seen so far that actually looks good. You wouldn't really guess it just by seeing the frames on their website (www.gunnars.com) but several of the frames are really close-fitting. I'm not sure whether they can send them outside the US but if they fit your budget you might want to contact them. I'll be stocking a few of the best frames I found in their collection in the shop soon too.

In the really tough drying environments though goggles of some sort are the most effective.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for that rebecca.Will have a look on their website & keep an eye out in your shop.

many thanks

Comment

Rebecca, itn't it wonderful to see the new "inventions" for dry eye coming down the pike? There are actually a few nice looking (well-passable) glasses/goggles for patients to wear. The ones I see in here are really nice.
            Since I'm a -4.5 ish, I would even be able to get these. Lucy
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
              Rebecca, itn't it wonderful to see the new "inventions" for dry eye coming down the pike? There are actually a few nice looking (well-passable) glasses/goggles for patients to wear.
              Absolutely! And we sure are due, aren't we!
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Peepers
                I really like the soothe xp eye drops in fact it is the only one that works for me. They claim they can last as long as 8 hours and that hasn't been the case with me but i really like them lots. m they do just seem to last longer. I have zero tears in left eye and 3 in right eye. hope this helps.

and thanks Rebecca i am of to check out that website with the better looking googles!!!

Comment

Think i might try soothe xp.Thanks for your reply.Im trying dwelle at night which really stings,tempted to stop using it.

Comment

I stopped my Restasis cause it burned. After a year it didn't increase my tears anyways and my thought is, how can anything that stings or burns help our painful already burning dry eyes? the Soothe Xp is even mentioned in the Dry Eye Remedy book. i have just been using the Soothe XP then if any discomfort I put a little of the Genteal preservative free gel in. Hope it helps as we are all different.

Comment

i've read on this forum that alot of people use genteal gel.When i put dwelle in lastnight they stung that much i couldn't open them.Like you say if it burns what good can it be doing!Thanks for your comments

Comment

yes i really like the genteal gel. for me the tears are not always enough so i use the Genteal even during the day. at first was messy but then I read somewhere where you are supposed to pull bottom eyelid down and put it in there then blink a few times and that sure does work better for me. the gel allows me to work for longer than just tears.

Comment

i work in a dry environment so maybe that would be ideal for me.My eyes are very red & sore at the end of my shift.

Comment

I've tried lots of drops/gels/ointments.

Daytime preferred (listed least favorite to most favorite)

Genteal gel drops
                            Rephresh (preservative free)
                            Systane
                            Blink
                            Systane Ultra
                            Soothe XP

Nighttime preferred (listed least favorite to most favorite)
                            Generic ointment (85% petrolatum, 15% mineral oil)
                            Systane ointment (97% petrolatum, 3% mineral oil)
                            Genteal gel

Comment

thanks for all your replies.Definately gonna try a gel at night because thats when they're at their worst

Comment

Working...
                              X