Success with Boston Scleral Lens!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success with Boston Scleral Lens!

I am a young male who has always been very healthy and active. I mysteriously developed eye problems and other health problems about two years ago. I recently went to the Boston foundation for sight and the scleral lens have made a huge difference in my life!

Eye problem:
    Over a period of about six months in my mid-20s, my eyes went from completely healthy to completely disabling.

My eyes burned constantly and were very sensitive to light. It was very painful to read, watch TV, work at the computer, or do just about anything.

I saw a large number of eye doctors who struggled to give me answers. The only problem they found was dry eye as measured by the Schirmer's test (0-2 w/o anasthesia). They did not find much staining.

I tried all of the dry eye treatments: drops, plugs, steroids, restasis, doxycycline, omega3, compresses, etc... but nothing helped at all.

I obtained tinted goggles, similar to panoptx, which helped, but I did not want to wear these all of the time for the rest of my life.

Other health problems:
    I developed a number of other health problems about the same time.

Intense neuropathic pain and muscle pain in my hands, arms, shoulders and feet but only when I am using my hands or am on my feet.

It is very difficult to for me to write or work at the computer because of this pain. However, if I am still, there is almost no pain.

Additionally, I had constant but mild unilateral headaches, swollen lymph nodes, and other issues.

I have also seen a large number of doctors about these problems, but again there is no answer. I even had a week of testing at the Mayo Clinic.

I have tried drugs for nerve and muscle pain (lyrica, neurontin, tramadol), but none of them helped.

Boston Lens
    I recently went to the Boston foundation for sight based on my own research and this website... as a last resort.

When I first tried the lens, they significantly reduced the burning pain and light sensitivity... however, my eyes became very irritated by the lens and I could only wear them for about two hours. It was devastating... I was out of options.

However, the doctors were persistent and listened to my complaints and tried anesthesia inside the lens. This seemed to do the trick: I could wear them 8-12 hours.

Now I can wear them without the anesthesia. I wear them every day 8-12 hours and my eyes feel almost normal when they are in... a little light sensitivity but almost no burning pain.

I could wear the lens more but for some reason my eyes become bloodshot after about 8-10 hours (which subsides by the next morning).

When the lens are out, my eyes are as bad as ever... so I wear the tinted goggles.

The lens have made such a huge difference in my life! The people at BFS are truly amazing - especially Dr Rosenthal.

dude GREAT story...i'm glad for you

Comment

Hi there!
      Your story sounds amazing.
      I have the same problems with the scleral lenses. I can't wear them longer than 2 hours because of my severe blepharitis. The lenses hurt after some time.
      What anesthasia did you use? Is it preservative free? Because my scleral fitter told me that I can only use preservative free solutions with the lense.
      Isn't it dangerous to supress the pain that the lenses cause with anesthesia? I'm a little bit sceptical, but I also want a solution for my dry eye problem so perhaps I'll try it with anesthesia...
      Any other opinions?:-)
      Please don't hesitate to correct my English - I'm still learning

Comment

Thanks so much for posting your story. You have been through a lot! I am amazed at how thing worked out with the lenses and so happy for you. That temporary use of the anaesthetic is very interesting - I didn't even know of the possibility but it's fascinating how it helped get you over the hump into fulltime wear. Wonderful.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

I'm so happy for you
          just keep swimming...

Comment

Thank you for posting, and I do hope that with time AND WEAring the lenses ur eyes will get so much better! please keep posting

Comment

hey browneyes

Wow, you have my same exact life story.. Im a 21 year-old healthy college girl who mysteriously got this awful dry eye disease at the same time with facial pain. I have done everything. tests, CT scan, etc.. and while my facial pain has subsided, the dry eye is worst than ever. I have tried many treatments and I am about to start on Restasis, it doesnt work I am def gonna try the sclerals.

I am so glad you found relief with the BSL!

Comment

Working...
              X