Ups and Downs - 4 months Post Lasik and MGD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ups and Downs - 4 months Post Lasik and MGD

This week marks my 4th month post Lasik. I should be celebrating mother's day with my family, but instead focused on my eyes.

I have been on Restasis for 4 months, plugs for 2 weeks and taking serum drops. Not, to mention OTC eye drops throughout the day.

I was feeling great the beginning of last week, and now the past few days have been very bad again. Every time I start to feel optimistic, I seem to take a turn for the worse. The worse my eyes feel, it seems the worse my mental state.

It seems my problem is mostly to do with tear film and I have a slight case of MGD. Has anyone else recovering from Lasik been able to overcome the MGD? I have been on Azasite on an off every 30 days. I am not sure that is helping. I use warm compresses (rice baggy) every evening for 5 minutes. Any other suggestions.

I feel so hopeless at times.

Hi Laura,

I remember my mother's day last year (1 month post lasik) and I was a mess. I couldn't eat, sleep, and had major anxiety and regret. One year later I am doing really well (did not think this was possible). It took 8 or 9 months to feel like I didn't ruin my life. Slowly my eyes have improved. I only use Refresh PM and night and drops a couple time a day. I would say it took almost a year for the anxiety to completely go away. I am pretty use to my eyes now and can hardly remember what they felt like before lasik. My vision is perfect and I am now at peace with my life. Just wanted to let you know it takes time but things do get better. I think my eyes will keep improving but am happy to feel normal again. Take one day at a time and know you are not alone

Comment

Thank you so much for your message. When did you start feeling better? Do you know what was the cause of your dry eyes? I just hope they get better and a year from now this was all a bad dream. It's not been a good day. Thank you for responding.

Comment

Hi Laura,

I hope you are able to find some joy in the day. I know how hard it can be. I also know that you are still pretty early in the healing process. I know that is not something that you want to hear. . . It does sound like for some of us, myself included, the healing process can be very slow. But, it DOES get better. At almost a year post lasik I don't use nearly the amount of drops that I did at four months.

I think the nerves can take a long time to regenerate. I have read sources that say it can take two or more years for the nerves to fully regenerate. I know I have more corneal sensation now and am able to produce tears more easily in response to stimuli. Yes this may be reflex tearing but I do believe that recovering reflex tearing is a step towards improving basal tears.

MGD occurs because there is inflammation from the dry eyes. Dry eyes cause inflammation. It would appear that getting the inflammation under control is key to reducing MGD. I know that my MGs are producing more oil than at four months. I can actually see the oil coming out of the glands. I didn't see this at 4 months. So yes, progress is possible.

There was a fellow who posted here that he noticed a huge difference after two years. Yes it is a long time, but you start to feel better a little bit at a time. When you are feeling discouraged, remember how you were feeling a bit better. That feeling will return to you!!

Try to live moment by moment, finding enjoyment where you can. This is a time were you might need some indulgences to help you to cope. When I was having a particularly difficult time, I found particular relief in gooping up my eyes and listening to some meditation CDs.

By all means . . . feel free to ask questions . . . or just vent! There are many here who have walked in your shoes. As cafe41 says, know that 'you are not alone'.

Comment

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I am supposed to see Dr. Latkany in two weeks and hope that he may be able to shed more light on to what is going on. I know it is a long process and I just have to hang onto hope they will get better and not be like this forever. Thank you again for responding. I am glad to hear things have gotten better for you over time.

Comment

Working...
          X