No announcement yet.

Symptoms Worsen as Eye Health Improves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symptoms Worsen as Eye Health Improves?

A year and a half ago, I was diagnosed with Dry Eye Syndrome. My schirmer test scores were low (5 & 10) and my eyes had inflamation and scaring.

These days, my schirmer test scores are 10 & 15, the inflamation is gone and almost all of my scaring is gone.

But, my symptoms are getting significantly worse - extreme nausea, extreme light sensativity, constant pain, severe stabbing pain, migraines, motion sickness....

I've seen generic eye doctors, cornea specalists, neuro-optamologists. I have full blood work and an MRI. The doctors are stumped.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi jkw,
    I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. I don't know much about migraines, motion sickness, nausea, etc...but have you been evaluated for autoimmune diseases like MS, sjogrens, lupus, etc? It might tie up all your eye symptoms plus your other systemic symptoms. AI disease are very tricky to diagnose, and will require a very good rheumatologist/immunologist and you might get the roundabout a few times...so you need to be persistent in that.

I'm sure this has been mentioned...but have you looked into depression/stress/anxiety disorders? I am in no way suggesting its "all in your head"...I hate it when eye docs do this. But sometimes the stress and depression from eye symptoms can cause or exacerbate other parts of your body, esp nausea and headaches.

As for your eye symptoms, how are you MGs? That is often overlooked and misdiagnosed by docs and can cause tremendous pain and discomfort despite good tear production.

This is kind of out there, but have you been evaluated for corneal neuralgia?

Comment

Oh, and one more thing. Have all your docs thoroughly investigated any medications you may have used in past or are currently using? Side effects from certain medications can exacerbate symptoms.

Comment

symptoms

'severe stabbing pains' makes one wonder whether recurring epithelial erosions isn't the issue here...that can be somewhat independent of 'plain' dry eye, from what I gather at leat.

Comment

Tmj?

Do you have TMJ? TMJ has many symptoms, and the ones that you mention are among them...

Just a thought.
          Gretchen

Comment

One factor to consider is that diseased corneas are less sensitive than healthy ones.

Comment

Working...
            X