Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eye helped by Omega 3 supplements, but problems persist

Hi all,

Firstly I'd like to thank all of you who post and read here. I have been reading on and off for about a year now, since I found the site after suffering from dry-eye (MGD) for about 2-3 years.

It started out with allergies for me, hayfever, itchy eyes. Nothing really helps my allergies - but this post is not about that. My family doctor prescribed Patanol which intially did help, but then for the longest time didn't have any effect. Little did I know that buying regular "artificial tear" drops would have served me so much better. My eyes would itch, then fill up with mucus and it would feel like someone poured sand in my eye. It got to the point where my vision became cloudy and I couldn't stand daylight (I live in Vancouver, BC, so we hardly get much sun as it is).

My eyes gradually got worse and nothing seemed to help, until I finally was properly diagnosed by my 2nd opthamologist, with a Meibomian Gland Dysfunction.

So after a year of warm compresses, lid hygeine and dozens of bottles of Refresh Tears, it was under decent control.

My first "break" came from finally giving up on allergy meds and starting on Omega 3's. I found it not only helped my allergy symptoms (at least as good as the anti-histamines that weren't doing anything for me), but also really lubricated my eyes....but I have this new problem now, that I haven't been able to find a thread on.

My issue now is that while my eyes feel well enough that my Dry Eye is under control (they're decently lubricated - though flareups often occur), the issue I have now is that my eyes are constantly tearing, and the tears contain signficant amounts of what I believe is the Meibus oil. So basically it cakes onto my lower and upper lids within minutes. It forms a hard, yellowish substance on my lower lids and both upper and lower lashes.

I'm constantly going to the bathroom to apply a warm, wet compress to dissolve the sticky mess, and it's basically caused the skin on my outer lids to become red and chafed. I'm constantly tearing - but the tears are cloudy (not stringy like before) and kind of stain anything they land on. When I dab my eyes with a tissue to prevent them from running down my cheek (which is every 10 seconds), the tears stain the tissue yellow with the oil secreted by my Meibomian glands.

The worst is that my lower lids are all red, puffy, and chafed by the constant washing.

Anyone having a similar problem?

Funny thing was, this past summer, my eyes were fantastic. It was like I was 5 years ago before all this got so bad. It (seemingly) came on with winter.

Anyhow, I have an appointment with my Opthamologist on Nov 29th and it can't come soon enough. I might look for a 2nd opinion by way of referral as well.

If you've read this far, thank you for reading. To anyone who has dry-eye, I would really recommend Natural/Organic Wild Fish Oil. It really helped me, though I obviously still have problems.
Working...
X