eyelid problems with sclerals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eyelid problems with sclerals

Hoepfully someone experienced with sclerals can help me or give me a suggestion...
    Since a few weeks I got Boston sclerals in a try to manage my dry eye problems (MGD, blepharitis, allergies). I ordered them in the Netherlands where I live. The good thing is that my eyes turn very white after 5 minutes inserting them. Wow, that looks beautiful! They are always so pink or red… I do get relief, I feel that my cornea is better but….

I feel my upper eyelids (inside) after a few hours of wearing them. This is the case more in my right eye which is in the worst condition. Also, after getting them out, my eyes turn red immediately. I can’t say that they feel comfortable after wearing them like I read from others. My eyelids tend to feel more inflamed? If I wear them 2 days for about 7-8 hours, my eyes have to 'recover' a few days of wearing them.
    My doctor says the fitting is perfect and they look very good while having them in. His possible explanation:

- allergy for the liquid I use when storing them (it includes preservatives), despite the fact that I rinse and fill them with saline before inserting
    - build up scheme was too ambitious, better build up gradually to 6 hours, wearing them 2 weeks for 6 hours per day and build up with 1 hour every week
    - I used saline drops to moisten my sclerals every 2 hours, saline can be drying, maybe better to use another drop?

What do you think? I appreciate your opinion.

Originally posted by Annekee View Post

- allergy for the liquid I use when storing them (it includes preservatives), despite the fact that I rinse and fill them with saline before inserting
    - build up scheme was too ambitious, better build up gradually to 6 hours, wearing them 2 weeks for 6 hours per day and build up with 1 hour every week
    - I used saline drops to moisten my sclerals every 2 hours, saline can be drying, maybe better to use another drop?
    I agree with most of these and would add a 4th: are the lenses plasma treated? If not, the outer surface may not be wetting well enough.

My lens cleaning & storage regimen is cleaning with Lobob Extra Strength Cleaner (Miraflow is another good alternative) and storage only in hydrogen peroxide.

I had no issues with building up wearing time.

I squirt saline over my lenses sometimes but in general I prefer to use a lubricant that will wet them properly and last. Another possibility is that in the early days, you try to wear moisture chambers over them and then wean yourself off.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Rebecca for your quick reply. I appreciate your opinion a lot, you're a real professional!! I'll start with my sclerals again (considering all those attention points) and let you know how I deal with them. Thanks again.

Comment

a few questions

Hi Rebecca,
        Regarding your posting yesterday I'd like to ask you a few details:
        1. How long will a plasma coating last? Do you regularly treat your sclerals with a plasma coating?
        2. I also use Lobob which is great. What do you mean with storage in hydrogen peroxide. Is that the same as saline/unisol? Where do you buy it?
        3. You prefer to use a lubricant that will wet them properly and last, what brand do you recommend? Is Refresh Plus or Systane a possibility?
        4. You suggest to wear moisture chambers over them. Do you mean tranquilleyes, panoptx?

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Annekee View Post
          Hi Rebecca,
          Regarding your posting yesterday I'd like to ask you a few details:
          1. How long will a plasma coating last? Do you regularly treat your sclerals with a plasma coating?
          2. I also use Lobob which is great. What do you mean with storage in hydrogen peroxide. Is that the same as saline/unisol? Where do you buy it?
          3. You prefer to use a lubricant that will wet them properly and last, what brand do you recommend? Is Refresh Plus or Systane a possibility?
          4. You suggest to wear moisture chambers over them. Do you mean tranquilleyes, panoptx?

Thanks again!
          1. I don't know how long it lasts. I never had a lens re-coated..
          2. No, hydrogen peroxide is an acid. It is readily available in dilute form at pharmacies/chemists.
          3. I don't have something to recommend, because I use NutraTear which is not approved for contact lens use. Best to check with the doctor you got the lenses from.
          4. Panoptx/Wiley-X style glasses. Not tranquileyes, because you can't sleep in the lenses.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
          X