This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dry eye success story

I have visited this site for the past 18-20 months and found some success that I wanted to share with this group. My dry eyes came on gradually in the summer of 2012 until I had to use lacrisert solid eye drops daily. I could not go without them and get through the day. I went to several doctors and the best option was the lacriserts, which made my dry eyes bearable but I still looked exhausted all the time and my eyes felt dry and gritty. In retrospect, I have been tired and fatigued but did not fully realize it until the past two weeks. I am 47 years old and found it taxing to climb the stairs and to squat down and easily get back up. This concerned me and I went to the Dr and asked him to check my Vitamin B12 and Methylmalonic Acid because I had had a deficiency in 2008 that felt very similar to how I had been feeling. My doctor is wonderful, he drew the blood and went ahead and gave me the vitamin b12 shot. Within 6 hours of the shot, my eyes started feeling better, that was three weeks ago this week, and I just today had my third shot. I am amazed, my eyes are abou 85-90% better. I am still using eye drops occasionally throughout the day, but nothing like I was before.

Its important to get both Vitb12 and methylmalonic acid checked because your body's need for vitamin b12 may not match with the standard guidelines and if your methylmalonic acid is high it means that your body has been creating high amounts of methylmalonic acid to accomadate the loss of vitamin b12. My Vitamin B12 look at the lower end of normal, but the methylmalonic acid was very high. Also, I was extremely low in Vitamin d. You can go to any vitamin store and purchase b12 - be sure to get the variety that is labeled methyl - it is the best absorbed, and get the chewable or sublingual kind that melts under your tongue. Also, I found that there is a bariatric weight loss clinic near me that give b12 shots for $15a shot without a prescription since it is a vitamin. It is definitely worth a try.

I hope this helps someone. Just as an fyi, I get a b12 shot once a week and will continue to do so for another 6 weeks and then will try to move onto the sublingual b12, I take 5000 units of vitamin d3, 400mg of magnesium glycinate and plan on adding 200mg selinium too. But, it was the b12 that i found immediate relief before adding any of these other vitamins into the regimen.

Lisa

Thanks for sharing this with us here Lisa - very happy to hear you're doing so much better. And kudos on your persistence.

Comment

I tried this about 2 years ago. My B12 was slightly low. I didnt check the methylmalonic acid, not sure if the doc did. Anyway, he had me taking B-12 pills, but it did not make a difference in my eyes. I am 49. I wonder if the shot would help better. Thanks for the info. I think maybe I will try it again.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by runnergirl View Post
        I tried this about 2 years ago. My B12 was slightly low. I didnt check the methylmalonic acid, not sure if the doc did. Anyway, he had me taking B-12 pills, but it did not make a difference in my eyes. I am 49. I wonder if the shot would help better. Thanks for the info. I think maybe I will try it again.

Sue
        I think you should - and definitely the B12 shot - the second shot I got was a B complex serum because apparently there is a manufacturing shortage of B12 and my dr did have any B12 and I could tell a difference in that shot compared to the last one I got that was a B12. Also, do get the methyl b12 lozanges to use in between shots. Good Luck, I hope you find some relief! Lisa

Comment

Working...
        X