This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punctal Plugs

My doctor is encouraging me to get Punctal Plugs. I'm apprehensive. Anyone know of pros and cons? Due to Head Surgery my upper eye lid doesn't close and cover the lower punctal hole. I also have corneal abrasions which become irritated due to dust and dirt.

Hi Rick -

Definitely do a board search about plugs - many of us have, or have had them. They can really help keep any tears that you do have on the surface of your eye which can make you feel a lot more comfrotable. They don't hurt when inserted but there are many different sizes and brands and the key is to make sure the ones you end up with feel comfortable. They should not constantly touch your eyeball. or cause any pain. Good luck!

Comment

If anything try the ones that disolve and see how that works out first. The ones I have in now are supposingly good for 3 months. Had them before but giving them another try. I would have assumed they would offer for you to try that first.

Originally posted by Rick0517 View Post
      My doctor is encouraging me to get Punctal Plugs. I'm apprehensive. Anyone know of pros and cons? Due to Head Surgery my upper eye lid doesn't close and cover the lower punctal hole. I also have corneal abrasions which become irritated due to dust and dirt.

Comment

Plugs

I have tried plugs in both the upper and lower lids, and they didn't help. I do think they are like anything else----you try anything you can to see if they work for you. But I would try the temporary ones first, and also check your insurance if they will cover any of it. I have good insurance and they paid very little.... just so you don't have any surprises. Good luck!

Comment

Rick,
          Do the eyelids not close at night only?

Not knowing the issue, there are gold weights that can be implanted into the upper lid to help close the eyelids. There are "eye guards" available that have a mild adhesive to put across the lid at night to keep it closed.

I would ask the doctor for the 90 day plugs first and consider the eye guards for night use.

Comment

I have had plugs for a year and they really help a lot. The problem is that they keep falling out and I had them replaced about 7 times already. They have different sizes and they are difficult to fit. However if you can get someone who really cares about fitting them correctly I think you will find they help very much. You have to be careful not to rub your eyes because you can rub them right out of your eyes. It does not hurt to get them put in

Comment

Punctal plugs

Hi:
              I have had the plugs in now for about 3 months, but with no success. I also use Restasis and artificial tears. I was very hopeful about the plugs, but haven't worked for me.

Comment

Punctal Plugs

Thanks to everyone that replied. You have sent me some very good and important info. I am currently trying the 7 day temporary plugs and now on day 4 without any problems. They seem to extend the time between using eye wetting drops by as much as 4 hours! I'm not experiencing any uncomfortableness at all which is a welcome surprise. Still having burning with certain brands of drops and my glaucoma meds though. Next week I'll try the 3 month temporary plugs, if my insurance covers it. I didn't think to check( gibbet - extra thanks for that suggestion! ). I'm trying to avoid getting the gold weight in my eye lid for now but that may be necessary eventually.

Comment

Working...
                X