so much better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so much better

Have been seeking relief for over 4.5 years now from severe dry eye and 10 years before that with moderate dry eye with minutes of decrease from lubricant drops, good night relief with goggles, no help from Restasis, decent relief from intermittent steroid drops etc. Last week I came across more discussion about oils used in eyes and read about castor oil versus others -one article of interest was http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

Anyway having had a particularly bad 2 days with the very dry static electricity air at work and bright lights I thought about trying some olive oil in desperation. Recalling how lotions particularly sunscreens etc. tend to creep into the eyes unbidden I put just a wisp of extra virgin first cold press olive oil on my little finger and spread it about an 1/8th of an inch on the skin below my lower lids and an 1/8th of an inch away from the outer corners of my eyes, again on the skin.
    I knew it had crept into my eyes because of the incredible relief I felt about an hour later. Way too simple to be true. It seems to last about 12 hours after each application. About 5 days after using this remedy I wore a contact lens in my worst eye without difficulty at all for 9 hours! (Had not worn a lens for over 4 hours in 6 months and then only after a methylprednisolone steroid drop.) Did not have to re-wet it or "unstick" it during the day at all and vision did not blur up constantly as it would usually do. In fact it was necessary to adjust to seeing so clearly in close surroundings. Once home, the contact lens was incredibly easy to remove, just slid out without soaking my eye first.
    Sorry to sound like I'm gushing but it just seems ridiculously simple. Hope it lasts. Would assume it is the oil's ability to keep the tear film even but apparently olive oil has anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory properties too.

If you try this, please post what your experience is after a few days trial. Again, please note that you only need a wisp of it i.e. lightly blot your finger first before applying to your skin.

Bev: Thanks for posting this! I started thinking about the possible negative impact of commercial eye creams on DES a week ago, when I ran out of my regular facial cleanser, grabbed a tube of another brand I had in my closet, and accidentally got some in my eyes. My regular cleanser doesn't sting when it gets in my eyes, but this one set my dry eye on fire! I rinsed it out for several minutes with Unisol, but it was still bright red for an hour or two.

That incident started me thinking that some products I use around my eyes could be contributing to DES, even if they don't sting. I am being more careful about applying facial moisturizers and sunscreens away from my eyes to avoid possible migration. But I also need to use some kind of moisturizer on my eyelids, and I am suspicious that eye creams that may be fine for people without DES may not be good for those of us with the condition.

Since I haven't found an eye cream that's been certified as not contributing to DES, your suggestion about olive oil is very timely. The fact that it might benefit dry eye, as well as dry skin, has me really excited! Not to mention that if it doesn't work, I can still use to make dinner...

Comment

I tried it immediately after reading your post, Bev, even before I replied to this thread. You may be onto something here. Thanks for experimenting and letting us know about it.

Comment

this is really interesting, how are your eyes feeling now after trying this?

I'm getting pretty desperate to get some relief.. I may try this.. hows it going for the posters who have tried this?

Comment

Originally posted by yoganut
          I'm getting pretty desperate to get some relief.. I may try this.. hows it going for the posters who have tried this?
          I tried it this morning, and it is now 3:23 p.m., and my eyes feel better than they have for the past two days. (I also am on my second night of using Tranquileyes, so that may be helping, too.) I know that the olive oil got into my eyes, because they were blurry for a couple of hours after I put it under my eyes. The blurriness did not bother me, however, because it was a different kind of blurry than what I get after a corneal erosion. It's more like there's a smudge on my glasses than an inability to focus. I'm going to try and keep doing this but at night, because that is when life gets hard for me. I've been taking a teaspoon of olive oil orally right before bed when my eyes would feel horrible, and I believe that that helped, too.

So far, no adverse effects.

Comment

I'm tempted to go get some olive oil right now. I want to make sure I'm doing it right though.

What if I put it in a dropper and dropped it on my eyes? Would that be too much? Is there anything dangerous at all in extra virgin olive oil? I just want to clarify before I put anything not intended for eyes into my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Eyeburn
              I'm tempted to go get some olive oil right now. I want to make sure I'm doing it right though.

What if I put it in a dropper and dropped it on my eyes? Would that be too much? Is there anything dangerous at all in extra virgin olive oil? I just want to clarify before I put anything not intended for eyes into my eyes.
              I did not put it directly into my eyes. I just did what Bev said and put a drop on my little finger and slid it onto the skin under my eyes. It was morning, so I put it right on my "bags," as they were quite easy to find.

Comment

Originally posted by liz56
                I did not put it directly into my eyes. I just did what Bev said and put a drop on my little finger and slid it onto the skin under my eyes. It was morning, so I put it right on my "bags," as they were quite easy to find.
                I too have these purple lines under my eyes because of dry eyes(on the days when it feels better my bags are gone).

I did the same thing sort of. I just a minute ago closed my eyes and just ran the olive oil on my pinky finger along my upper and lower lids and corner of the outter eye.

Instantly I noticed some relief, which got me excited. At this moment, i'm 3 minutes in and my eyes still are better than they were before(burning and dry feeling, although now they feel oily but much less sore). Let's hope this feeling gets better.

I'll keep you guys posted, and for all of you others that are trying this, please do the same.

Comment

Also, my cooking virgin oil does not say cold pressed. Is that necessary to list that? It just says Extra virgin.

Comment

Originally posted by Eyeburn
                    Also, my cooking virgin oil does not say cold pressed. Is that necessary to list that? It just says Extra virgin.

It seems, as best as a I can find, that Extra Virgin is by definition a result of the first cold press so apparently it is redundant to say how it is pressed. Extra Virgin has less than 1% acidity whereas with further pressing or refining, acidity can reach 4% or more. According to http://www.oliveoilsource.com/olivechemistry.htm#pH: the actual pH can not be measured since it is not water-soluble.
                    Other types of olive oil may have had chemical extraction applied also. This site had a concise definition of different types of olive oil in the green shaded box halfway down the page http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxifi.../olive-oil.htm

Comment

I wish I could say I'm having as much luck with the olive oil as you guys,
                      but I put some around my eyes at 1pm, 3pm and just now.. the left eye feels reasonably ok, but my right eye is the worse one, my eyelid still feels like it sticks to my eyeball when I blink (this doesn't happen every day though) but today it is, I know that some oil got in there because my eyes are blurry, but its really not that bad, I can still see fine. Fingers crossed it'll kick in soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bev
                        It seems, as best as a I can find, that Extra Virgin is by definition a result of the first cold press so apparently it is redundant to say how it is pressed. Extra Virgin has less than 1% acidity whereas with further pressing or refining, acidity can reach 4% or more. According to http://www.oliveoilsource.com/olivechemistry.htm#pH: the actual pH can not be measured since it is not water-soluble.
                        Other types of olive oil may have had chemical extraction applied also. This site had a concise definition of different types of olive oil in the green shaded box halfway down the page http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxifi.../olive-oil.htm
                        Thanks, then I imagine I have the right stuff.

Unfortunately, two hours later and my eyes are extremely sensitive again. They feel more watery as well and I'm blinking a million times a minute and squinting again cause of the burning.

I'll give it a couple days. My eyes never got blurry though, but I did put it all over my eyelids, so I imagine I used enough.

Would it be dangerous to use it as eye drops instead?

Comment

vasaline queen

Hi all,
                          I just started putting a little vasaline (petroleum jelly) in the corners and around lower lids/lashline and got terrific relief! Probably just as good as olive oil and easier/cheaper. I keep my eye jelly separate and always wash hands, don't want to contaminate.

Comment

Is anyone still trying this?

I'm on my 3rd day. I swipe a small amount aound my eyes, for me it seems to be a great eye area moisturizer. My eyes have felt a little better the past 2 days, not sure if its due to applying olive oil around them or just not using eye drops. I'm still doggedly inserting the Restasis, just careful to immediately rinse any residue away from my under eye area because of intense itching after using restasis.

Comment

Has anyone asked medical opinion with regards to applying Extra Virgin olive oil to the eyelids?

Comment

Working...
                              X