Workshops - 2/18/06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just coming along..........

Folks, I have not read all of the above. The Medic Alert would be as good as anything to alert others of our problems in the event of incapacity.

As someone above said........"see ophahtalmologist" or something similar. When you subscribe to Medic Alert, the idea is to have (on record) your specific problems. You call the number on the medic alert for details. For example, if you're diabetic......your bracelet would say diabetic......(duh) but also give more info as to other meds you take, special circumstances surrounding your health problems. In other words, you can be specific. You can only get so much on a bracelet, but they help you word your inscription.

I think in fact, we should all have one. My daughter is diabetic and wears soft contact lens. She wears a Medic Alert bracelet at all times.
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Medicalert & Hospital

This is a subject that is close to home for me. I wear the Medicalert Bracelet from : www.medicalert.org

My bracelet lists the words: Sjogren's Syndrome, Polyneuropathy, call immediately and the phone no. to call the Medicalert 24 hour contact line.

They have a form that you fill out on line and everything listed on that form (lots of room for information) is then available to the healthcare provider, emergency room staff, etc. simply by a number that is on your bracelet that matches records that Medicalert has.

I did not check the form to see if dry eye is one of the things listed as a disease, but there was a place to list all my meds and doctors.

I have complicated diseases. I recently was hospitalized and I was able to hand the ambulance driver a list of all prescription and over the counter meds that are necessary for my diseases and eyes. I keep this list on my computer and update it as necessary. I keep a copy of it in my wallet, in my car and attached to the front of the refrigerator. My husband took the copy off the fridge for this. They were able to verify everything with my medicalert bracelet.

With eye problems that are serious enough to belong to a forum, these are my ways of coping and they seem to work.

Billye

Comment

Indulge me, Rebecca. It was a good and informative weekend. RIP Phyllis & Mary.
        Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

(((Cindy))) Sigh. I was just thinking about that weekend yesterday too. I'm so glad we got that time.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
          X