Lasik Victim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasik Victim

Hi I had lasik July 5th, 2 1/2 months ago. The first and only time I saw my doctor was right before my surgery, I showed him my giant papillary conjunctivitis under my eyelids and he said that I was still a good candiate and it would be fine. I hoped in the back of my mind he would say no and I would just go and buy a new pair of glasses, but I am a strong believer that everything happens for a reason. The testing to see if I was suitable for surgery involved being in a waiting room for four hours where I was picked and proded at by many different people none of whom were an actual MD. Finally I was told I was a good candiate and presented with a price and told to come back the next day. During this testing I was never tested for dry eyes or was I asked if I ever had dry eye, I was given many things to read all of which lead me to believe that I would be fine in days at most a week.

So now I am 2 1/2 months into this and I have very dry eyes. It was really bad at first I often spent days just putting drops in my eyes with dark glasses on. My problem was that I had always worn contacts but after many eye infections I was told to never wear them again and that the reaction to the lenses had left large white bumps under my lids. So I hated wearing glasses so much that I had to have lasik. Everyone that I know that had it said t was the best thing they ever did, they were as good as new a few days later.

My eyes are not as bad as alot of people I have read about but it is something I have to deal with everyday I am never totally comfortable, they always feel dry, sore and heavy. I have headaches and sometimes pain in my eyes. I use Refresh Ultra before bed and systane during the day, the perservative free drops don't help at all, I drink lots of water, no caffine, flax seed oil, lots of fish, lots of berries, fruit and vegetables. I pray that this goes away soon,I have a job that requires me to be alert and sharp(I drive a school bus) and I have two children who are very active. I would love to hear any other tips and other stories about Lasik.

I chose to do this to myself but I believe that I was a little mislead.

Susan, hi and you've found a good place to stop. Lots of experience here and excellent tips on how to cope. Quite a few people (including me) are on DEZ resulting from lasik or other refractive surgery. Others for a variety of reasons and many can't really find a reason.

First, my dear, you must not blame yourself for what has happened. It's really hard to move past this dilemma until you realize you didn't choose to have a surgery that would hurt you. It's up to the doctor's to screen for problems. To many of us were "ideal candidates" when that wasn't true. This is really a shock for people who think they really have paid a lot of money for something that would be of great benefit to them for the rest of their lives.

I have to tell you that things will get better. At 2 1/2 months, you are just out of the gate on this. You need to take incredibly good care of your eyes now. You need to get as much rest as possible. This might be just closing your eyes during your lunch hour for 15 minutes with a cool cloth over them. That's what I had to do for a long time after lasik. I had a frozen gelpack in the office frig and used it 3 times a day. Sometimes I went to my car for breaks and had the icepack over my eyes. People knew what the problem was, so I just didn't care who saw me.

There are many young people here who are dealing with this. Please use the board to vent and holler when you need to. It truly does help one get through the worst days. Remember, it's not your fault and things will get better. Many of us "older lasikees" can tell you that. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
    X