X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Post-LASIK Dry Eyes Story

Hi everyone,

I'm so thankful for finding this community of fellow dry eye patients!

The story of my dry eyes cut short is that I underwent Lasik 4 years ago, and up until now, my eyes still need watering daily - averaging 4 vials of Systane Ultra daily. As per three doctors, I have no MGD or infections only that lacrimation is low (they used a flourescein and a Schirmer's test, both eyes were around 8-10 ml)

I underwent LASIK (with topography guided laser ablation by ZEISS ML 80) here in Bahrain when I was 19 and my vision was -8.50 for my right eye and -8.25 for my left. In the beginning, I had recurrent blepharitis, but I also developed keratitis, and much conjunctivitis. Treated I was though, and infections begone. But since the surgery, I always had dry eyes, of which I was assured a relief sooner or later.

Treatments for dry eyes I undertook were a topical lubricant: Alcon for the first years, and then progressing to Systane Ultra, with Celluvisc at night. I also tried punctal plugs for a week; once for the bottom two and another for all four (which ended up in an inflammation). Cationorm was another lubricant. I use a humidifier too and Omega 3. All this though doesn't cure the ailment.

Using electronic devices is at its bare minimum for me (no movies, TV shows, online books -only in a blue moon). And if I do use them longer, even with long breaks, blinking, and timing, I still end up with sore and even drier eyes, not to speak of the headaches. I'm a fresh graduate and can hardly imagine a career devoid of computers.

I am currently looking into Sankara Nethralaya, the eye hospital in Chennai, whether it's worth the consultation or not. But I should devote this to another post as I spoke much.

Thanks

Hi I hope you feel better

Comment

Hi. Sorry to hear about what you've been going through. Looks like you have tried several of the standard treatments, but there is much more, like goggles/eyewear, prescription eyedrops like Restatsis and Xiildra, etc., as well as more extensive treatments. I think it's great you are looking into the Sankara Nethralaya eye hospital in Chennai, India. They should be able to further diagnose/conifrm your condition and recommend what additional treatments are appropriate for you.

One of those more extensive treatments is scleral lenses, which I have to use. It helps me use the computer, watch TV, read, drive, etc. for extensive periods of time. Looks like Sankara Nethralaya offers the Boston PROSE scleral lenses. So if it comes down to that, you would be able to try them right there.

Below are links to information on the Boston PROSE lenses, as well as their international locations that provide these lenses (India has three locations):

http://www.bostonsight.org/PROSE/PRO...ats/Post-LASIK

http://www.bostonsight.org/Content/E...st-current.pdf

You are on the right track looking into a place like Sankara Nethralaya for help. Plus reaching out on this forum is helpful too. Best of luck to you, things will get better!

Comment

Hi, thanks for pitching in and for the consolation.

Hokucat It's unfortunate that the many doctors I consulted in my country only prescribe these "standard treatments," and by simply browsing this forum I realized that there is a million other "extensive treatments."

Anywho, have these scleral lenses caused you personally any side effect?
        While wearing them, would you still be using artificial tears?

Thanks!

Comment

It's not just in your country that many doctors prescribe only standard treatments, it happens a lot in the U.S. too! You are doing the right thing reaching out in this forum, doing your own research, and seeking doctors who really specialize in treating dry eyes. You basically have to be your own advocate, which you are doing, good for you!

When I initially got my sclerals, it helped alot. I used artificial tears while wearing my lenses, usually before and after the long drive to work. I was really happy for 6 months. Then gradually my eyes got worse. I don't think it was a side effect of wearing the sclerals, but likely because of auto-immune disease kicking in. I started having all kinds of other issues like dry mouth and throat, joint pain, etc., and as that happened my eyes got so dry I could no longer wear my sclerals, even while trying to use artificial tears every hour, It was so uncomfortable.

When I got better several years later, I tried sclerals again. Now I no longer need artificial tears while wearing them, but before inserting I still put a few drops of preservative-free artificial tears and roll it around to cover inside the lens, and then fill the rest of the lens with saline. I wear them 12 hours a day. The only side effect now is if doing a lot of staring (like using computer extensively), sometimes when removing my lenses at the end of the day my eyes hurt for a few minutes. Probably would have helped on those days to wear for 5 hours, take them off for an hour, then rewet and reinsert, and/or to use artificial tears. You do have to be trained how to insert and remove the lenses because it is possible to scratch your eyeball.

Some people have not been able to wear sclerals, so it's not for everyone. However, sclerals have also been able to help many people, and you may be one of them if it comes down to that being the treatment for you. Whether one needs to use artificial tears or not while wearing them depends on your personal situation, and it can change over time like it did for me. Good luck, you are on the right track.

Comment

Hokucat.

Your battle with dry eyes makes mine seem so insignificant.

12 hours no artificial tears and able to face computer for hours, that is a very tempting treatment, but not yet enough, although like you said it all boils down to one's "personal situation."

I will definitely keep the lenses considered, thanks!

Comment

You having a severe dry eye problem itself is not insignificant at all...all the discomfort and difficulty doing normal daily functions, I feel for you. I just wanted you to know if I could get better, you can too.

Comment

Working...
              X