Dry Eyes - What helps and what doesn't for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eyes - What helps and what doesn't for me

Hello. I am 40+ y/o male that had a sudden onset of severe dry eyes about one year ago. I attacked the problem vigorously and tried many different things and wanted to share what has worked for me and what has not. By using the strategies that have worked, I have gone from having dry eyes unable to sleep at night to about 90% - 100% cured. I am not writing this as a cure all for everyone with dry eyes (obviously) but just wanted to let others know what specifically worked for me and what did not. If this list helps one person just a tiny bit in any way, then I am happy.

Background:

My symptoms started one year ago. Out of nowhere ... Dry eyes most severe at night waking up with eyelids stuck to eyes. Dry eyes all throughout day as well. Had to stop wearing contacts altogether. Got to the point where I could not sleep through the night without pouring some type of lubricant into the eyes every hour or so. I am very healthy. Contact wearer. Long hours at computer. Fairly healthy diet and lifestyle. Had a history of allergies when young, but cured that through diet change so no allergies as of now. My hunch was that this dry eye situation is some type of autoimmune problem. I have very little faith in Western Medicine, but I did see a doctor and was told it was Ocular Rosacea and was prescribed a steroid / antibiotic / lubricant which did nothing but make the symptoms worse. Told the doctor and his response was telling me to simply stop using it, with no other suggestions.

Over the course of about 6 months I began doing tons of research, including the use of this site. By trying various methods and throwing out the ones that failed, I have definitively cured my dry eyes. So here is the list. I am ordering the list from most effective to least effective.

What worked:

1.) Quadrupled my Water Intake. - Set a goal to drink up to 1 gallon per day. What I have found is that not drinking enough water will not matter after one or two days, but if I dont drink enough water for about three days, the dry eyes come back. I also got a Burkee filter with the Fluoride filter option and changed my toothpaste to fluoride free.

2.) Changed my diet to a more Paleo type of diet. - This has been beneficial not just for dry eyes, but overall health. There are all sorts of studies out there, but my main focus was on reducing "lectins" as it seems these may trigger an autoimmune response to our own cells. Taking out grains and beans seems to have the most dramatic effect. Also, garlic seems to cause dry eyes for me, so minimzing that has helped as well.

3.) Lubricate eyes before bed - This one is tricky because I had tried all sorts of products before finding one that really works. The combination that I use now is to put Coconut Oil in my eyes, then wipe an ever so small amount of 100% Tea Tree Oil around the eyes. Also, adding Genteal Gel on top of the coconut oil directly in the eye is very good. This combination is absolutely AMAZING. I find that even without dry eye symptoms I like to put it in my eyes at times because it just feels so rejuvenating to the entire eye area. If you do try this, please be very careful with the Tea Tree oil. NEVER put it directly in your eye as it will burn very bad. Also, there is some question whether or not Coconut oil is sterile enough to put in your eye. I have done it for months with no issue but please research this before trying.

4.) Wash eyes night and upon waking - Nothing fancy just was the face and around the eyes with a mild soap before bed and upon waking. I started using baby shampoo, but found a good healthy face wash soap is just fine. You can research on how to clean the eyelids and around the eyes. Also, splashing cold water in and around the eyes seems to help. You can do this if you don't have time for a complete wash. Something about the cold water is very soothing.

5.) Increase antioxidant intake. - I use astaxanthin, green tea, vitamin c, wellness formula... Not all at once but varying throughout the week. Not sure if it really matters which antioxidant, but I do notice a difference when taking them. i also started taking .5 mg of melatonin at night. I know this is also a type of antioxidant. Please research this as well because it is a hormone and long term use may not be good.

6.) Increase fiber intake - I just use psyllium mixed with a soluble fiber once or twice a day. Also adding probiotics seems to help the process. Sometimes I will mix a Rice Protein or Whey Protein in with the fiber. I think this goes hand in hand with any positive diet change, but wanted to add it since it is now part of my protocol.

That is it!! It took me a long time to find this combination. After trying a lot of things that did not work...

What did not work:

1.) Steroid Ointment
    2.) Antibiotic Ointment
    3.) Castor Oil, Petroleum Based Oils, any other type of lubricants besides the ones listed above just made it worse.
    4.) Accupuncture and Chinese herbs (saw two Eastern Medicine Doctors and spent lots of money, but no help)
    5.) Hot compresses. Did these consistently night and day and saw only a little bit of temporary help.
    6.) Fish Oil, Black Currant Oil, Ghee, etc... There are so many studies on how these help dry eyes, but they really had no effect on me. I even tried megadosing and taking for several months with no effect.
    7.) Taking out Caffeine and other stimulants. Had no effect at all. Which is good because I love coffee!!!
    8.) Humidifiers.. Both hot and cold type. Helped a tiny bit, but not much.
    9.) Goggles - Tranquileyes, etc... No help. Very uncomfortable.

I have many theories as to why the above list has helped me. To summarize without going into detail I am 100% sure that I am treating some type of autoimmune situation. Of course the other part of this that should be mentioned, is your state of mind. Really try to remain positive at all times. Whatever you can do... Meditation, positive affirmations, prayers, etc. This will help you see the positive aspect of the experience (which actually does exist!). For me this situation has been a real blessing because in the process of curing my eyes, I have found that many other aspects of my health are now improving as well.

I hope this post will help someone out there. I am happy to answer any questions or to clarify anything I might have left out. Good health to you all!!!

I think there is some connection between Ocular Rosacea and demodex. I'm a little bit paranoid about demodex recently and I think it's the source of the problem for many people. Your treatment might be succesful because you use a lot of antioxidants which helps against demodex from "inside" and tea-tree oil which kills them from "outside".

Why do you use fluoride free toothpaste?

Comment

I think the demodex theory has merit. However, even if that were the case I still do think there is an autoimmune component to treatment since in order for demodex to thrive, you have to have the correct environment for them and your body has to "allow" it to happen for some reason. Perhaps my current approach is modifying the terrain and making it more difficult for them to survive? But it would be interesting to know, if they are there, what caused them to appear in the first place.

I have chosen to minimize my intake of fluoride because I think it is useless and the less chemicals I can put into my body over time the better. Once we started filtering out fluoride and everything else in our water, I tasted the water and it was so pure tasting, I believe it tastes the way water is supposed to taste.

Are you approaching your symptoms by treating demodex? Would like to hear more about what has worked for you so far.

Comment

Coconut Oil IN THE EYE? I've been told to try it around the eye to improve how dry the skin is but never inside. I use Geteal Gel as my nighttime lubricant so I'm half way to your method. I have evaporative dry eye/MGD and my biggest issue is eyelid inflammation mainly with my upper eyelid and how sore the upper part of my eye is (have lowers plugged but tried uppers in the past but had to take out due excessive tearing)

Comment

Yes, you should try the coconut oil - myself, I use it around the eye - on the lids and the skin around and underneath, but also rub it into the base of the eyelashes. I tried it directly in the eye as well, but prefer to apply it around the eye just before sleep (and then the usual night goggles or tranquileyes). I have not tried it along with the Genteal SDE gel, but as that is one of my only other go-to "drops", I will now.

(If you do try the coconut oil, please make sure it is the organic, extra virgin, cold-pressed variety. I use one made by Viva Labs but I'm sure there are others.)

Comment

Yes. Coconut oil in the Eye!!! And as MGD666 has pointed out make sure it is a good quality one. Also, I keep one container in the house that is ONLY used for my eyes, and I never touch the oil inside the container without washing my hands thoroughly. This container is never used in the kitchen or for any other use than as an eye ointment.

My method is to get a little bit on my finger (wash hands first!) and then mash it into my eye with my eyelids closed and rub a little. Then when you open your eye, the heat from your skin will heat up the coconut oil and it will naturally start to drip into your eyes. Once the coconut oil is in place drop a nice big drop of Genteal Gel right onto each eyeball. The mixture is truly magical and is the only thing I have found to last through an entire the night with out any discomfort.

Then if you really want to take it to the next level dab an ever so tiny amount of pure tea tree oil around the eye (definitely not in the eye). I feel like the fumes from the tea tree oil cause my eyes to water slightly and that makes the solution even better. If you ever do get a little tea tree oil in your eye, don't panic. Just wash it out with some warm water and once your eyes feel normal again, you can start the process over.

Also, keep in mind, this should be the last thing you do at night since your vision is pretty much blurred for a while which you want it to be because that means the solution is in there. Once I have the solution in place I go straight to bed and try to keep as much in my eyes as possible by not sleeping face down, etc....

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
            X