Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decrease of eye boogers (eye goop) because of nerve damage (LASIK...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cvowr View Post
    I remember you told me (msn / messenger) on the appearance of dry eye 2 years or 2 ½ years after lasik surgery. This article may be quite interesting:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

"Between two and three years They Decreased again, so that at three years the numbers remained <60% of the pre-LASIK numbers."

This makes clear that your dry eye should be solely due to Lasik.

This is the explanation because my eyes continue to get worse. Prevent the possible further nerve deterioration is my main goal right now. After I take care of the rest .... You and all Lasik's pacients should think about it: Nothing is so bad that it can not get worse. We must be prepared ... I'm not being pessimistic, but we must be realistic in the face of facts; can worse after ....

What eye drops should I use for this? What eye drops did you use after Lasik?

hugs,

Vinicius
    Hi, cvowr

I don't know if you wrote this post to me.

Anyway, my symptoms started 6 years after LASIK.

Reading a post of someone who visited dr. Laktany recently, i think perhaps my problem is due to allergy (office air), AC. It causes inflammation and inflammation causes dry eyes. And i think i'm more vulnerable due to LASIK.

I can't remember the drops the doctor prescribed me after LASIK. I think she prescribed me two drops, one anti-inflammatory, and another that i guess was kind of artificial tears. But i don't remember the names. I don't even remember for how much time she prescribed them. The artificial tear i think was kind of one week to one month. But i used it just because she said to use it, because i felt none dry eye after LASIK.
    Last edited by bakunin; 04-Mar-2012, 18:09.

Comment

Originally posted by bakunin View Post
      I don't know if you wrote this post to me.
      Bakunin,

Yes, this post is for you! Excuse me, now corrected.

Maybe you're right, but do you know when the decrease of nerves really stoped? Maybe the decrease of nerves continues after three years.

Although I'm a biologist, I do not understand anything about the human body. I work with plants in the lab, I really very like it. My quality of life has been deteriorated so much that I think about starting to study the problems associated with dry eye. I need have another meaning for life or I'll go crazy.

You read more about it than me, but I really disagree with most of these assumptions!
      Doctors and researchers are so lost about it that I find myself the right to disagree them!

Inflammation for me is just a consequence... nothing more... Doctors are treating the consequence but not the central cause (problem root), because it (consequence) is more apparent. I really think the central problem is nerve damage to most cases of dry eye. Sorry me for the insistence. I think that almost all knowledge generated about subject so far is garbage.

Hugs
      Last edited by cvowr; 04-Mar-2012, 19:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Cristi View Post
        Hi
        I think the suction ring destroyed my mucus layer in my left eye. During the procedure I felt pain in my left eye...they said they had to apply more pressure because my eye was small so they had to be sure the eye was fixed.... now I have severe dryness in that eye; both eyes are dry but my left is much worse. The ablation of laser was the same for both eyes so.....must be the damaged goblet cells disrupting the tear film.
        Have a nice day
        Cristina
        Cristina,

I find it very difficult goblet cell damage can cause dry eye, especially in Lasik surgery, because, as explained in this diagram, there are few goblet cells near the cornea! Moreover these cells are regenerated.

Distribution scheme of conjunctival goblet cells. a (purple): high-density zone; b (gray): medium-density zone; c (white): low-density zone. Conjunctival keratinocytes (conjuntival common cells) and goblet cells derive from a common bipotent progenitor (stem cells). These stem cells are concentrated in the fornix, but apparently can be found throughout the conjunctival surface.

SOUZA, Júlio de Faria e. Anatomia funcional da superfíce ocular. In: GOMES, José Álvaro Pereira; ALVES, Milton Ruiz (Ed.). Superfície Ocular: córnea, limbo, conjuntiva, filme lacrimal. 2. ed. Rio de Janeiro: Cultura Médica, 2011. Cap. 1, p. 3-14. Translated, adapted and reviewed by cvowr

Comment

I tend to agree with the first four sentences of this abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12433377

Tears play a vital role in the health and protection of the cornea and conjunctiva. The tear film consists of multiple layers and different glands secrete each layer. Because of many and varied requirements of the ocular surface cells, the volume, composition and structure of the tear film must be exquisitely controlled. If any layer of the tear film is disrupted or altered, the entire tear film is affected, often with deleterious effects.

Comment

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
            I tend to agree with the first four sentences of this abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12433377
            Spmcc,I also agree with this, but the decrease or disappearance of the eye boogers is quite correlated with goblet cells, because these produce almost all the mucus. Probably the deficiency of other types of mucin (mucus) also will cause dry eye.

Hugs

Comment

NGF and it's mimetic MIM-D3 increase mucin production by the conjunctiva ...

NGF and it's mimetic MIM-D3 increase mucin production by the conjunctiva ...

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
              My diagnosis is ocular rosacea. I don't get eye boogers either.

A couple of weeks ago I got a head cold and my eyes felt great (normal!). I usually never get colds, so I had never experienced the relief that people have spoken of. It is real - and bizarre - to have eyes that feel perfect again (while the rest of me felt like cr@p!).

I believe the relief is due to mucous production. Or as NeedMyEyes called it - catarrhal symptoms of a cold (see past thread). So I started looking for things that stimulate mucous production. The only things I've found are viruses, bacteria and allergens.

If anyone knows of anything that stimulates mucous production, I'd love to hear about it. I'm very curious about the phenomenon now.

Comment

Working...
              X