IPL - chronic inflammation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alix View Post
    So I had my first IPL last week and had my glands manually expressed afterwards. All my lower glands produced lots of thin clear oil - it was spurting out and streaming down my face like tears. Most of the glands in my upper eyelids have atrophied, but the ones that are left were also expressing thin clear oil.

I think this means I do not have blocked glands. The first eye doctor I saw earlier this year diagnosed me with chronic inflammation not dry eye, I am now thinking maybe he was right?

I know I am a partial blinker, so I am now thinking that the constant burning sensation is due to sensitised nerves as a result of lack of oil - as my eyelids are not touching, the glands are not being stimulated.

I am wondering if anyone else had abundant clear oil expressed after their first IPL session? I am wondering if there is any point having another (expensive) session if I don't have blocked glands.

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.
    The fact that you are producing lots of thin clear oil is a good sign! However, it might have been the doxy that helped you in this.

The mechanism of action for IPL is unknown exactly, I am skeptical of any1 that makes concrete claims on IPL.

However, based on my literature survey and chatting w/ various doctors, IPL somehow has the effect of making your glands produce better quality and quantity of oil. Even if your glands are not blocked, IPL can still help you.

I am personally on monthly-IPL, Restasis (similar to Ikervis) and Xiidra. I went from being bedridden to being able to travel and working on computer 10+ hrs a day. I would definitely continue on the Ikervis as it can also help reduce inflammation.

Comment

@deep_dry_eye Thank you for your advice. I will see how it goes after my second IPL session and if nothing changes I will just go back on doxy and carry on with Ikervis.
      If funds were no object I would be happy to carry on with IPL in the hope that it may work but it is just too expensive here - £200 per session and the Ikervis is already costing me £120 a month.

Comment

..and the Ikervis is already costing me £120 a month.
        I was getting it from Boots for about £90. Also it's possible to use their loyalty card on private prescription purchases.

Comment

Originally posted by Meibum Ian View Post

I was getting it from Boots for about £90. Also it's possible to use their loyalty card on private prescription purchases.

Are you still using Ikervis? I tried getting it at different branches of Boots in London but each one said they didn't have any in stock and they said they couldn't order any either as the manufacturer was out of stock. Sounded strange so I phoned up the pharmacy at Moorfields and they said Boots are restricted to certain suppliers due to their contract system. So I had to find an independent chemist who then managed to order it for me but the downside is that it is more expensive, and they have kept my prescription for 3 months as they said it is a legal obligation. This means I am forced to re-order from them.... I am hoping if the Ikervis works I will be able to get an NHS prescription from my GP once the 3 months are up.

Comment

Yes, still using Ikervis but now with NHS prescription.

I know boots had supply issues for it a couple of months ago. Maybe resolved now?

Good luck on pursuing it through NHS

Comment

Thank you, no they still have supply issues. It does't matter, at least I have it now.
              Apologies if I have asked you this already but how long did it take until you started seeing any positive effects from using it?

Comment

Thank you, no they still have supply issues. It does't matter, at least I have it now.
                Apologies if I have asked you this already but how long did it take until you started seeing any positive effects from using it?
                Too hard to say when / whether it began to help, as I had PRP injections and started PRP drops 3 months in.

Comment

Alix, allow me to remind you,

Doxy helps but it can develop resistance - experts in USA recommend

HydroEye (GLA, EPA and DHA) & some recommend PRN (no GLA).
                  &
                  pure HOCL, like avenova - control bacterial overgrow.
                  more info/details on alternatives etc - please read my old posts which I often mentioned.

perhaps BlephEx would help remove biofilm which is also more economical.
                  Last edited by MGD1701; 14-Nov-2018, 16:33.

Comment

@Meibum Ian I am considering PRP if Ikervis does not work.

@MGD1701 Thank you, will read your old posts at the weekend when I have a bit more time. I am not keen on going back to taking oral antibiotics, especially in the long term. I am hoping and praying Ikervis will work.

Comment

How are your eyes now? better?? what are your 3 main symptoms and when do they occur??
                      Did doctor check your lipid layer thiickness or inflamamtion level after IPL?

Comment

I have tried blinking exercises but it is too late now as nothing will ever come out of the glands which have atrophied.
                        Wha-a-a-t?? I absolutely disagree that it is too late for blinking exercises. I believe it is more important than ever now that you have addressed the root cause of your problem. What glands you do have left will continue to atrophy if you don't use them. Yes nothing will come out of the atrophied glands but what about the rest, do you want them to befall the same fate, at least you have some glands and you need to work even harder to maintain them, they are precious.

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post

Wha-a-a-t?? I absolutely disagree that it is too late for blinking exercises. I believe it is more important than ever now that you have addressed the root cause of your problem. What glands you do have left will continue to atrophy if you don't use them. Yes nothing will come out of the atrophied glands but what about the rest, do you want them to befall the same fate, at least you have some glands and you need to work even harder to maintain them, they are precious.
                          I know what you are saying makes absolute sense, but it's hard....

Comment

Whats hard? I am not sure I understand

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
                              Whats hard? I am not sure I understand
                              It's hard to remember to do blinking exercises, and I don't have any short term incentives to do this, as my eyes feel and look exactly the same no matter what I do.
                              For example, today I had 2x1 hour meetings where I was just a participant, so used the opportunity to do full blinks for 2 hours. Made no difference.

So it's hard to stay motivated/committed to doing this, even when I know I should be for the sake of my glands because I am not seeing/feeling any results.

Comment

It's hard to remember to do blinking exercises, and I don't have any short term incentives to do this, as my eyes feel and look exactly the same no matter what I do.
                                For example, today I had 2x1 hour meetings where I was just a participant, so used the opportunity to do full blinks for 2 hours. Made no difference.

So it's hard to stay motivated/committed to doing this, even when I know I should be for the sake of my glands because I am not seeing/feeling any results.
                                I know it is hard but I improved my blinking in 4 months. I don’t see any difference in my symptoms at least clinically I am improving. Keep doing the excercise. It is hard but we get through this.

Comment

Working...
                                X