X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTC Tears for MGD in UK

Hi,

Recently diagnosed with MGD and just embarking on the warm compress and massage twice a day routine. I have been using artificial tears as well to help with general soreness / grittyness during the day. So far tried...

Blink intensive
    Celluvisc 1% and 0.5%
    Viscotears
    systane / systane ultra

prefer blink or systane so far, but just wondering what others use for MGD preferably available in the UK. My GP will probably do there nut if I go in requesting another drop, but hey-ho!

Hi Matthew,

We used Celluvisc 6/day in chronic use, but now we are much more comfortable using normal saline 0.9% Minims to reduce chemicals (cheap and easy, GP-friendly).

Good plan to sort out the diet - as well as clearing meibom by adjusting fats, you're looking for unexpected inflammation triggers (alcohol? orange juice? whatever does it for you - maybe something you've overdone in the past - in our case gluten, yeast, sugar).

We've also got rid of possible allergens for chemical or other hypersensitivity - shampoo, sunblock, perfume, preservatives, dust. No eyelid cleaners for us. Tell us how you get on clearing the MGs. Wish you very good progress.
    Last edited by littlemermaid; 25-May-2012, 13:07.
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Hi Littlemermaid,

Thanks for the reply. My diet has been pretty poor over the last year or so and I guess that may contribute to the issues now (although, you do see many overweight people with perfect white eyes grr!). But yes, diet is my priority along with exercise. Cut down drastically on bad fats and suger, although I love fruit, is this still a possible trigger? I hardly drink, and as for the others, I aim to eat as naturally as possible i.e. just cut down on all processed foods. If it helps my eyes then great, if not, i'll have become more healthy which can't be a bad thing.

Thanks for the minims tip, i'll give them a go. Again, putting in god knows what into my eyes several times a day I know think probably doesn't help considerably. Something a little more gentle like saline might be more condusive to healing to eyes.

I'll report back regularily, even just for some support!

Comment

Yes please, Villfan. Maybe your GP could downgrade the Porsche and pay for some * eyedrops, since they are basically independent businesses now and make their own budget decisions.
        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Originally posted by littlemermaid View Post
          Yes please, Villfan. Maybe your GP could downgrade the Porsche and pay for some * eyedrops, since they are basically independent businesses now and make their own budget decisions.
          I had to change gps as my old ones threw a fit at how many drops i needed and regularly, but then I do have TED and mgd and bleph so hardly surprising and the eye hospital said my gps were idiots since i have so many problems.

How often does everyone reorder their eye drops prescription and for how many and how much do you use per day of the vials etc...? Mine depends on flare ups too as more irritation = more drops usage.

Do any of you also need painkillers sometimes for eye pain/discomfort?

Comment

I use maybe three or four individual PF vials a day. I guess it is rediculously wasteful, but i tend to bin them as soon as i use them for fear of getting an eye infection if I keep them. I actually had a note attached to my last prescription to call in for a 'prescription review', or in other words they are going to try get me off them or onto something cheaper, so i'm prepared to fight my corner tommorrow! I order 80 vials at a time that maybe lasts a month.

Comment

Originally posted by villfan22 View Post
              I use maybe three or four individual PF vials a day. I guess it is rediculously wasteful, but i tend to bin them as soon as i use them for fear of getting an eye infection if I keep them. I actually had a note attached to my last prescription to call in for a 'prescription review', or in other words they are going to try get me off them or onto something cheaper, so i'm prepared to fight my corner tommorrow! I order 80 vials at a time that maybe lasts a month.
              Wow is that all? At the height of my irritation and even now i can order 3 packs of 30 vials probably twice a month for my eyes from the docs, i do wonder if they will get rid of me due to the cost, but it cant be helped at times! But saline may not be enough to help keep down the inflammation.

Comment

Working...
              X