flow controllers info and % occlusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flow controllers info and % occlusion

Hi. Does anyone know if the flow controller plugs (Eagle vision or otherwise) always have a fixed diameter hole through the middle or does this vary (either depending on overall plug size or does it vary even with the same plug diameter?). I'm currently plugged in one eye with an ordinary plug in the bottom punctum and a flow controller in the upper one. Initially I had just one lower ordinary plug. This wasn't enough so I had the upper plugged - but this gave me far too much epiphoria. This was then replaced with a flow controller, but I still have the annoying epiphoria (not as much, but still enough to be a right pain sometimes!). If I could get a flow controller with a slightly bigger hole maybe that would work. Alternatively maybe it would be worth replacing the lower with a flow controller too - the question is do 2 flow controllers = more occlusion than 1 ordinary lower plug?

Any useful input appreciated!

Info on Oasis flow control plugs

The through hole is nominally .008" (.2mm) in diameter over most of its
    length and narrows slightly at the anchor end where the hole becomes
    triangular in cross-section. It is the same for both plugs.

No reply from Eagle so far with info on their plugs, but for interest the above details the dimensions of the Oasis ones.

Comment

Tom,
      I don't think in 23 years I have seen a patient with two flow controllers, but it may be the solution for you. I am going to call one of my doctors that uses quite a few flow controller plugs and ask him it about it.

Comment

Flow controllers

Thanks, appreciate it. I'm having my lower normal plug out this evening because I just can't cope socially with the overflow. I know this will leave me with a dry eye/worse vision until I get another flow controller put in the lower, but I just can't take much more...I'm really hoping two flow controllers turns out to occlude just slightly more than one lower normal plug.

Comment

Update

I have now had a flow controller put in the lower punctum as well - so double plugged with them. I've had it in just over a week. It has varied a bit, but overall result is my vision is better (as more tears) though I get some overflow (not as much as previously). I suspect the recent cold weather may be contributing a little to this. The overflow is not as bad as before, so I'm going to stick with it a while and hope it improves.

On a side note, have bought my first car, though not picked it up yet. I'm looking into drops to let me drive at night as I have post refractive surgery aberrations - tried 0.1% pilocarpine last night and it sent things blurry for a while and then after about 6 hours things had cleared sufficiently to think maybe....my feeling is even 0.1% is too strong, and it shrinks my pupil down too much. I could try Alphagan, but it has a rebound effect apparently (when you stop using it, your max pupil size actually gets bigger!), and it's only effective for a month or so anyway with regular use. Any suggestions welcome!

Comment

Working...
          X