This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scleral lense

hi,everyone. I'm a serious dry eye patient in mainland China. I've heard that the scleral lenses will be helpful to relieve the dry eye symptom so I went to order one. But after my wearing of the lenses, there has been left a deep red track on the sclera when I took off the lenses. So here I want to ask you guys whether you were troubled by the same symptoms? Or can anyone explain it to me that whether it is a normal phenomenon or something wrong?
    sincerely thank you for ur attention.

If the scleral lens is pressing to hard in an area of the eye it will causie a readness when removing it. How long did you wear it for? was in comfortable? what brand is it? I have not heard of people "ordering" scleral lenses. The main thing to do is to visit a clinic who fits sclerals.

Comment

Do you mean the red circle where the lens sit your eyes ? When you use plunger to take the lens off you press your eyes so the red circles appear. They would disappear after few hours.
      But if you feel uncomfortable pr painful you should ask your doctor to change the lens for you.
      Where do you get your lens ? I'm from Taiwan and I got mine in HK.

Carol

Comment

When a scleral sits on the eye it creates a negative pressure like the suction cup on a dart. If the vacuum was not created the lens would not stay on the eye so it is going to pull the blood to the area around the area of suction so a red ring is going to happen. My scleral leaves a read ring around my cornea after removal and on the inside of my scleral near my nose there is a red area. Both of these clear a hour after removal. I can wear my lens for around 12 hours without discomfort. My optometrist said the ring is normal it is simply an impression area were the lens suctions to the eye. The crucial thing is to make sure that there is no scleral blanching which is caused by a lens that is too tight that then cuts off the blood flow to the cornea. The doctor applies a dye to the eye and observes that there is some uptake of the dye under the lens. He can also observe the vessels to ensure the blood flow is not cut off.

Comment

Originally posted by dryeyedave View Post
          When a scleral sits on the eye it creates a negative pressure like the suction cup on a dart. If the vacuum was not created the lens would not stay on the eye so it is going to pull the blood to the area around the area of suction so a red ring is going to happen. My scleral leaves a read ring around my cornea after removal and on the inside of my scleral near my nose there is a red area. Both of these clear a hour after removal. I can wear my lens for around 12 hours without discomfort.
          Glad to find this post, that was my question. After 8 hours wear on day 2 I had a bloodshot ring around the cornea that went away in an hour or two. Happy to hear this is 'normal'...F/G

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
            Glad to find this post, that was my question. After 8 hours wear on day 2 I had a bloodshot ring around the cornea that went away in an hour or two. Happy to hear this is 'normal'...F/G

I do not use conditioner. I tried Boson conditioner and Lobob(rewetting drop) but neither improved my wear time and both irritated my eye. I hope you are using unpreserved saline to fill the bowl of the lens, even UNISOL will irritate your eyes. You can order it on amazon it is "Airlife Modudose .9% Sodium Chloride Solution, USP" by Carefusion.

I clean my lens in peroxide and I just leave it in the cleaning container with the neutralized peroxide solution. I rinse the lens with tap water before I put it in and right after I take it out for the night. I no longer need to do this but if I need to take the lens out for some reason and then put it back in with a few minutes I would remove it, rinse it with plain tap water, clean with Lobob Optimum CDS, rinse with "cold" tap water, refill the lens with sterile saline (the kind in the pink droppers mentioned above), and reinsert. If you want to lubricate the lens with something put the lens in your eye then put a drop of Bion Tears right dead center of the lens then blink and let it sit for a second then add a drop of refresh classic(that's the name). This combination seems to work best. I really no longer add more than one drop of lubricant through out the day right after installation.

If I am going to store my lens long term I would store it in Lobob CDS.

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
              I want to add something else. You need to address your concerns to your eye doctor. My experience is based on my consultation and evaluation by my doc so please don't just take my word for it. It is possible your lens is too tight or maybe not but your doc can check these things. Some things to ask: does the lens moves when he pushes on it?; is there any vessel blanching; has he put dye in your eye and checked for uptake under the lens?; and does your lens push down with each blink? Go to him in the evening after wearing the lens for several hours and remove it and ask him if your eye looks normal. Just a few suggestions.

Communicate with your MD. If he or she will not address your concerns go elsewhere even if you have to pay out of your pocket. I would not wear a painful, uncomfortable or poorly fitting scleral we all have enough issues to deal with without adding an injury from a bad lens.

Best of luck.

Comment

Yes this is definately true. I've had multiple scleral lens fittings and the red ring was caused by the lens sitting too far back and tight on the eye. So they thinned the edges out and made it sit lighter. As a result it was easier to remove and the red ring was not apparent.

Comment

Working...
                X