Isolation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isolation

Has anyone completely isolated themselves? How are you guys coping with this? And if you were depressed, how did you recover from that. I'm so anxious about how I look.

I have, and I still kind of am. It was pretty easy to isolate myself since my eye pain kept me from participating in many things, I stopped working so I was at home all day, I started removing myself from unsupportive people who minimized my situation, and I was self conscious about the changes in my appearance. In the end, I was pretty alone except for my boyfriend.

While being alone did help in some ways, it was pretty harmful in other ways. I think being really isolated made me even more depressed which caused even more isolation, etc. It was a vicious cycle. I did seek therapy, but it was unhelpful, although I think it would have been if I had found a better therapist. I started easing more into living life, but nothing like before. I am in between being completely isolated to being how I use to me, and I feel that I am doing better psychologically.

What I guess I'm trying to say is that a short period of isolation can be helpful when learning to cope with such a big life change. It's different for everyone. However, too long of a period will be very harmful to your psychological wellbeing, and it is important to seek therapy for depression. It is also very important to have someone in your life that tries to understand that you are dealing with a lot of pain, and is supportive of you.

As for changes in my appearance, I am still adjusting. It's not easy, but over time, you will adapt, and it will get easier.

Comment

Me too- You are not alone...

Mine started in Oct 08-my Dad had cancer, we just got back from a central american country to adopt 2 girls that went south. Less then 4 days early Oct 08 is when my life changed forever. I may after moving to a new home used some really old eye drops that made it into my drawer. I already had some issues with my left eye-As a teen someone sprayed it with spray and wash and I neglected to rinse it out. It caused eye redness from that pt forward. When this happened, it was redness, then burning, then itching. I felt so low that I pulled away from everyone. I could not even be there for my father. You can know how bad it feels. I have been suicidal, esp. when I was put on Paxil seen therapists. I do finally have plugs and rarely use drops-only when very necessary and only preservative free ones. This has changed me forever. I'm not the same person I was 1 1/2 yrs ago. I hate what I think I may have done to myself. I've been so careful over the years with cleanign supplies, etc and how in the hell could I allow this to happen. I'm frustrated with so many things. The economy, myself, my life. I hate looking in the mirror and most of the time shave in very dim lighting. If you saw me you would probably not notice much at times. But the damage to me inside and out has been done. It's hard to recapture the joy you once had, when you feel you lost so much.

Comment

My dry eye recently got worse, so I am kind of going through a period of isolation right now as well, not so much of because how I look, but because my eyes have become painful. But I am self-conscious about how my eyes get pink / red as well. I second everything odydnas said though. Hang in there!! There ARE lots of other people experiencing the same, even if you don't personally know any. I suggest looking through the "Triumph" section of the board for stories on how people have overcome and come out stronger, better people because they have endured dry eye. Don't feel embarassed about seeking counseling and reaching out for support; anyone in our situation would need it!

Comment

I've become isolated because of the chronic pain of dry eyes. I had to leave my job because of it and most of my friends were associated with my job and I guess didn't want to keep in touch with me because I have this strange problem. I got the feeling they didn't really believe it.

Comment

Well, its Saturday night, and I am at home reading stuff on a dry eye forum, with one eye closed. Ya, I know about that isolated feeling. But is sure does help to be able to connect with other people in the same boat.

Comment

Originally posted by azngi16@hotmail.com View Post
              How are you guys coping with this?
              At the start it might seem like a good idea but try not to completely isolate yourself. I find that I don't really feel that much pain whenever I'm around with friends and family so keep that in mind, its a bit of a psychological battle as well as a physical one.

I noticed that you have a hotmail so I assume you have MSN Messenger? Use that if you don't feel like being physically around friends because a little contact is better than none at all.

Hang in there

Comment

Hi Arj, I notice you're from Michigan, as am I!

What caused your dry eye, or don't you know. Male?female?

What have you tried so far for your dry eyes? This should get a conversation going. I don't think this board uses MSN messenger, but I might be wrong. There is a way to PM (private message) people here and also have their email in their profiles. Darn, I'm tired and can't see.
                Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                  Hi Arj, I notice you're from Michigan, as am I!
                  Nah I'm not sorry, I live on this dry desert island called Australia on the other side of the planet. I think I'm the only Aussie on this entire forum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne

I do wish I was in the United States, there seems to be much more going on there in terms of doctors and treatment options for dry eyes

Darn, I'm tired and can't see.
                  You should get some rest. Its essential for recovery

What caused your dry eye, or don't you know.
                  I got my dry eye from a contact lens cleaning solution that I didn't rinse out properly late last year. It was just in my right eye though.

However I started taking doxychycline hydrochloride again this January for my acne and then BANG I developed dry eye in my left eye as well while increasing the pain in the right one. Pretty sh!t considering that doxychycline hydrochloride is what some people are taking to make it all better.

Thankfully I havn't undergone any form of laser surgery

Male?female?
                  I turned 20 recently and I'm male. I'm always feeling scared because it seems like the end of my life already. Granted, my situation is nowhere near as bad as some victims here

What have you tried so far for your dry eyes?
                  Right now I'm doing a basic warm compress and preservative free artificial tears

I've also got a blog about eyes in general, I'll see if I can figure out how to link it sometime

Hope you are doing well
                  Arj

Comment

I will leave the obvious error in my post below your first one. lolol..
                    Well, someone is from Michigan besides me, so I'll let it go. Goodnight.

PS. I did get the conversation and information flowing though!
                    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Over the years I've attempted to keep up social engagements and my studies but it's just been an inevitable slide into hermitude, lol. I see less and less of people until I just can't maintain social relations with them. The only people I see/talk-to now are a strictly small number I know through just plain being a nerd and whoever's currently 'fresh' and not sick of me barely being out and about.

While I ultimately I prefer being indoors and away from the pressures of other people and trying to seem 'normal', being at home on my own for the majority of my time is very much distressing. I've been through absolute pits of unhappiness over the years but after every one I'm stronger for it. You just get uesd to it, however sad it is

I find being generally an optimistic and happy person at heart, being able to laugh at even such horrible circumstances as this - is enough to keep me going

Comment

Working...
                      X