This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hosanna13 View Post
    Just to update: I will be getting lipiflow on Wednesday. The ophthalmologist told me my glands are blocked and aren't secreting anything when he stabbed my eye with Q tips. I dont think they are the correct tool to apply enough pressure. When I express at home using my expressor tool, I do see clear oil. It's slow and thick, but it's there. I also started a short course of azithromycin today. Studies have shown that a 5 day Z-pack was superior to 1 month of doxy with fewer side effects. I prescribed myself 500 mg daily azithro for today, tomorrow and wed in prep for lipiflow. I am hoping that azithro will augment lipiflow by thinning the oil and reducing inflammation.
    Those studies are from Iran -- I wouldn't trust those studies very much. However topical azithromycin has been used to much effective as for reducing inflammation and thinning out the oil. I've personally have had a lot of luck via topical azithromycin (Azyter), however I can't get that in Canada anymore. I am also considering oral azithromycin. Oral azithromycin should do the same, as it is systemic (as opposed to localized topical azithromycin drops). I wouldn't go w/ 5 day course tho, I would go w/ a longer course and take it every 2 days. Azithromycin has a much longer 1/2 life compared to say doxy. If I were you, I would use the same dosage as acne azithromycin usage. The logic is, the doxy dosage we use for dry eyes is the same for acne, so I suspect if we use the same dosage of azithromycin for dry eyes as acne, it should be effective as well (especially since topical azithromycin has much history w/ MGD/thick oil).

Comment

Yes, even in the study, only half of ppl found clinical benefit in either arm...so it's 50/50 whether or not antibiotics would help you. I personally cant tolerate doxy because it gave me a gastric ulcer. I might start applying azasite (azithromycin eye drop) on my margins only using a q tip. I dont think it would be good for my eyes to use a drop with preservatives everyday on my cornea. I cant believe Canada would stop making these drops unavailable? Perhaps you can find them for a good price online via an Indian pharmacy.

Comment

Just had lipiflow this afternoon. If anything, my eyes feel more irritated from all the lidocaine drops used. The tech put in 3 drops in each eye 1 min apart. Is this really necessary? How many drops were put in for other people?

My eyes are red and inflammed now and I know I will have to use steroids for a few days to clear this up. As for the procedure itself, it was a bit anxiety inducing to put in the cups, but the warm massage felt nice. I wish I could do that for my lids everynight without the lidocaine drops. I am now going to maintain my glands by applying azasite on the lid margins at night only before bed.

Comment

my dr did not give me any drops prior to LipiFlow. What are the purpose of lidocaine drops?

I did not have red nor inflammation before and afterwards.

Did you ask dr if you have scar tissue?

Comment

The lidocaine is to numb the sclera so that the cup is more comfortable. Wow, wasn't the cup painful for your eyes? I came back home and expressed my lids, there seems to be more oil expressing now. I saw my glands on lipiview, they look sparse. No scar tissue. I think as an Asian female, i was just born with sparse glands. Mgd is more prevalent in Asian females than any other demographic ;(

Comment

As a side note, the lipiflow machine only costs $25k. I am wondering if people have considered buying these for home use, say for weekly therapy. The "disposable" wires can easily be disinfected with alcohol wipes. I can't imagine one 12 min lipiflow treatment is significant, this is probably something you need to do on a regular basis for maintenance. The lipiview machine is what costs a lot more, and totally unnecessary after the first time.

Comment

As a side note, the lipiflow machine only costs $25k. I am wondering if people have considered buying these for home use, say for weekly therapy. The "disposable" wires can easily be disinfected with alcohol wipes. I can't imagine one 12 min lipiflow treatment is significant, this is probably something you need to do on a regular basis for maintenance. The lipiview machine is what costs a lot more, and totally unnecessary after the first time.
                Yeah -- the ODs make huge profits off us. My understanding is that the applicator cost only $375 per treatment for both eyes as well.

Comment

The applicator can also be disinfected easily. They are creating so much waste just to profit from the disposables.

Comment

To Canadians / Toronto area ppl -- if you're willing to purchase a machine tgt or something. We might be able to work something out. PM me.

Comment

That's a brilliant idea. I wish I lived near Toronto so that we could share the machine!

Comment

1 week update after Lipiflow:
                        Finger crossed, but my eyes feel much better now. Almost back to "normal" on some days. Of course I still can't sit in front of a fan, but my eyes are not as painfully dry. I tried Azasite on eyelid margins for a few nights after Lipiflow, but couldn't tolerate the dryness and pain the day after. My eyes feel better without Azasite.

Comment

Thanks for the update, hosanna. So Lipiflow and Azasite are the only treatments/changes you have made in the last few weeks? Did you take any other meds or make any diet changes?

I hope you continue to feel even better!

Comment

In the last week, I have been taking 1g fish oil three times daily, 0.5 tbs flaxseed oil, green tea with lemon. All the studies say that it takes months for omega3/6/9 to help MGD, so I doubt the oil supplements are doing anything yet. Since lipiflow, I see more oil coming out of my glands with expression after hot compress (I use the actual medical tool, not Q tips). I hope to get lipiflow as a maintenance therapy at least every 3 months since it's covered at my hospital for free.

Comment

I forgot, I also took a Z-pak, or 5 day course of azithromycin. 1st day is 500 mg, days 2-5 are 250 mg. I started it 2 day before lipiflow.

Comment

In the last week, I have been taking 1g fish oil three times daily, 0.5 tbs flaxseed oil, green tea with lemon. All the studies say that it takes months for omega3/6/9 to help MGD, so I doubt the oil supplements are doing anything yet. Since lipiflow, I see more oil coming out of my glands with expression after hot compress (I use the actual medical tool, not Q tips). I hope to get lipiflow as a maintenance therapy at least every 3 months since it's covered at my hospital for free.
                                wow! which country/hospital are you from/goto?

Comment

Working...
                                X