Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salzmann's nodules and upcoming keratectomy surgery

Hi Everybody,

I have dry eye, but not due to corneal erosion. I have Salzmann's nodules on the edges of my corneas - both eyes. I am really hoping someone on here has had the same thing and can give me some input. It will be much appreciated!

I am scheduled to have a superfical keratectomy with BCTL & Diamond Burr Polish on my left eye on Jan. 16th because of Salzmann's nodules on the edges of my corneas. (I also have the same thing on my right eye (plus a pterygium on that eye.) These nodules affect my vision (cannot drive at night due to all the glare - thought that would go away after I had both cataracts removed, but it didn't really help), and it does cause discomfort and dry eye. Was wondering if anyone on here has had a keratectomy done for Salzmann's nodules and whether it helped and if there were recurrences.

I am also scheduled to have the keratectomy surgery (without BCTL and DBP) on the other eye Jan. 30th (about two and a half weeks after the first eye.) I originally thought I might as well get it all done as soon as possible and be done with it. But now I' wondering if that was a wise decision or not. Any thoughts on that anyone????

I'm thankful I ran across this site because it has already been a great help just reading what to expect during and after the keratectomy and people's experience with the contact lens bandage.

Thanks,
    Jo

Jo,
    Suggest you might consider holding off on the second eye until you are* completely* sure the first procedure is well healed, the eye is stable, and your vision is corrected.

Like you, I wanted both eyes done asap, but my doc wanted to wait a YEAR for the second eye to make sure the eye was stable before disturbing the second eye. The excellent superficial keratectomy result on the first eye was nearly instant -- within 24 hours I could tell the starbursts and haze were gone. Healing took about 10 days I think but it was 10 yrs ago. I finally prevailed on him to do the second eye after 4 mos. It was just as if I'd been given two new eyes. I had 20/20 vision with glasses, and the dry eye greatly improved, and my quality of life restored.

My two superficial keratectomies (SK) for Salzmann's-like nodules were done manually by blade with application of mitomycin-c to prevent haze from forming post op, and to try to prevent recurrence.

Like you, I had pain, dry eye, glare, couldn't drive a night, and really gritty foreign object sensation.

Ten yrs after the first round of S.K. I've had a recurrence in both eyes. My surgeon told me 90% are cured with one procedure so I'm in the other 10%. Of course cured is a relative thing since time plays such a factor.

Have you talked with your surgeon about the diamond burr process? What is the pain level post op and how will it be managed? Why that procedure, versus a blade, or PTK? Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating one procedure over the other - I'm not a medical person - but it would be good to know. Have you gone for a second opinion? Will he/she apply Prokera to aide in healing the cornea? It's an amniotic membrane graft FDA approved, and has many applications including post op. How many diamond burr procedures has the doc done, rate of recurrence, complications, etc. may be other good questions.

For the recent recurrence, I've gone for a second opinion. One surgeon wants to do PTK, (a laser procedure) and the other surgeon wants to the S.K. by blade, manually, without the laser. Neither one has talked about diamond burr, but the depth of the nodules, and the location may be factors.

I'm trying to wait this out until the failed cataract surgery issue is resolved, and have been through many courses of contact lens failures. If/when I opt for the surgery, based on what I've read, I'm leaning to go the blade route again because it is less disturbing to the eye but I have other complications to deal with first.

Have sent you a private message. Go to the notification block at the top of the screen and click to access it.
    Best wishes,
    Blinks

Comment

Hi Jo,

I have recurrent corneal erosion and have had the superficial keratectomy with diamond burr procedure done. The procedure itself is not painful as the Dr. will numb your eye with drops. Please be prepared for a lot of post-op pain for a couple of days and make sure you get a pain prescription before your surgery! Also be prepared for a lot of swelling of that eye. I used ice for the first 24 hours. I also had a bandage contact lens inserted after the surgery. They say it helps with the pain. On day two post-op, I woke up with the bandage lens sitting on my eyebrow! Not sure what happened, but it came out.

I wish you the best,

cebeth

Comment

Superficial keratectomy is done using a blade to manually "scrape" the cornea. The cornea is then smoothed down with the diamond burr drill. Then a bandage contact lens is put in place.

Comment

Working...
        X