No announcement yet.

Lasik sufferer - Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you to everyone that responded. I really appreciate "hearing" your voices out there in support.

Margaret

Comment

What research is being done for dry eye? If we were to collect money for that cause, who should we send it to?!

Thanks!
      Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret View Post
        Ok, I'll try taping it shut tonight.

I noticed that you are living in Polsbo, WA? I live in Gig Harbor! What opthamologist do you see or suggest?

Thanks again,
        Margaret
        Howdy neighbor! If you ever head up this way let me know if you want to drop by

I don't have an ophthalmologist on the peninsula and I've not bothered to go to anybody in Seattle because it's not practical for me. I see two optometrists. Paul Williams at Parkland Eye in Tacoma (seedy part of town but their practice is really good) and Paul Jenson in Renton. They are both really good with dry eye. I particularly adore Dr. Jensen and know quite a number of his patients (including my sister and a handful of bulletin board members here).

What research is being done for dry eye? If we were to collect money for that cause, who should we send it to?!
        Who's doing research?

A buncha pharmaceuticals who saw the 9-digit Restasis sales and got jealous. They don't want our donations, they'll get them via our insurance companies when their drugs are approved.

Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation, a nonprofit. They sponsor research on other conditions too but I would think you can designate a donation to dry eye research.

Boston Foundation for Sight is researching things like the relationship of nerve pain to dry eye symptoms.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

My left eye is still sticky dry but I could at least live with it. My right eye is severely dry (day 14), has "something" in it and they said it looks like a clump of cells that healed together and didn't flatten out so they are going to scrape it down tomorrow. My doc thought that would not only help the severe dry eye on the right side but will relieve the pain I feel every time I blink. Ever since Lasik I told myself I'll never do another surgery again, but here I am the eve of the event telling you all how I'm about to. The doc said it would be very minor in comparison to Lasik, which is probably true, but talk about stressful.

Thanks for listening, you are all I have as far as people who know what this is all about.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret View Post
            My right eye is severely dry (day 14), has "something" in it and they said it looks like a clump of cells that healed together and didn't flatten out so they are going to scrape it down tomorrow.
            Is this something they're scraping off the top or are they lifting the flap and scraping cells underneath (which is what they do with epithelial ingrowth)?
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

It's off the top. He can see two bumps, one on each "corner" of the flaps that normally settle down flat and for some reason mine have not. So, he thinks that's what is causing the pain and he'd like to try to scrape those flat. He also put me on an antibiotic called Asatasis or something like that. It's azithromyacin I think? For some reason the one drop I used last night seemed to help, although I have no idea why one drop of anything would help that quickly.

Comment

still no relief. Having a really bad day today. I called Paul Jenson and I'll be seeing him today so maybe he can help me process what the heck is going on!

I have three young kids who are relying on me and I am not coming through for them lately at all.

Wish me luck...

Comment

Working...
                X