Latest Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Update

So, I thought I would drop in and update everyone as to the latest with my situation. For those who do not know, close to a year ago I accidentally (who does this intentionally??) scratched the cornea of my left eye. Unbeknownst to me, at the time, I have a corneal dystrophy. One morning, shortly thereafter, I awakened and it felt as though my eyelid had stuck to my eyeball. At the time I thought, 'Nah! That can't happen!' Little did I know. While I did not experience much pain at that time, my vision was quite blurry, my eye quite sensitive to the light, and it felt as though something was in my eye, although nothing I did relieved the feeling.

About a week went by and I was fine. Then, it happened again, my eyelid felt as though it had stuck to my eyeball. Then it did not stop happening. Within a few days, I was in misery. The pain was horrendous. I went to the ER, and was referred to an ophthalmologist. He told me I had Map Dot Fingerprint Dystrophy. He tried a couple of different options, including a contact bandage on my eye. Nothing worked. He then told me we needed to try anterior stromal puncture. I was unwilling to try that...until the situation once again got very, very bad. Now it's been 4 months since I had the puncture done. I sleep through the night, no waking up to dose my eye. I do still dose every night before bed, cover my eye with plastic wrap to keep in the moisture, then cover that with an eye patch to prevent it from being dislodged in my sleep. When something is needed during the day, I use TheraTears Liquid Gel (R). At night I use Genteal Gel (R). Both are for severe dry eye.

My doctor told me my case was the worst he had ever seen, although compared to many of the cases about which I've read on here, I don't think it was all that severe. For me the stromal puncture worked great, and I am very grateful for deciding to do it. I could not live the way I was living. For the most part, mine is a success story. My eye will almost definitely never be the way it was before this happened, but I can live with the situation as it stands

Thanks for posting! Wonderful to hear about your progress and I'm sure this will bring hope to others who have ABMD.

Originally posted by morgaine101 View Post
    My eye will almost definitely never be the way it was before this happened, but I can live with the situation as it stands
    That's pretty much how I feel about my eyes. It's a good goal for others to aim at and always great to see it being achieved by yet another person.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
      Thanks for posting! Wonderful to hear about your progress and I'm sure this will bring hope to others who have ABMD....It's a good goal for others to aim at and always great to see it being achieved by yet another person.
      I remember browsing this site as I tried to find solutions to my problems: The inability to sleep because my eyelid would stick to my cornea and tear it off; how to work while going through all of it. It was so overwhelming, and I was so scared. Reading about the success of others helped me to continue hanging on, even when it seemed hopeless: If they found help, maybe I could, too. Thus, I think it's very important to come back here and finish the story, not just write about the awfulness, but also about the joy as something works. I was beyond terrified to get the stromal puncture done, but I was also out of options. Now I'm so glad I did it.

Thanks for all your support, Rebecca. You helped so much, and it was so comforting just to know you were there, and rooting for me

Comment

Working...
      X