No announcement yet.

New Floater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah that was the point of the article I linked to as well: clearly the study (a literature review) was done to give doctors more reason to push for that dilated exam even just based on a single floater because it could be one of the exceptions.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Another interesting point about the study you linked is that the authors found 361 papers but only two addressed their question of whether someone needs a fundal exam... and the two studies didn't agree!

The conclusion: better to be safe than sorry!

My personal experience was that I had to *force* my friend to see an ophthalmologist when she said she had floaters and then flashes. She kept saying her GP told her floaters were fine (common, harmless, deal with it). I freaked out on her... made her push for a referral to get checked ASAP (of course, I'm a tad over-sensitive about eye problems). Anyway, she was fine, but the ophthalmologist said she was to come back instantly if something else happened.

Comment

So I need to make sure he does an exam with my eyes dilated, correct?

Comment

My thought would be to make sure you feel like the doctor checks you out thoroughly... but I don't know how to MAKE a doctor do anything. It's really up to him/her - but I don't believe they want to miss anything either.

Personally, I just want to leave an appointment feeling happy with the exam and the answers to what's bothering me (but I'll even take guesses that I can research!). Having said that, I am no "eye/vision expert" and I wouldn't even know if the doctor performed the correct tests!

So, sorry, I'm really no help to you here. I just wish you a satisfying, "answer-ful" appointment. All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
            My thought would be to make sure you feel like the doctor checks you out thoroughly... but I don't know how to MAKE a doctor do anything. It's really up to him/her - but I don't believe they want to miss anything either.

Personally, I just want to leave an appointment feeling happy with the exam and the answers to what's bothering me (but I'll even take guesses that I can research!). Having said that, I am no "eye/vision expert" and I wouldn't even know if the doctor performed the correct tests!

So, sorry, I'm really no help to you here. I just wish you a satisfying, "answer-ful" appointment. All the best.
            You are a help. I've never had a thorough eye exam so this will be a first for me. The first opthalmologist I saw spent about 5 minutes and did no tests so anything is a step up.

Just got to stay patient until next Thursday for my appointment. I'll let everyone know what happens.

Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mewkiss View Post
              So I need to make sure he does an exam with my eyes dilated, correct?
              I would agree with spmcc in that you cannot "make" the doc do anything, it doesn't work. I've tried asking for things directly and it just annoys the doctor. You just have to try and explain your concerns and hope that the doctor does it...

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                Poppy,

Could this be due to the difference between complaining about floaters in the context of other stuff, and reporting sudden onset floaters? Try calling up a doctor who doesn't know you from adam, and saying, I have some floaters that just appeared overnight, and see if they don't recommend you be seen right away. If a doctor refuses to do appropriate exams when you're experiencing sudden onset floaters, that is absolutely indefensible and I would probably contact the appropriate medical authority.
                Hi Rebecca, thanks for your reply. I just want to explain something, and I don't mean to be rude to you, or for you to think I'm not grateful for you taking the time to run this site, I just need to explain how I feel.

Your comment as well as many other arguments/comments posted on this forum just adds to my feeling that you guys in the United States have absolutely no idea what it's like in other so called developed countries.

There is absolutely no way in the world that any opthalmologist in my city would see me right away due to floaters. In fact, it would be almost impossible for me to find someone who would even refer me to an opthalmologist based purely on floaters, let alone have my referral accepted, and if they did I would wait at least six months. That is why I can only complain about my floaters in conjunction with my other symptoms. Many of the things you guys in the states complain about I would kill to have the same standard of care. You guys complain that all the doc did was plugs and restasis, well we don't have restasis and most eye docs won't even consider plugs! I have also seen US patients complain that they had to call a number of doctors during a dry eye flare up before finding someone who could see them same day. WHAT! I could only DREAM of being able to get a same day appointment with an eye doc, and I am not a poor person with no money or private health insurance. In fact most eye docs here won't even see patients with dry eye at all no matter how severe and mostly won't give follow up visits. My first experience of dry eye was being told I was extremely lucky and should be very grateful for the fact that I was able to see an opthalmologist in only seven days when my eyes developed a corneal ulcer. The optometrist had told me they thought that my eyes were bad enough that I was going to get an ulcer, but they couldn't refer me until I did, in the meantime only artificial tears as optometrists can't do anything here. Yes seven day wait for corneal ulcer, people with floaters aren't even going to be given the time of day. Here, like many places outside of the US, optometrists can't prescribe anything so the opthalmologist is the only option. Where I live people with severe vision threatening problems still have to wait ages to see an opthalmologist, the idea of being seen within a couple of days is laughable even if you are a current patient. So please you guys in the states have a bit of understanding of what people in the rest of the world have to deal with. Thanks

Comment

I just got back from my appointment with the Opthalmologist. He did dilate my eyes. It was my first time and boy is it uncomfortable.

He told me that my floater was just a floater so I had nothing to worry about in that respect. I had told the nurse who checked me in that that eye "aches" and it was on my lips to tell him but I forgot so I'm waiting for a call back for that. I know I need a new RX for glasses, that does not explain why my eye aches upon waking.

As for my dry eyes. He is not the guy for that, so at some point I'm going to go see Dr. Carver. Basically said it was just dry eyes, that I did not have any other eye problems.

He did tell me I shouldn't use the Unisol 4 which gets me through the day because it washes away the natural tears and stuff in my eyes.

So back to square one with my dry eyes.

Comment

I have floaters, all sorts and a cloud like huge one like a mist accross my vision in one eye, they are annoying but my friend says its like free entertainment 24/7 in your eyes!?!?!? Anyway, best to ignore them and if they increase suddenly then get your eyes examined and also try not to panic as they are fairly common and some even disappear out of your visual field in time, but not guaranteed.

Comment

Poppy... For all I know, maybe I completely misunderstood how drs relate to floaters. But on the broader issue you raised: I think you're being unfair to our US members. We have a lot of members outside the US some of whom have good care and some of whom have none at all, and a lot in between. There's always members here reaching out to help and advise them in practical ways as to how they can explore new ways to access better care. No one can know without walking in your shoes but I think willingness to sympathize is unquestionably strong on this board.

Just for perspective... re: yours truly... When I first got dry eye, I was living in England. Things are much better there now but I'm talking about the dark ages more than ten years ago. LASIK doesn't cause dry eye, full stop, you look fine, next please. There was viscotears, and there was viscotears. Well, maybe Lacrilube if you kicked up a really big fuss. To say nothing of my vision problems and how the medical community related to that stuff at the time.

I had never had any major health issue before. England in the dark ages of dry eye is where I learned to advocate for myself, where I learned how to develop good relationships with doctors, where I learned how contagious a positive attitude is, how not to bring my emotional baggage to the dr's office, how to have reasonable expectations and set small goals, how to compartmentalize my needs, how to figure out what to expect from a doctor - and how to get it. There were no slam dunks. I guess I'm just trying to say, I get the struggle part

While the US has a lot more available, that's not always a plus. It's frequently misapplied. With the economy in the doldroms a lot of doctors are hanging out a dry eye shingle, pretending they know something and plying very expensive treatments that may not even be appropriate since they fail to diagnose you. If you wish plugs were easier to get where you are, be careful what you wish for. Here we've got doctors shoving SmartPlugs into the puncti of everyone who walks in the door and what percentage of them end up at the surgeon down the street trying to repair the damage.

Sorry if I'm overly defensive. But I don't think I understand what kind of support and understanding you're looking for.
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Mewkiss View Post
                        He told me that my floater was just a floater so I had nothing to worry about in that respect.
                        I'm so glad!!

He did tell me I shouldn't use the Unisol 4 which gets me through the day because it washes away the natural tears and stuff in my eyes.
                        Sigh. Sorry about that. Can you work out a compromise and just use it less frequently at least till you've got something that helps you more?
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca,

I just spoke to him because I'm still having pain in that eye. Not horrible "OUCH" pain but discomfort that started with the floater. It happens when I wake before I open my eyes, using the computer... then I will have days of relief. There is no specific thing I can point out and it's only in that eye. I have it with my glasses and without my glasses. I wake and there is "pressure".

He said the following:

1. Floaters cannot cause pain.
                          2. It could be my eye pressure but it was fine when he checked it I'd have to go back while it's happening.
                          3. Dry eyes can cause pain. (asked him why one eye and why now?)
                          4. Stop using the Unisol and use Refresh Plus. Unisol washes away natural moisturizers in the eye
                          4.5 Keep using omega 3 and coconut water
                          5. Keep track of this issue

He told me that any of the eye drops that come in squeeze bottles DO have preservatives no matter what they say and only the ones with the snap off tops do not have preservatives and I can use those as often as I want.

It may be just dry eyes because of my age which is fine so I'm not sure what to do now. He did say he would RX me for Restasis but he said it burned and I would have to use it twice a day (so what) and I would have no results for 90 days.

Comment

WHAT?? Don't use Unisol 4? What about those of us that have to use it for our Boston Lenses?
                            Not only do I have extremely dry eyes requiring Boston PROSE. I just developed a sizeable floater in my left eye.
                            I went to the eye doctor immediately and he dialated my eyes to confirm no retina damage.
                            I researched it and agree with all that's been said, not much you can do about it, live with it.
                            Well, it's not so easy to live with when my vision in that eye is compromised because of cornea damage due to the dryness.
                            I have GVHD. My doctor confirmed the floater is not related to GVHD. Actually, he said it happens quite frequently.
                            As my floater is new, wondering if they have gone away for anyone, over time?

Comment

Izer, don't worry , Unisol 4 is not going to hurt you in that context.

More about Unisol 4:

As I understand it, Mewkiss' doctor is objecting to using Unisol 4 as an artificial tear substitute, and I agree with that. Unisol is just saline. It does not have the lubricating properties (eg staying power) that polymer or other artificial tears do (though frankly many of them aren't that great either - and it should also be borne in mind that OVERusing artificial tears will wash away much needed natural stuff just as much as abusing Unisol 4 will). But using it in a PROSE lens is completely different - the lens is holding it on your eye. You're covered.

Some of us use Unisol 4 as an eyewash periodically because it does not contain the harmful preservatives that commercial eyewashes contain. Generally when I've suggested Unisol 4 to people, it's been for that kind of use - if I've ever sounded like I was suggesting it as an alternative to artificial tears it was unintentional.

There are other specialized uses of Unisol 4 that a lot of people here use. Some people use it with their Lacriserts. Some use it as a buffer for irritating drops which personally I think makes good sense but obviously you should talk these things over with your doctor esp. if it's used with an Rx drop. I use Unisol 4 in my PROSE lenses, and I also occasionally use it when I'm just really dry and burning - a nice cold flood of it is so soothing - but I don't do that very often and I generally follow it up after say 10 minutes with a proper lubricant.
                              Rebecca Petris
                              The Dry Eye Foundation
                              dryeyefoundation.org
                              800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by lzer View Post
                                I just developed a sizeable floater in my left eye.
                                Sorry to hear it. They always seem more noticeable and annoying when there's other stuff going on in your eyes too.

As my floater is new, wondering if they have gone away for anyone, over time?
                                Not me I have a huge influx of them after LASIK and my collection has probably grown a little over the years. They are more bothersome sometimes than at other times.
                                Rebecca Petris
                                The Dry Eye Foundation
                                dryeyefoundation.org
                                800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                                X