Question for veterans/novices re. plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for veterans/novices re. plugs

I have read through your daily routines for dry eye.

I'm wondering if you are/were wearing plugs as I undertand that Restatis does not work so well with plugs?

Did you start off with plugs but saw no benefit?

I'm asking as I had a second tear duct plug put in one eye (my Lasik eye 8 weeks ago) and while things feel different, thereis more moisture, I have still had some pain...and even when there is no pain my eye still feels "not right".
    I'm also using Systane, Nutra tear and Dwelle, though I have cut down on the later two as they seem to sting and the Systane doesn't.

I'm wondering how much time I should give the plugs before moving onto something else.

My insurance doesn't cover Restatis so it does mean $210 per month which has to be taken into consideration.

Any thoughts on past experiences with plugs would be great....cause I don't have anyone else to ask!!

Bernadette

I started out with plugs before Restasis came on the market. The plugs caused scar tissue to form so I had to permanently close the ducts using a laser. Later when Restasis came out I began using it also.

To answer your questions....you should know immediately whether the plugs work or not. Also, Restasis has still helped me some even with my tear ducts plugged.

Comment

Plugs helped me quite a bit. 2 in my worst eye and just 1 in the other. My doctor said Restasis can be used with plugs. I am not using it because I am prone to inflammation and have been told that Restasis exacerbates inflammation. Not to say I would not try it in the future, but between the Eye Spa technique, flaxseed oil, 3 plugs, and Synergeyes contacts, I am pretty comfortable now almost all the time. When I am not the symptoms would be considered fairly mild now I think.

Comment

I thought Restasis was supposed to be anti-inflammatory? That is why I was prescribed Restasis

Comment

I started out with Restasis, could not tolerate it so I went to plugs. Ended up with four plugs, but had one removed. While my double plugged eye is wetter, it is not all that comfortable. Much depends on the make up of your tears. If your tear components are all there and it is just volume that is lacking, plugs should work well. In my experience, plugs helped but they were not the cure by any means.
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Thanks for your imput.

Food for thought...and yes I am drinking that Flaxseed...yuck!

Comment

I get flaxseed oil in capsules to swallow. I use Barlean's Organi cold pressed oil.

Comment

Originally posted by bernmee View Post
                Food for thought...and yes I am drinking that Flaxseed...yuck!
                Good fresh flaxseed oil should not taste bad... But also, there are more and more innovative products on the market now to make liquid oils more user-friendly.

Personally I use Barleans cinnamon or lemon flavored, mixed with yoghurt & berries.

This morning my husband mentioned his doctor told him to start taking fish oil every day. (Of course, I can tell him about stuff like this till I'm blue in the face, but having a doctor say so makes all the difference.) I had a bottle of the Barleans Omega Swirl / Lemon Zest sitting around that I'd used for a taste-test awhile back - it's a kind of smoothie-type consistency - so I gave him a couple of spoonfuls and he really liked it. This is the one my daughter describes as liquid lemon starbursts.

More info at barleans.com or in our shop here.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for that info...I think it is a psychological aversion I have to the flaxseed oil....I was fine to start with but as time goes on I am seizing up inside when I take the bottle out.

As for the flavored, I tried the lemon one from your site and to me that is "hiding a taste...

I know its good for me but I'm like a child who doesn't want to take their medicine, but the adult part of me makes me take it....oh the inner battle that dry eye causes!

Thanks again for the tips,

BErnadette

Comment

Working...
                  X