[UK] In agonising pain, NHS doctors solution: painkillers & sleeping tablets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by octoberends; 08-Feb-2019, 04:55.

Comment

Originally posted by octoberends View Post
      I am a 23 year old female ex-student in London. I decided to post my story here as I am in desperate need of advice. Shouldn't even be on a computer right now but I just don't know where else to turn.

11 weeks ago I came off the birth control pill (Yasmin) because I was experiencing pain and blurry vision in one eye. Once I stopped taking it the pain got significantly worse.

Opthamologists insisted that the pain was caused by headaches and prescribed me all sorts of strong painkillers and sleeping tablets (which I've been taking continuously for 9 weeks, plus medication to prevent stomach ulcers).

I was forced to drop out of uni, quit my job and lost my social life. I moved back in with my parents. I am unable to do anything the pain is so excruciating.

Anesthetic drops numbed the pain so the Dr then decided it must be blepharitis. I didn't think I had bleph (my eyelids looked fine) but as soon as I started the warm compresses and eyedrops some of the pain was relieved, and my eyelid began to swell and redden. Then I developed many little cysts on my lid margin.

My GP told me to go straight to A&E. I saw an opthamologist there who said that I couldn't have blepharitis because the pain I'm describing is too severe. He said my eye looked healthy (apart from 'eyelid irritation'), and that I could visit every opthamologist in the country and they would tell me the same thing. He said I should be happy that I don't have something serious. I tried explaining to him how this is affecting me - he said that I should just take the painkillers and get on with my life. I wish it was that easy.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm sat here crying in pain every day. The painkillers don't even do much, they just make me feel drowsy. It's like I'm not 'living' anymore, I'm just suffering, I can't even think straight from the drugs, it's a nightmare. I'm beginning to question whether it's even worth it. Sometimes it becomes so tempting just to OD on the meds and end the suffering for good.

My parents are worried and want to book me in with a private opthamologist . Whilst I'm willing to try anything at this point, I don't want them to spend their money only for me to be told the same thing.

Hang in there.Im also from the uk(well,ireland) and have found eye docs to be poor also.Im seeing Dr.Latkany this Xmas to get a proper opinion.At this stage,its important to have your family and friends around you.I was in a very similar situation,ready to commit suicide but have managed to get through this stage.Im sure u will find a treatment that work for you.Its just a matter of trial and error

Comment

Working...
      X