• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Article on Demodex! Must Read!

http://www.revophth.com/content/i/2088/c/36411/

Very informative - thanks for posting!

Comment

"When we treat their Demodex with systemic and topical medications, not just their eyes get better, but, in most cases, their rosacea vastly improves.”

"We also use oral ivermectin, which has been shown to be helpful."

http://www.revophth.com/content/i/2088/c/36411/
      This is the first article I've seen that mentions oral treatment for demodex. I'm very happy to see that.

Comment

great article. I wonder how much cliradex will cost. Ive been nervous to use tea tree oil shampoo because of what happens if you get it in your eye.

Comment

Cliradex is $20 per tube. 50% lasts about 2 weeks, 5% lasts 3-4 weeks

Comment

Gormz - I haven't gotten tea tree oil SHAMPOO in my eyes but I have gotten the OIL in my eyes. Now I dilute it (yes, crazily enough, I thought I'd use it on my lids without diluting it with water or saline or anything). It burns like hell (hope that's ok to use here but it really is the most appropriate word for the way it feels) and your eyes turn bright red, much redder than they might normally be. Interestingly, for me, the next day was a really good eye day. I don't know whether it was demodex, a reaction to the oil, chance, or maybe just relief that they weren't burning and red anymore but my eyes felt great the next morning. I rarely use tea tree oil anymore since it didn't seem to have a consistent, long term effect for me (I don't really think demodex is my problem) but if you do use it, dilute it and keep your eyes closed long enough for the lids to truly dry afterwards.

Also, I did read of a study, a while back, where they used tea tree oil in the eyes of children to cure persistent pink eye. I can't find the study now but it was pretty interesting. Apparently it was effective, albeit painful.

Comment

I googled Cliradex http://www.trademarkia.com/cliradex-85047455.html

Does this: "On Tuesday, May 25, 2010, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for CLIRADEX by TissueTech, Inc., Miami, FL 33173. The USPTO has given the CLIRADEX trademark serial number of 85047455. The current federal status of this trademark filing is ABANDONED-FAILURE TO RESPOND OR LATE RESPONSE"
              mean it's no longer available or just that a generic can now be made?

Comment

/////////////////////
                Last edited by hankm9; 30-Oct-2016, 00:21.

Comment

Has anyone ever used an oral antiparasitic like Ivermectin while they've been doing TTO treatments?

I'm following the rosacea research on this too - in PubMed, search 'demodex face' and 'demodex blepharitis'.
                  Last edited by littlemermaid; 12-Sep-2012, 07:30.
                  Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

/////////////////////
                    Last edited by hankm9; 30-Oct-2016, 00:21.

Comment

I know just a little about oral ivermectin. It is a broad-spectrum antiparasitic. It's used most often in less developed countries where it is use a lot... and in people in not great health. It does not have terrible side effects - usually there are no side effects. It does not cross the blood-brain barrier.

I have never heard of topical ivermectin.

I know of just one person who was prescribed it. She has rosacea and the thought was to try ivermectin to see if her rosacea improved (from killing demodex). She didn't have any improvement so it was concluded that demodex was not her problem.

I think the only reason why it's difficult to get a prescription for oral ivermectin in US, Canada, UK etc. is because the doctors aren't familiar with it as we don't have the parasitic diseases for which ivermectin is commonly prescribed. Perhaps if we could see vets...

Comment

Hi ALL,

So..this article interests me because I do have flakes on my lashes, (not at the base of them tho)... and there are very few. Could it still be Deomodex? I am gunna start using tea tree shampoo to see if this makes any difference (I did it yesterday, and it did feel kinda better). I am not sure if doctors test for Demodex in canada? I will ask my doctor.

Comment

I'd love more information on this... "I found on the internet that both creams had an extremely low occurrence of Stevens Johnson Syndrome. "

Faith - It is possible the flakes you're seeing are dried eye drops. I find that I am prone to them if I am not diligent about using tissue to dry my lids after drop administration but otherwise, I'm pretty flake free.

Comment

Originally posted by PotatoCakes View Post
                            Faith - It is possible the flakes you're seeing are dried eye drops. I find that I am prone to them if I am not diligent about using tissue to dry my lids after drop administration but otherwise, I'm pretty flake free.
                            I agree with PotatoCakes. I think the most likely causes of flakes are eye drop residue and plain-ol' blepharitis. Demodex would be the least likely.

And shampoo can help. For example, the dandruff shampoos (zinc pyrithione, salicyclic acid, coal tar, selenium sulfide, ketoconazole) will work on flakes caused by sebborheic dermatitis.

The only doctors in Canada who I know test for demodex are vets. Please, Faith, if you find a dermatologist or ophthalmologist who will test you, let me/us know!

Personally, I could very well have demodex on my face due to rosacea. However I don't sense any demodex on my lid margins. I'm wondering if I suffocate them every night for 8 hours with drops sealed by plastic wrap. I mean, they breath air so I would guess that I'm killing them! Could that be a possibility?

Comment

Interesting, Hankm - how does it lure them out of the follicles? Does anyone think they chomp on moisturiser? I've read that people who use makeup have less demodex - I'm just wondering if tea tree oil moisturiser might be useful as well.

I can see why Dr Tseng pushes TTO/macademic nut oil into the eyelash and eyebrow follicles with a cotton bud. It's difficult to get shampoo into the eyelash base.
                              Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Working...
                              X