Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jads-Which supplements do you use? Just the Maca?

Comment

Kate, Maca was the "go to" for me for balance. Vitamin C, Omega 3s, Resveratrol were excellent for inflammation and general health.
      Jamie

Comment

Thanks! Just ordered some Maca on Amazon.

Comment

The only thing that scares me about maca is, I am a very anxious person who doesn't need extra stimulation. I have heard maca is a stimulant? Does it cause excess energy and stimulation? I stopped drinking caffeine recently which is helping.

Comment

Jads,

Were blood tests or saliva teststhe hormone tests that showed low testosterone to you ?

I have low cortisol and low testosterone in saliva test but normal in the blood test. What I feel and my symptoms give all the reason to the saliva test.

thank you very much

Comment

bakunin,

my preference is saliva. Although there seems to be debate over which is better, blood or saliva. The key is measuring "free" or bioavailable testosterone: how much testosterone is available to interact with tissues and cells. Normally much of our testosterone and other sex hormones travel round our body bound to a substance called SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin)

It's the level of SHBG that in away regulates how much testosterone is free and how much is not. Too much SHBG and you have too little "free" sex hormone available to be active in your tissues. This is why doctors look at your SHBG levels when assessing hormone levels via blood tests. Estrogen dominance is associated with high SHGB levels. Blood tests are absolutely valid if your doctor is experienced in interpreting the results properly.

Saliva tests only measure the "free" levels because the samples are drawn directly from tissue not from the blood.

If you have low T from a saliva test, it typically means you have low free (bioavailable) Testosterone even though your blood tests might be within a normal range. Note, the range of what is considered "normal" for a blood test is usually quite wide. How many times have you been to the doctor feeling unwell, only to be told your blood tests are fine ! :-)
              Jamie

Comment

Jads,

do you know if this testing is at the low side?

Testosterone

reading = 15.7 range=(8.4 - 28.7) nmol/L

(Roche - Electrochemiluminescence)

1000 - Specimen Drawn h

Thanks

Comment

Vinnie, you really want to be somewhere in the top 3rd of that range. i.e. over 20 nmol/L Exercise, including resistance training, and weight loss are two factors in maintaining healthy levels.

Testosterone declines with age. Studies show that T levels below 8 nmol/L are associated with poor health outcomes.

http://eurheartj.oxfordjournals.org/.../1494.full.pdf
                  Jamie

Comment

Thanks Jamie,

I guess I'm a little at the low level, I'm 32 but I do have quite a belly and does not exercise and I eat a lot of junk food. I wonder at how low your testosterone level until it starts to affect your tear production. What's your opinion on testosterone booster? Apparently it works for some and it does raise their testosterone level.

Vinnie

Comment

Great questions Vinnie. It will differ for everyone as to how low your testosterone level has to get before you see symptoms. For example, if you are experiencing symptoms at 15 nmol/L it may be that for "you" your T needs to be over 20 to get some relief.

If you are carrying too much weight around the middle you are more than likely estrogen dominant. As a guy, that's not where you want to be !

A while ago I recall having a saliva-based testosterone check and I was at the very top of the range. My eyes were great at the time. I just used Maca, a good diet and exercise.

I'm not a big fan of drugs for boosting your T levels, though in extreme circumstances people need this no question.
                      Jamie

Comment

So my Maca Powder and DIM-plus supplement arrived today. Now the question how much should I take every day?

On the DIM plus it is written: for men, take 2 caps twice daily with food
                        and on the MACA there is nothing written how much g to use?

So what is best for me? I really donīt want to use to much, because I donīt really feel that I have a low hormone level...

What would you suggest me jads?

thanks in advance
                        Bojan

Comment

re: Maca
                          Not sure which kind you have, but the directions on the one I have "Maca Powder" (gelatinzed) indicates 1 teaspoon.

Comment

bojan, re the Maca. A guideline I used was to start with a teaspoon a day with juice or smoothie or whatever you prefer. The taste isn't all that great so juices or shakes are good options. See how you feel, then increase to two teaspoons a day. A lot of people report increased energy, alertness (sometimes too much) and enhanced libido.

The idea is to take as little or as much for your own metabolism to make you feel balanced, energised and see a good improvement with your eyes.
                            Jamie

Comment

Any feedback on the Maca root anyone? Good, bad or otherwise.
                              Jamie

Comment

I haven't tried yet but think I will. If I have it in the morning, will it interfere with my sleep?

Comment

Working...
                                X