Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of artificial tears/goop do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viva drop

Has anyone tried Viva drops?
    Thank you for your advice.

Comment

My goop

Have just tried "systane "- not good for me - it irritated my eyes
      Also tried "theratears" - not for me either - not thick enough and doesnt last long
      Back to CELLUVISC
      IMPORTANT INFORMATION
      there seems to be TWO types of celluvisc
      1" Refresh celluvisc "- carboxymethylcellulose sodium 1% - produced by Allergan
      2 "celluvisc 1.0% eye drops" - carmellose sodium 5mgs/ml
      produced also by Allergan
      I use no 2 and because it is very thick it lasts much longer than anything else i have tried
      Maybe you guys could shed some light on any differences in the chemicals in these two products ???
      I dont know if you have CARMELLOSE SODIUM in USA - I am from UK
      It is good stuff - PF free and worth a try !!!
      I have not found anything better over here
      Others I have tried - hypermellose - very thin(contains the dreaded bac) ; minims artificial tears pf-(all" minims " drops are pf) - only good for washing out the eye in my opinion & not a proper lubricant ;liquifilm tears - ok -not as good as celluvisc TONIGHT i intend to try "Viscotears liquid gel" Its in a tube like an ointment- also pf -- My optician suggested it as especially good for night -- so here goes!!!
      I am always scared to try anything new as it can make things worse
      Cheers
      Stella

Comment

About mixing..

So someone mentioned using two drops at night. I was starting to use my wonderful liquigel and the refresh pm together because the refresh is so viscous. When we were trying to figure my nighttime problem the opthalmologist told me not to mix them - "will dilute the refresh". Anyway since I have been sealing my eyes they are a tad better. I am looking forward to my tranquileyes...

Comment

I use 2 products at night: Genteal Gel and Soothe drops (plus Tranquileyes). I don't put them in at the same time. I start with the gel, and when I wake up 3 hours later, I put in some Soothe drops--these moisten the gel and my eye. When I wake up yet again, the gel and drops have dried, so I put in some more gel, and then if I make it till morning, I put in the drops right when I wake up.

I can understand your Doc not advising your 2 products. The Refresh PM is an oily ointment (petrolatum plus mineral oil), which is different than the liquigel (water based). If you start with oil, the gel drops probably won't "mix"--they'll be repelled. If you start with gel, the ointment won't work the way it's supposed to, either--theoretically, at least.

C66

Comment

I did many bad reactions to several products now I use :

I-Drop PM : Hyaluronan .3, glycerin, without preservative
            Tear-Gel : Carbopol 980 and sorbitol
            Larmabak : Sodium and water without preservative

Comment

Re: What goop I use

Last week I asked the Dr if there was anything other than Systane that she'd recommend. (She said Systane was "the best one") and she recommended Optive, and gave me a sample. Something about replenishing electrolytes as well as liquid -- like drinking Gatorade instead of Water.
              I found them to be very thin and relief lasted for only a few minutes.
              Can't wait for my order from here to arrive to try the Dwelle and stuff.
              Shoey

Comment

I use Genteal gel drops. They always make my eyes feel better.

Comment

OPTIVE is a wonderful teardrop product.

OPTIVE is a wonderful teardrop product.
                  I think its the next version of RefreshTears, since the bottle is an exact replica.
                  Since i couldnt find optive in the list, i voted for Refresh, since its pretty much the same.

Comment

How about Similasan and Refresh Celluvisc?

What are people's opinions on Similasan? I have used several versions and like them because they do not sting the eyes but I'm not sure how effective they really are with DES.

Also, I have started using individual vials of Refresh Celluvisc and find a lot of relief from them? Any user observation on this one?

I have Dwelle on order - maybe that will be the one.

Comment

Response to Celluvisc Q

Originally posted by Dave P
                      Also, I have started using individual vials of Refresh Celluvisc and find a lot of relief from them? Any user observation on this one?
                      I have used Celluvisc on and off for several years. Pros: it's PF and highly viscous, so it lasts longer than most. Cons: it blurs vision, taking an average of 23 minutes to return to normal clarity.

The last time I used it was part of the three-drop regime: Celluvisc, followed five minutes later with Bion Tears, followed five minutes later with TheraTears (all PF formulas). I found that I could drop the Celluvisc from the equation with no difference in comfort or perceived duration of benefit, so now I use just Bion Tears and TheraTears together, as needed for relief.

Comment

So far, I like Optive gel.. best, lasts longer than the Refresh version, also seems to coat the eye a bit better, less of that gloopy feeling and blurriness is reduced... more comfort! I didnt enjoy sustane, that stuff burns!

Comment

At the minute i use Mimics Artifical Tears, Systane and Celluvisc at night.

Comment

Update -- what I use now

Since I went to Dr. Michel Guillon in London for a proper diagnosis, my regime has changed. And it's been over 6 months since then and I still like the new regime, which has definitely stopped (and perhaps reversed) the deterioration of my conjunctiva and lower lids.

So, for the record:
                            • Theratears liquid unidose as a rinse, morning and evening and as needed to keep the lashes and lower lids clear.
                            • Systane (PRESERVATIVE-FREE VERSION) the rest of the day to protect the eyes and lubricate during computer use.
                            • Supranettes lidwipes once or twice daily, to keep lids free of excess oils (which otherwise clog and kill meibomian glands!)
                            • Goggles where necessary to keep wind out.

Systane used to feel burny, but it doesn't now. I think clearing the eye surface helps. Using the no-preservatives droppers definitely better.

Things I've learned:
                            1. My diagnosis is unusual, but not unique. (Too much oil from meibomian glands, some of it miscible with water and therefore able to contaminate the mucin layer of the tears). So if you get a "too much oil" diagnosis from your eye doc, consider the type of regime I'm using. I have a cleaning phase to remove the excess oils, and a lubrication phase to lube and heal. Both at once isn't helpful since the oils just hang around.

2. Few eye docs know enough to diagnose this problem and think of a solution. The problems are not well-enough documented to find on web searches either. Talk to some of the more-knowledgeable people on this net and get a recommended eye doc.
                            ---
                            Blepharitis leads to MGD causes dry eye?
                            Dry eye drops cause eyelid irritation exacerbating Blepharitis?

Comment

Steve i wrote you more than once thanks for suggesting Dr. Guillon...i don't want to comment about him as Dr. cause its not permitted here...but i wonder when he will stop fooling people and giving palliative therapies; i went twice to London and he made me buy all the stuff from him saying things like "drops are better in europe (so buy them here)" ...and he literally disappeared when i asked him about a therapy based on drugs cause i wasn t improving........only recently i discovered that opticians in the UK cant prescribe drugs......sorry to say this but people have to know this before spending money to go to London.

Comment

I use some local eyedrops called TearsGuard (hydroxy propyl methyl-cellulose 3 mg.), when my eyes are really dry I use Refresh Liquigel and Genteal gel at night!
                                "Give me a firm place to stand, and I will move the earth!", Archemedes.

Comment

Working...
                                X