Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone with only uppers plugged/cauterized?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone with only uppers plugged/cauterized?

I'm set for a trial of a 30-day intracanicular collagen plug in my bad eye in November. I have MGD, and most of my discomfort is felt in the upper part of my eye. When I try to wear my contacts, I inevitably experience pressure/pain in the upper nose-side part of my eye after a few hours.

I happened across an article discussing with punctum to plug first. http://www.healio.com/optometry/corn...e-upper-puncta

In the article, a couple docs suggest that plugging the upper is helpful for patients with lipid/MGD problems...and one doc suggests that the upper punctum drains the upper tear meniscus, which is where I'd like more moisture.

I asked my optometrist if he saw any merit in trying the upper punctum first given the article, and he told me plugging the upper would do nothing and dismissed me. (And actually he told me to tie up my hands and stop looking for information on the internet...I don't understand why a doctor would prefer an uneducated patient, but that is not relevant here).

Anyway, does anyone here have just the uppers occluded, and how much difference did you experience with it?

Thank you in advance for your kind replies.

Zuzu

At first I only had the uppers plugged, it didn't help and after 6 mo I had them removed. Then I had just the lowers plugged, they dissolved in 3 weeks and it didn't help. Then I tried both upper and lowers and it helped a LOT. I have Sjogrens and my eyes are so dry I don't get overtearing which can be a problem with all 4 plugged. The short story is you'll never know if you don't try.

As for your Dr. I would find a new one the second he told me to tie up my hands and stop searching for information he obviously thinks he has some connection to God...just my opinion. I have found more answers to my problem on this site that the doctors ever gave me..cheers...F/G

Comment

Working...
    X