Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scleral Lens for the first time... Experience ..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scleral Lens for the first time... Experience ..

Five days ago, I went to an Optometrist in Columbus to evaluate my eye for the possibility of scleral lenses. Finally, I got a pair of lenses. But, there was a problem with insertion since I blink a lot. He decided to give me anesthetic drops to numb my eyes prior to insertion and the condition now is fine. Now, I use the numb drops once a day before the insertion.
    After wearing the lenses, I feel the image is not clear with starburst pattern.

Apart from this drawback, my eyes is fine and I feel happy and comfort with it since the frequency of put drops in my eyes reduced to %80 and the sensation of dryness disappeared completely.

Now, I have two concerns:

Is it harmful to use the numb drops for long time.

What is the reason behind the image starburst pattern and How can I avoid or correct it...

All the best

Hello CaptainObvious and welcome!

Originally posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"]Now, I use the numb drops once a day before the insertion.
    I think this would be a great question to post for Dr. Latkany.

I have never heard of this myself and would be uncomfortable with it. Ordinary concentration numbing drops are normally used only in dr's offices or at any rate for VERY short term use because they are not safe to use without supervision or for extended periods. I suppose the rationale in this case is that since the lens is going in immediately afterwards, having the cornea anaesthetized is not as dangerous (since it's covered) as it would be otherwise (vulnerable to injury without any pain alarm). Not a doc so I can't comment further but I would never use anesthetic drops myself at home.

After wearing the lenses, I feel the image is not clear with starburst pattern.
    You mean after you remove the lens? how long does it last?

Many rigid lenses will make a temporary unintended alteration in the shape of the cornea. This is sometimes called spectacle blur. I've had that in the past but only with lenses that actually rested partly on the cornea. But I think that I have heard of others with scleral lenses of some sort experiencing visual change for awhile afterwards. I don't know if it has to do with the type of lens or the fit... good question for the doctor who fitted it.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

p.s.

If you want something concrete to use to firmly request from your doctor more information about the safety of this practice maybe these excerpts could be helpful:

EyeCareAmerica.org (Foundation of the American Academy of Ophthalmology)
      Anesthetic Drops
      Anesthetics are painkillers. They numb the eyes within a few seconds. These drops should be used only in the doctor's office and never at home. Repeated use at home can harm the surface of the eye, leading to an infection or serious scarring of the cornea.
      Drugs.com re: anesthetic eyedrops - does not even address the possibility of home use (though they are used short-term in recovery from some corneal surgeries).

Dosing—The dose of proparacaine or tetracaine will be different for different people. It will depend on the reason the anesthetic is being used. Your health care professional will apply the medicine.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I was given a bottle of numbing drops in the ER of a small hospital while I suffered a bad erosion while traveling. I was home within a couple of days and went to my eye MD right away. He almost fell off the chair wen I showed him the bottle of numbing drops. He took them and threw them in the garbage. He was aghast that anyone, let alone a hospital, would give a patient a bottle of numbing drops.
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
          Hello CaptainObvious and welcome!

I think this would be a great question to post for Dr. Latkany.

I have never heard of this myself and would be uncomfortable with it. Ordinary concentration numbing drops are normally used only in dr's offices or at any rate for VERY short term use because they are not safe to use without supervision or for extended periods. I suppose the rationale in this case is that since the lens is going in immediately afterwards, having the cornea anaesthetized is not as dangerous (since it's covered) as it would be otherwise (vulnerable to injury without any pain alarm). Not a doc so I can't comment further but I would never use anesthetic drops myself at home.

You mean after you remove the lens? how long does it last?

Many rigid lenses will make a temporary unintended alteration in the shape of the cornea. This is sometimes called spectacle blur. I've had that in the past but only with lenses that actually rested partly on the cornea. But I think that I have heard of others with scleral lenses of some sort experiencing visual change for awhile afterwards. I don't know if it has to do with the type of lens or the fit... good question for the doctor who fitted it.

Thanks for the comment...

I mean throughout the time of wearing, the image is glare and starburst pattern...

Comment

Sorry I misunderstood. If you're getting that while wearing them I would think it is related to fit.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Just as an addition to the numbing drops:
              I suffered with severe corneal erosions for a while. When I say severe, I'm not kidding around. There was no relief from the pain no matter what meds I took orally. The first time it happened when I went to the ophthalmologist, I couldn't even open my eye for him to examine it, so he put in numbing drops. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. By the time I was ready to leave the office, the pain was returning so I basically begged him to give me a bottle to take home. He flat out refused, saying they were dangerous and not for regular use. When I went to a new ophthalmologist, same story.
              I had some problems inserting my sclerals when I first got them too. I found that I had to figure out my own routine and that some of the ways/things they taught me at BFS did not work for me. I would suggest that you try experimenting with insertion and see if you can figure out something that works.
              RE: the starburst/glare situation. I was told at BFS that this can be a symptom of a poorly fitting lens. Does the person that fit you have experience fitting sclerals??

Comment

RobinH,

Thanks for reply and the helpful information given.

I am still dependent on numb drops and when I asked the optometrist, he said once a day isn't harmful.

Regarding the glare, I followed the manual of BFS on How to insert and remove the lenses.

My Doc. has a great experience in scleral leases but your suggestion is valuable.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainObvious View Post
                  I am still dependent on numb drops and when I asked the optometrist, he said once a day isn't harmful.
                  What is the name of this numbing drop you have been prescribed for once a day?
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Hello CaptainObvious,

Fitting rigid lenses is more challenging that soft lenses. In particular, my OD always has to get me a trial pair, check my refraction, then order a "final" pair with more exact correction.

Has your OD done a recheck of your viion and lens fit since you got them?

Also, I think we need a more precise description of the "starburst pattern" you are experiencing.

Is the problem there all the time?
                    Is it worse in dark/dim rooms, or in bright settings?
                    Is it worse when you look at bright objects against a darker background?
                    Do you have astigmatism? If yes, is it corrected by the sclerals?

Good luck . . .

Comment

Numbing drops would leave my eyes in such bad shape after they wore off that I told the ophthalmologist to go ahead and skip the numbing drops. I had many plugs put in without numbing drops and several other procedures over the years.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid enough to forego the drops if it's a serious procedure. However, if I can skip it and get through the plugs etc quick enough, I'll skip the drops. I had some stuff done to my eyes on a Friday and we went on a trip that weekend. Well, I basically sat in the car with a cold cloth over my closed eyes (when riding) and when we were visiting, I went to lie down and again with the cold cloth. A most miserable time and I knew then I didn't like numbing drops. Lucy
                      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks all for the participation....

I just came back from the clinic.

The astigmatism or starburst pattern can not be corrected soon because my eyes did not get adapted to the lenses but with time the issue hopefully will be resolved.

One good thing now that I can insert and remove the lenses without numb drops....

When I asked him about the cloudy of the lenses after few hours of insertion, he told me it is due the debris accumulate outside the lens which make it non clear surface and prescribed for me the blink n clean drops.
                        http://shopping.yahoo.com/2178508-co...l/user-reviews
                        Have any one experienced the same situation,,,,

Thanks

Comment

I hate to harp on this, or reflect negatively on something recommended by a doctor when I don't know all the details, but for safety's sake I feel I need to make it clear to other readers that DAILY USE OF ANAESTHETIC DROPS IS NOT OKAY.

I've talked to several doctors, optometrists and ophthalmologists, about this just to make sure I'm not missing anything. Across the board they were vehemently opposed to this idea. The most aggressive opinion I encountered was an MD who thought under certain circumstances DILUTED anaesthetic drops might sometimes be appropriately used this way at home, but not full strength.
                          Rebecca Petris
                          The Dry Eye Foundation
                          dryeyefoundation.org
                          800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                            I hate to harp on this, or reflect negatively on something recommended by a doctor when I don't know all the details, but for safety's sake I feel I need to make it clear to other readers that DAILY USE OF ANAESTHETIC DROPS IS NOT OKAY.

I've talked to several doctors, optometrists and ophthalmologists, about this just to make sure I'm not missing anything. Across the board they were vehemently opposed to this idea. The most aggressive opinion I encountered was an MD who thought under certain circumstances DILUTED anaesthetic drops might sometimes be appropriately used this way at home, but not full strength.

Well,

Every patient has a unique scenario which affects the decision of the Doc.
                            e.g. in my situation, I was almost disabled and can not perform the daily activities. The doctor has the chance to help me after understanding the benefit/risk ratio. Also, the use of numb drops is temporarily till I get used to the lenses and now I am independent to them.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gz9gjg View Post
                              Hello CaptainObvious,

Fitting rigid lenses is more challenging that soft lenses. In particular, my OD always has to get me a trial pair, check my refraction, then order a "final" pair with more exact correction.

Has your OD done a recheck of your viion and lens fit since you got them?
                              Yes. Several times
                              Also, I think we need a more precise description of the "starburst pattern" you are experiencing.

Is the problem there all the time?
                              NO. Only in the night time
                              Is it worse in dark/dim rooms, or in bright settings?
                              Dark room
                              Is it worse when you look at bright objects against a darker background? Precisely.
                              Do you have astigmatism? If yes, is it corrected by the sclerals?
                              Yes, I have astigmatism. It is corrected by %80
                              Good luck . . .
                              U too.

Thanks

wwwwwwwwwwwwww

Comment

Working...
                              X