Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

allaboutdryeye.com helping sufferers or marketing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• allaboutdryeye.com helping sufferers or marketing?

One of @allaboutdryeye 's tweets today:

"#DryEye fact: 59 million Americans may be suffering from Dry Eye Syndrome. Get tested TODAY"

This is where the line blurs, IMO. The CEO claims they are being upfront about TearLab's sponsorship of their site and that it isn't a sales tool, yet here they are, pushing dry eye testing via the very site they claim isn't a sales tool.

I don't have a problem with patients getting tested.
    I don't have a problem with using marketing to boost sales either. It's smart and what companies should do but when a company isn't upfront (more than a tiny logo at the bottom of a page that you need to scroll down to see) about who they are and who is behind their marketing tools, I do have a problem with it. When Restasis pushes their product, their brand name is all over the place; there's no question about who is driving their site.

Well, I've been having this disjointed conversation with TearLab about objectionable marketing methods on that site via my blog, their blog, and this site.

I've tried to raise my points in an equable, measured, restrained, diplomatic, thoughtful kind of voice. Rather a habit of mine. Ever make you want to vomit? Yeah, me too. ) Tonight I am feeling so disgusted with this little dance, the wordcrafting and doublespeak of the responses and ultimately even the sound of my own voice that I just want to chuck it all, pound my fist on the desk and scream,

"TEARLAB:
    JUST HOW STUPID DO YOU THINK WE CONSUMERS ARE?
    IT'S STEALTH MARKETING.
    WE ALL KNOW IT. 'NUFF SAID."

Aaaaah. Now I can clock off and rest easier. I know they aren't going to change anything for my sake, but if any or all of you choose to heckle TearLab about their allaboutdryeye.com site, and, uh, not that you need my permission but... all I can say is you have my blessing. (So long as you aren't mean . OK I'll stop now.)
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

I'm waiting for their next site, "all about headaches.com", which won't sell anything (heavens, no), but just direct people to their "accredited" lobotomy centres.

Was that mean?
      Last edited by spmcc; 20-Oct-2011, 14:08.

Comment

If I were to create an Accredited Dry Treatment Center it would require:
        1. Doctors not be paid by any company to speak/write/promote a treatment or diagnostic test.
        2. Be able and willing to listen to the patient.
        3. Be able to explain in simple language the individual issues relating to the individual patient sitting in front of them.
        4. Explain a management plan and that it may take several months to find a combination of treatments that work clinically for the health of the eye and for pain mangement.
        5. Treatments would not be limited to Restasis, Azasite, doxy, punctal occlusion, baby shampoo lid scrubs and "find an artificial tear that you like".

The list can and should be longer, I jus felt like I needed to vent as well.

Comment

Working...
        X