Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PLEASE!Eye drop recommendations for me based on my symptoms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

restasis

How long have you been on Restasis? Do you think this helped, or is it the Bion tears and the lacrilube, or all of it?

Comment

Originally posted by CatB View Post
      Honestly, other than seeing my regualr eye doctor, having punctal plugs put in, using Restasis for the last 9 months, taking Flax and Fish oil and using artificial tears throughout the day, that is all that has been suggested to me.

Until joining this forum, I had never even heard about special goggles and sunglasses.
      If your dry eye is truly and exclusively evaporative in nature, that is where you should put the focus of your treatment on. I know you are looking for non-medicinal treatments so lets work that angle.

I would begin optimizing your environment by eliminating things that increase tear evaporation/de-stabliiztion. If you search the forums you will find many helpful suggestions such as avoiding triggers such as direct air currents, frequent breaks from computer/tv/reading, down gaze viewing, humidifiers, protective eyewear...etc.

Also one might focus on optimizing your tear's oil layer. Lid care (hot compress, lid cleansing and gland expression) should be a must. Tea Tree oil/shampoo for lid care seems to be creating a buzz in my circle of colleagues. Many people also find supplements specifically designed for improving your tears, such as fortifeye and biotears, more efficacious than flax/fish oil. Your diet should also be optimized by maintaining proper hydration and consuming food that possess anti-inflammatory properties.

Tear film supplementation should involve an artificial tear that promotes tear film stabilization and will probably contain a lipid layer optimizing agent. Search for Freshkote on these forums.

It might be in your benifit to seek out the care of an eye care provider who harbors a knowledge and a passion for dry eye. I do not believe you have found that person yet.

Comment

Calcan

I am not sure but I think you addressed the question re Restasis, Bion Tears and Lacrilube to me.

I know that Lacrilube and Bion Tears helped as in they get me through the day and night. I now have a new favourite not available in Canada so I bought the stuff in the USA - Genteel Gel - the important part is the no preservative. That's the part that's the product not available in Canada, yet available everywhere is the States. I use it during the day and it cuts down on using Bion Tears constantly. I don't mind the blurred vision for 3-4 seconds

About Restasis - I have been on it for 1 1/2 years or so twice a day.

A couple of months ago I decided to use it once a day and I see no difference. I am going to ask the doctor if I can go off it altogether since I am a big fan of "no drugs unless absolutely necessary"

I am no sure why I bother asking because this is going to be the answer: "yes, try going without it and see what happens" - what I really want to do and that's the only reason I am asking because the day I see the doctor, I will go off it and ask for an appointment in one month's time. If my eyes did not get dryer from a medical point of view, then good-bye Restasis.

I can't tell right away if my eyes are dry or not - something about having "insensitive corneas" - Go figure.

If your question was not addressed to me, hope you get the answer from the right person.. Unfortunately my posting is not a big newsflash.

eva

Comment

eva

Yes, my question was directed to you. Thanks for the response. I'll have to try the Genteel Gel, too.

Comment

good luck - let me know what you think. I knew this product was for me within 24 hours.

Hope you have dry eyes as opposed to SS - at least you can hope it will go away.

I shouldn't really complain, compared to others my SS is not giving me the problems it gives to the majority of the people whose postings I read.

eva

Comment

Working...
            X