No announcement yet.

Future Scleral Lens fitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know whether a person can be fitted for sclerals if they have anesthesia dolorosa? I have contacted the Boston Center for Sight, but have not yet sent them any info. yet. I was just wondering if anyone knew about this before I take the time to collect all my records and send them to BCS. The more I think about it, the more I think it might be incredibly painful to try them.
    Maria

Comment

A warm welcome drmatter!

I'm really happy you found this forum and that you have been able to get all the experience with KConus and sclerals and other options, that you have. I look forward to your future posts.

Maria

Comment

Since LipiFlow and everything else has not worked, I did some internet research and saw an optometrist in San Jose named Sharon Lee and it looks like she fits scleral lenses,

Rebecca, do you think that is the person you were thinking of? It is still so overwhelming -- I am writing for my daughter, age 22, but I've been traveling along with her every step of this terrible journey.. interesting, one doctor thought sclerals would be good and referred to her to USC and another said he wouldn't recommend them. She is just looking for some comfort and good vision - like everyone else here..(she has very high farsightedness, astigmatism in both eyes and strabismus and now MGD.

By the way, Rebecca, thank you so much for you do and all you have done. Your empathy and everything you do is VERY much appreciated.

Comment

Hi Emerald,

That's not the person I was thinking of at the time I wrote that post... however, since that time Nancy Lee OD has started a PROSE clinic at UCSF which might be another option. She's really nice. With a challenging/complex vision situation plus the MGD sure sounds like that might be a promising route to go. I think that when there is vision at stake (for example keratoconus or other corneal disease) insurers are more likely to cover it than when it's straight dry eye.

Thanks for the kind note
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you, Rebecca, will probably contact her. She has been to an MD at UCSF before for these issues, so her records are there, so that might help.

Comment

Hello, I am so glad that you will be fitting scleral lenses, I wish there were more optometrists who would look into this. I just got my first pair a week ago, I am still adjusting I think, but I like them so far. I have a bit of a problem with cloudiness, I am having to take my lenses out and wash them several times a day, which is frustrating for me right now. My optometrist said that anything I am putting around my eyes, if it has oil in them, it will make its way into my eyes and cause the cloudiness. I think it might just be a matter of figuring out which of my products have oil in them? Is there anything else I can do to prevent the cloudiness?

Comment

Working...
              X