Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPL — scared of permanent damage

Hi everyone!

I had my first IPL treatment approximately 1 month ago with an ophthalmologist. The Dr used corneal shields. After the treatment my vision was a bit blurry when I looked into the distance. This side effect lasted about an hour. I do not know whether light or some ointment that they use for corneal shields has caused the blurriness.

Now, the Dr was unavailable (booked up) for the next month so I booked an appointment with the “Master Aesthetician” who works with the Dr and also does IPL.

My appointment is in a few days but I am getting cold feet. What if she puts the corneal shields wrong? What if she messes up the settings somehow? She is not in the medical profession.

Have you always had an optometrist or an ophthalmologist do your treatment?

If I skip one month, does it make a difference?

my ipl is done by a tech, not dr.

ipl is considered low risk, make sure u take off all contacts.

blurred vision is normal if the gel gets into ur eye.

mention this problem to them and see what they say.

Comment

How did your first IPL treatment feel? Any noticeable effects?

Comment

edmunder , do you have olive skin? I’m Asian, and am very fair, but nevertheless am considered olive skin. Many places do not recommend IPL for skin or MGD treatment, because the laser is drawn to pigment, which if one has olive skin or darker there is more pigment. If you have lighter skin, it should not be an issue, but if not, you may want to check with the Kellogg Eye Center or any other place you plan to have IPL to ensure you are a candidate for this procedure.

Comment

hopeful_hiker , perhaps ask how many IPL procedures this Master Aesthetician has performed, and what training she went through, so you can feel more (or less) comfortable about her experience level. I actually did that when looking for a probe doctor.

Comment

Hokucat im painfully white. British and polish blood. Sunscreen and big hats for life.

So that should be ok for IPL. Sorry to hear it doesnt work for other complexions.

My mom has bad roscesa on face and chest. Ive told her about IPL. I didnt get the roscesa though.

Comment

edmunder Oh, that’s good you’re a candidate for IPL then. Just wanted to make sure. I was bummed I was not a candidate, so I had to have probing, which in the end worked out since I had several glands with scar tissue that only probing could unblock. Does not sound like you have scar tissue, which is good.

Am glad you don’t have the roscesa, you have enough to deal with. Maybe mom will do IPL after you try it!

Comment

I would not be afraid. Usually those technicians do a better job than the Dr because they do a lot more of the procedures and usually get very good at what they do. I was a dental hygienist back in the day and I can tell you that I never met a dentist that could clean teeth properly...I could scale circles around them because I did it all day every day.

Comment

Thank you all for chiming in! I felt so freaked out but it was so great to hear from you.

My my session went fine. However, this time we had you use stickers instead of shields. For some reason, I kept seeing ceiling light with one of my eyes. The eyelids usually hold the corneal shields in place but this time once I would relax it would release a tiny gap between the shield and the eye. Too risky for me. I am so glad the Aesthetician was patient with me. Apparently, the doc and her do IPLs for each other.

Hokucat thank you for the advice! I was able to find some some info on LinkedIn. Bit of detective work!

deep_dry_eye that made me feel better for sure!

farmgirl that’s a good point! Made me feel calmer.

edmunder not really, it takes at least 2-3 sessions to feel the difference.
                  Last edited by hopeful_hiker; 18-Jul-2018, 17:54. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful_hiker View Post
                    Thank you all for chiming in! I felt so freaked out but it was so great to hear from you.

My my session went fine. However, this time we had you use stickers instead of shields. For some reason, I kept seeing ceiling light with one of my eyes. The eyelids usually hold the corneal shields in place but this time once I would relax it would release a tiny gap between the shield and the eye. Too risky for me. I am so glad the Aesthetician was patient with me. Apparently, the doc and her do IPLs for each other.

Hokucat thank you for the advice! I was able to find some some info on LinkedIn. Bit of detective work!

deep_dry_eye that made me feel better for sure!

farmgirl that’s a good point! Made me feel calmer.

edmunder not really, it takes at least 2-3 sessions to feel the difference.
                    FYI -- im personally on monthly-IPL . this is a new experimental protocol, the idea is that if you can reduce and control the inflammation, its possible your glands can experience tissue growth. you can consider this as well if you find IPL to help you.

Comment

deep_dry_eye Oh yes, I remember that now. How many treatments have you had? Had clinical signs and/or your symptoms/perception improved?

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful_hiker View Post
                        deep_dry_eye Oh yes, I remember that now. How many treatments have you had? Had clinical signs and/or your symptoms/perception improved?
                        I'm on multiple treatments, so its unclear how to isolate which one is helping.

I'm on monthly-IPL, Xiidra BID, Restasis BID, Prokera. My eyes have definitely improved since on this treatment regimen. My latest meibography showed structural improvements but no tissue growth.

Comment

Did anyone ask your doctor if

IPL safe to be done in the summertime when we get a lot of sun outside?

I am asking this for a friend with rosacea - doctor said no problem but she does not trust doctors anymore.
                          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701 View Post
                            Did anyone ask your doctor if

IPL safe to be done in the summertime when we get a lot of sun outside?

I am asking this for a friend with rosacea - doctor said no problem but she does not trust doctors anymore.
                            Thanks!
                            my gut says shouldnt be a problem. IPL is supposed to help rosacea anyways.

Comment

This is a safe procedure .... I agree with farmgirl. Just make sure the shields cover entirely and are securely in place. I have had great results.

A MD does mine.
                              Last edited by PG; 12-Aug-2018, 17:22.

Comment

Working...
                              X