Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do doctors check to see if your glands are dormant (scarred over)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do doctors check to see if your glands are dormant (scarred over)

Hi guys,

I wanted to know what the test is called, and what is involved in checking to see if your glands are completely sealed shut? I have been offered IPL, but i cannot remember the doctor doing any specific test on me to check if my glands were okay.

Could someone who has had this done please tell me what is involved? Is it the one where the turn the lids inside out?

Thanks

I just had the one where they turn your lids inside out and that is called meibography. It wouldn't tell you if your glands are sealed shut but because he couldn't express anything from mine he said that they were.

Comment

Hi Jack. When I had meibomian gland probing done, based on the amount of pressure and manipulation the doctor had to use to open up several of my glands, he said I had scar tissue and probing was the only way to get them open in this case. But would not recommend doing probing until you've tried less invasive treatments first.

Comment

I wonder if the scraping procedure that Sophie had done would unblock the orifices. That was the first time I had heard of that. She had it done before having lipiflow but then chickened out on doing that but says she is feeling somewhat better (not sure if that had anything to do with it though).

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
          I wonder if the scraping procedure that Sophie had done would unblock the orifices. That was the first time I had heard of that. She had it done before having lipiflow but then chickened out on doing that but says she is feeling somewhat better (not sure if that had anything to do with it though).
          Thanks guys

I'm really confused with my eyes because some days they are fine and I don't even need lubricating drops and other they are sore and even when I put the artificial tear drops in, they sting.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokucat View Post
            Hi Jack. When I had meibomian gland probing done, based on the amount of pressure and manipulation the doctor had to use to open up several of my glands, he said I had scar tissue and probing was the only way to get them open in this case. But would not recommend doing probing until you've tried less invasive treatments first.
            Hi Hokucat,

Do you mind sharing which doctor did your probing? Rhein medical recently decided to stop giving that information to patients, so I'm trying to put together a list of doctors who can do it. The link to the post is in my sig where you can post the info there, post on this thread, or PM me - whatever you want to do. I also understand if you'd rather not share that information.
            What you need to know about computer-induced dry eye
            Dry Eye Survey
            IPL Doctors
            Probing Doctors

Comment

Hi Pythonidler. You're right they no longer give info on which doctors bought the probes. I was fortunate to get a list from them several years ago of doctors in my area, and that's how I was able to find my initial probe doctor. I tried several times to get a list for this forum last year from Rhein with no success. So thanks for consolidating one manually.

I will get you the contact info for the probe doctors I went to. If I can find that list Rhein sent me for doctors in my area, will also give to you, as it might still provide some leads.

Perhaps can also contact Dr. ******' office. When I was looking for a probe doctor, at the time they could give me contact info for a few doctors who had purchased the probes near me, but no referrals. Maybe they might also give referrals now.

Comment

Hi Jack. You mention you have some days when your eyes are fine and you don't need any drops at all? Am thinking your glands are NOT completely blocked then, which would be some good news. Just a thought.

Before most of my glands became completely blocked (with scar tissue), I was seeing a naturopath who gave me amino acid shots every 4-6 weeks. These shots made my eyes feel amazing for at least a few days, but then my eyes would go back to being severely dry. Somehow the amino acids were giving my glands what it needed. But the shots were prohibitively expensive for just a few days of relief, so I did not get them as often, and over time they stopped working.

Likely the shots no longer worked because I found out via probing many of my glands developed scar tissue and were blocked. After several probings and diet changes (originally I was on a mission to recreate the effect of the amino acid shots using diet), I have some tear film now, although will always have dry eyes because several glands were lost/atrophied. But I can definitely feel the difference of just some glands functioning...when completely blocked, there were never any good days.

Comment

Hi Jack. You mention you have some days when your eyes are fine and you don't need any drops at all? Am thinking your glands are NOT completely blocked then, which would be some good news. Just a thought.

Before most of my glands became completely blocked (with scar tissue), I was seeing a naturopath who gave me amino acid shots every 4-6 weeks. These shots made my eyes feel amazing for at least a few days, but then my eyes would go back to being severely dry. Somehow the amino acids were giving my glands what it needed. But the shots were prohibitively expensive for just a few days of relief, so I did not get them as often, and over time they stopped working.

Likely the shots no longer worked because I found out via probing many of my glands developed scar tissue and were blocked. After several probings and diet changes (originally I was on a mission to recreate the effect of the amino acid shots using diet), I have some tear film now, although will always have dry eyes because several glands were lost/atrophied. But I can definitely feel the difference of just some glands functioning...when completely blocked, there were never any good days.
                  Thanks for replying.

Both my eyes feel okay in the morning, I don't even need to put drops in them, but then after 1pm, my right eye starts to become a little sore, and when I put in the hylo-forte it stings a little.

Can you give me some advice re diet? any supplements that you take?

Thanks

Comment

Hi Pythonidler. You're right they no longer give info on which doctors bought the probes. I was fortunate to get a list from them several years ago of doctors in my area, and that's how I was able to find my initial probe doctor. I tried several times to get a list for this forum last year from Rhein with no success. So thanks for consolidating one manually.

I will get you the contact info for the probe doctors I went to. If I can find that list Rhein sent me for doctors in my area, will also give to you, as it might still provide some leads.

Perhaps can also contact Dr. ******' office. When I was looking for a probe doctor, at the time they could give me contact info for a few doctors who had purchased the probes near me, but no referrals. Maybe they might also give referrals now.
                    Thanks for the info.

I also tried contacting Dr. ******'s office recently. I asked the receptionist if they knew of any other doctors who did probing and her response was "nope, we're the only ones." I laughed a little after I hung up.
                    Dry Eye Survey
                    IPL Doctors
                    Probing Doctors

Comment

Originally posted by pythonidler View Post

Thanks for the info.

I also tried contacting Dr. ******'s office recently. I asked the receptionist if they knew of any other doctors who did probing and her response was "nope, we're the only ones." I laughed a little after I hung up.
                      Hi,

Could I PM you about special blue filter lenses that protect eyes from eye strain? Or maybe you could answer me here (if not it's cool)

I am just wanting to know A)if you found them helpful B) What, in your opinion, is better, Blutech lenses or the Eyezen+?

Thanks!

Comment

I'm not sure about Blutech or Eyezen+, because I've never heard of them before.

I do have my own pair of moisture chamber goggles with a blue filter in them from SportRx. SportRx can put prescriptions in most pairs of sunglasses, and they can add a blue light anti-reflective coating for about $100. As for whether the filter works - I honestly have no idea. I'm not spending hours on the computer anymore, so I don't think I really needed them. But for people who spend hours in front of the computer as part of their job, I'd say go for it.
                        Dry Eye Survey
                        IPL Doctors
                        Probing Doctors

Comment

I'm not sure about Blutech or Eyezen+, because I've never heard of them before.

I do have my own pair of moisture chamber goggles with a blue filter in them from SportRx. SportRx can put prescriptions in most pairs of sunglasses, and they can add a blue light anti-reflective coating for about $100. As for whether the filter works - I honestly have no idea. I'm not spending hours on the computer anymore, so I don't think I really needed them. But for people who spend hours in front of the computer as part of their job, I'd say go for it.
                          oh, I thought I had heard you mention Eyezen+ before, in one of the other discussions,

Does your blue light filter glasses have a blue tint to them, or are they clear?

Comment

Originally posted by jack1988 View Post
                            Does your blue light filter glasses have a blue tint to them, or are they clear?
                            They have a slight blue appearance, but I wouldn't say they are tinted blue. I think tinting glasses yellow has the same effect (e.g., Gunnar).
                            Dry Eye Survey
                            IPL Doctors
                            Probing Doctors

Comment

They have a slight blue appearance, but I wouldn't say they are tinted blue. I think tinting glasses yellow has the same effect (e.g., Gunnar).
                              thanks, and have you noticed an improvement?

Comment

Working...
                              X