X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stockholm1980 View Post
    Hi all! Sorry for late answer.

I noticed a change pretty quick - to my own big surprise. The first week I did warm potatoes several times a day. (Since my christmas was terrible I wanted to do "everything" at the same time.) From that quite quick change my eyes have improved gradually to where I am today.

I drink about two very strong cups of coffee a day. Friday and saturday evenings I drink about 3-4 glasses of wine (thatīs about what it takes to make me drunk enough to relax and not think about work and stuff).

I canīt say that I eat LCHF, bud I eat more fat and less carbs than most people, i.e. I eat "LCHF-light".

My eyelids used to be "semi-inflamed", what that might mean.

Btw, my doctor seemed happy and almost shocked at my last control; "you actually have drops! and your glands are much better too".
    Hi, I sent you a pm!

Comment

Hi all! Sorry for late answer.

I noticed a change pretty quick - to my own big surprise. The first week I did warm potatoes several times a day. (Since my christmas was terrible I wanted to do "everything" at the same time.) From that quite quick change my eyes have improved gradually to where I am today.

I drink about two very strong cups of coffee a day. Friday and saturday evenings I drink about 3-4 glasses of wine (thatīs about what it takes to make me drunk enough to relax and not think about work and stuff).

I canīt say that I eat LCHF, bud I eat more fat and less carbs than most people, i.e. I eat "LCHF-light".

My eyelids used to be "semi-inflamed", what that might mean.

Btw, my doctor seemed happy and almost shocked at my last control; "you actually have drops! and your glands are much better too".
      Hi, I sent you a pm!

Comment

This is my first post

Hi, I am new to this forum and I felt I had to reply to your post as I have Coeliacs disease and don't eat wheat, or gluten and am also intolerant to dairy foods. I found your post interesting as I have only recently been diagnosed with dry eye. Do you think perhaps that there is something else in your lifestyle that may have made your eye problem improve?

I am pleased you are much better, but I would not want anyone to get their hopes up too much.

Hi!

Sorry for my english. Iīm from Sweden. I hope you understand me anyway.

My last 4 years have been quite terrible. Good days have been bad, and bad days have been worse. In periods so much pain that I would have cried if only my eyes had had the capacity...

Christmas 2012 was terrible.

Since Iīve seen on the net that more than one people have got cured by stop eating/drinking lactulose and gluten I thought that, what the hell, what can I loose if I try that?

I didnīt belive in it at all (since my eye doctor said that he had never heard about the connection) but to my surprise my eyes got quite fast better and better and I could step by step reduce the amounts of drops.

For 2 month now I have not used drops at all. I donīt think I have to convince you about how the change has effected my life...

What I do except from not eat and drink lactulose and gluten is:

4 capsules of Thera thears a day
        Warm (by micro wave oven) potatoes in a towel, two times a day - 5 min

But, Iīve done Thera thers and warm potatoes for a very long time and as long as I ate lactulose/gluten it was still terrible.

Letīs say that I have bearable pain at avarage 25% of the day (if I donīt drop, which I donīt - if needed, emediate reliase with warm potatoes) and at average 75% of the day I have absolutely no pain at all. And please notice, Iīm a cheater. I do not drink milk and my daily bread are gluten-free, but I cheat and eat Ben&Jerry in weekands and so. If I wasnīt cheating, parhaps I would be completely free from pain 100% of the time.

I hope this will help someone.

Comment

Originally posted by FizzyFi View Post
          Hi, I am new to this forum and I felt I had to reply to your post as I have Coeliacs disease and don't eat wheat, or gluten and am also intolerant to dairy foods. I found your post interesting as I have only recently been diagnosed with dry eye. Do you think perhaps that there is something else in your lifestyle that may have made your eye problem improve?

I am pleased you are much better, but I would not want anyone to get their hopes up too much.
          Nothing else in my lifestile, no. In fact, I would say absolutely no.

But. That doesnīt mean that we can be absolutely sure that itīs the gluten/lactouse that have improved my eyes. I donīt say that itīs likely but if a desease just comes to you without a understandable reason, I guess it can also dissapear without a reason. So, sure? No.

But, if itīs a coincidence, itīs a quity unlikely one. My eyes have been almost ridiculous dry (from both lipid and watery point of view) for several years, and at the same time that I stopped with gluten/lactouse I got a new life.

Comment

every person is so different and each respond to different therapies. I also know that when I eat clean my eyes do look a bit better.. But I've never completely eliminated wheat/sugar. I have drastically reduced consumption but haven't eliminated it yet. It's hard for me. I also have noticed that I can't do compresses twice a day, it's to much for me and my eyes get really irritated and red when I do them in the morning, so I just stick with a hot shower. My eyes have been especially red lately, and I think it must be from upping my compress use. My boyfriend told me "if I did as much stuff to my eyes in a day as u do, my eyes would be red too" maybe he's right..maybe it's to much. I just get stuck in wanting the inflammation down so bad I make it worse. Lol I am using Restasis and serum and Thera tears. maybe that's to much too?

Comment

Stockholme, do you mean lactulose as in a laxative? Or dairy products?

Glad to hear you're doing so well.

Comment

Originally posted by FizzyFi View Post

We all have such different causes of dry eye, some of us have multiple contributing factors - so for sure, not everyone's dry eyes will improve from giving up wheat and/or other foods.

I think the point to take away from this is merely that if one has tried everything else and failed, it can't hurt to consider the possibility of a food allergy/sensitivity causing the dry eye symptoms, which may, in fact, be caused by an allergy of sorts.

And, it's also interesting that it's possible for one to have dry eye as the only noticeable symptom of a food allergy/sensitivity... this is perhaps uncommon, but worth considering... not much to lose by trying and doing an experiment with giving up wheat for example.

I once saw an ophthmologist (almost 20 years ago) who mentioned that he had a patient once who had red, irritated, itchy eyes for no apparent reason - but when that patient stopped eating wheat, his eyes got 100% better - the dr. said it was quite shocking since one would expect someone with a food allergy to have digestive symptoms, not ocular symptoms... This ophthamologist was maybe 50 years old or so at the time, so had been practicing many, many years - I got the impression that this was the one and only time he'd ever come across a situation like that where FOOD was causing the eye to get inflamed... so must be pretty rare.

But of course, rare does not mean impossible... so might as well consider this possibility if the more likely causes have been eliminated.

Comment

I think Sagg is right. Most people have dry eye from some other reason than a food sensitivity/allergy but it still could be a contributing factor. Gluten does cause inflammation in the body so it makes sense that SOME patients will improve when it is removed. I have read many articles that have linked wheat and dairy to severe acne as well. The article gave examples of people who gave up gluten in an effort (kind of an experiment) to rid themselves of acne. Some patients that had tried everything else improved completely after wheat elimination. my doctor said I have blepharitis due to acne I used to have so I am trying this out.
                  SAGG I know you told me before your redness improved a lot after wheat removal. How long did you go before you noticed this change? Just curious... And how obvious was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
                    SAGG I know you told me before your redness improved a lot after wheat removal. How long did you go before you noticed this change? Just curious... And how obvious was it?
                    For my MG's, maybe within a week it was starting to get noticeable, and very noticeable within 2 weeks (this is me looking at them via an LED-lit high-powered magnifying mirror) As for the redness, it's been a long time, but I'd say it improved along the same timeline as the MG's. And yes, definitely easily noticeable visually when redness improves. Add to that, as the MG's improve, my eyes feel more wet, and take longer to get irritated compared to when I'm eating wheat.

Comment

My eyes have gotten much better on the GAPS diet which at the start i removed all wheat and dairy. Maybe this connection is uncommonly noticed because wheat and dairy are so prevalent in our food supply. Its pretty hard to avoid wheat and dairy so a lot of people might not give it up for that reason. Its definitely worth a shot in my opinion to do it for a month and see how you feel. Its one of those things to try that really has no downsides or negative side effects if it doesn't work
                      Last edited by gormz; 25-Mar-2013, 16:56. Reason: a

Comment

Originally posted by gilligan_1434 View Post
                        Stockholme, do you mean lactulose as in a laxative? Or dairy products?

Glad to hear you're doing so well.
                        Sorry... I donīt eat lactulose... I never did. I mean lactose - "milk sugar".

Comment

Stockholm I am eliminating gluten from my diet. I don't know if I can eliminate diary but I am cutting down. We're your eyes noticeably less red? I kind of feel better in my lids which is shocking because even Steriods dont keep them down for long. I feel like this is the way to go.. Give us an update on if your dry eye is still gone. I feel like some people post when they are better for a few days, then post again a month later saying they are bad again. (I don't mean you lol) Thanks for ur post!

Comment

Still feeling fine! Not 100% but 97%. I havenīt used drops for several weeks now.

Comment

That's great! Have u used any prescription drops in the past?

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
                                That's great! Have u used any prescription drops in the past?
                                During my dry eyes period I tried all drops I could find. The last year I used most Systane Ultra and Oftagel.

Comment

Working...
                                X