Scleral Lens and DRY EYELIDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scleral Lens and DRY EYELIDS

Hello all! I have been wearing the Boston Sclreal lenses for about 2 months now, and they help the overall surface of my eye, and the cornea feeling good, but the only problem is, is that my eyelids get SOOOO DRY. So, if I don't get a drop in or can't find one, my eyes are so dry(the lids) that they wont even close all the way when I try to blink. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anyway from preventing this from happening or is it just one of those things that you have to use drops for?

One more thing, whenever I remove my lens, I get intense pain, like a scartaching feeling when I remove my lens. I believe it's because I am not opening my eyelid wide enough when I take it out, but since I have to flood my eye with drops prior to removing the lens, it's slippery and cant really keep it open. I can feel that the lens scratches my upper eyelid on the inside. Ugh needless to say VERY pasinful, and then my eye turns completely red and is sore for about half an hour!

Anyone experience this as well?

Any comments, advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks so much!!!!

~Lindsay~

Originally posted by lestacio18
    ...the only problem is, is that my eyelids get SOOOO DRY. So, if I don't get a drop in or can't find one, my eyes are so dry(the lids) that they wont even close all the way when I try to blink. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anyway from preventing this from happening or is it just one of those things that you have to use drops for?
    My understanding is you should expect this to require regular lubrication. Might take some experimenting to find just the right drop that seems to do the best job at this for you!

One more thing, whenever I remove my lens, I get intense pain, like a scartaching feeling when I remove my lens....my eye turns completely red and is sore for about half an hour!
    This sounds like some additional training for lens removal would be very helpful! Have you talked to Susan Hebard at the foundation about it? I'm afraid I can't comment from personal experience as I've never worn this type of lens but I think that having that much irritation after lens removal is really not a good thing and that you should discuss it with them.

Good luck & thanks for posting about it!!
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Still need lubricating drops

You still need drops with the scleral lens for the problem you're talking about. If you're using them for dry eyes, at least! I can't speak for someone using them for other medical problems.

I find the need to use drops approximately once an hour to prevent the "sticking' you are referring to. At the BFS clinic, they used TheraTears and Refresh Plus. Possibly others, too. When I'm wearing my sclerals, I use TT or Refresh Plus. While I'm not wearing the lens, Dr. Holly's drops are still my fave. I have used NutraTear with the lens when I've been in a bind, but am leary. To those who do not have the lens, remember you have saline solution in the lens itself. The lube we are talking about is for the outside of the lens to make it slippery for your eyelids to blink without friction.

That's been my experience and I was told lubrication would be needed.
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
        I have used NutraTear with the lens when I've been in a bind, but am leary.
        Just a quick FYI from the "business" corner of DEZ.... NutraTear (like many lubricants, including many recommended for contacts) is not labelled for contact lens use, which requires FDA approval as a medical device rather than as a lubricant. Personally I use NutraTear regularly on my Macrolenses, which are kind of like a mini-scleral, and have done so for a long time. Based on requests we've had from physicians we are currently planning some studies in order to get it approved for use with contacts. Sclerals is an application we're very interested in because lid lubricant is an ongoing need for scleral users.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
        X