Starting work soon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting work soon?

So, ive finally heard from work going to a meeting on the 30th, im really nervous due to it being team member/host, aswell as managing my dry eye... ive never told an employer of my dry eyes, as i was hoping to get enough money and go for ipl to see if it helps, i know these treatments dont take long but its more so travel to get it done i can go to work straight after... has anyone told their work about their eyes? i know ipl is done on 3 different days for the 3 treatments; i just dont want to seem strange for hoping to be able to go and get these done? Still on setraline. Been feeling really tired and fed up with not many options for mgd in the UK... trying to be positive and keep on with my treatment but thats another thing!

I just hope one day more treatments will be avalible and will be able to give us relief. I'm fed up of red dry eyes despite keeping up my routine and no relief, wish this disease wasnt so hard to get under control! i hope to go to uni next year, im just hoping ill be mentally stable for it.

apologises for many posts just there isnt many that i know have dry eyes, and its sad to think this has to be managed with no relief, and knowing my friends dont know what its like and well... makes me self hate for this disease/effects of how it makes me feel. had this tail end of 17, got more answers which im glad of, just hope for relief for myself, and be able to tell others of my relief!

I told my employer that I have autoimmune disease and I have to do treatment. I figure out if I tell them I have dry eye, they do not think it is such a serious and depressing condition. You can try telling them that.

Comment

I told work.

Comment

I told work as well, but only because 1) people started asking me why I was wearing glasses instead of contact lenses, and 2) I have permanently bloodshot eyes, so wanted to reassure my colleagues that I was not hungover/high/ill.

I told them I had eye inflammation for the same reason as ebi1368, if I told them I had dry eye I knew they would just tell me to take eye drops (like I hadn't thought of that?!)

As for taking time off to go to my hospital appointments, it wasn't an issue because I took half days off here and there as "holiday". It was annoying to use my annual leave but I never knew how long the appointments were going to take, so factoring in waiting time, travel etc it was just easier to do this.

So anyway if I were you, I would see how it goes on the 30th - you do not need to tell your employer, but if you do, personally I would not say you had autoimmune disease as people might misunderstand. I would say that you have eye inflammation (as you have red eyes this is not a lie) and that you need to have checkups/treatment at your doctors and leave it at that. You don't need to go into details about IPL.

Good luck.

Comment

Need Advice/tips too

This is my problem too. I have stopped working for a few years.
          Eyes are fit enough to work again but how to explain the gap in the job application?

My doctor friend suggests, mention nothing (then it is not a lie) but it is still not a great idea.
          Most people do not understand dry eye so it will only complicate things?
          Any tips to share? Thanks!

I know it would be a miracle if I can find a job - but If I try, maybe there still be a chance.
          Yet, wise to think plan B, something relating to dry eye, my new dream job.
          Well, I have been spending nearly 2.5 years in learning dry eye and
          solved constant watery by myself (with pure HOCL, NatraSan, which I have found) as a result.
          My eyes have been better and better.
          Last edited by MGD1701; 28-Nov-2018, 07:43.

Comment

But I dont have an autoimmune disease its just more so I can do the days for IPL and then go to work straight after. But would work understand?

Comment

Do you need to tell them? Can you just book the days off as holiday?

Comment

Originally posted by Meibum Ian View Post
                Do you need to tell them? Can you just book the days off as holiday?
                I dont need to tell them but if it's so soon starting work can i book a holiday? It'd jusr i want to try ipl and see if it helps my glands function better.

Comment

I wouldn’t bother telling them dry eyes isn’t taken very seriously as it’s not seen as “life threatening”. Given your condition I just don’t see how it’s possible for you to excel in office conditions. I wouldn’t be able to sit in an office for more than a hour before the burning begins , due to the air conditioning or heating and the computer screens. I need to wear moisture goggles whenever I’m at home, and then I’m free to use screens.

Comment

Originally posted by SirDryEye View Post
                    I wouldn’t bother telling them dry eyes isn’t taken very seriously as it’s not seen as “life threatening”. Given your condition I just don’t see how it’s possible for you to excel in office conditions. I wouldn’t be able to sit in an office for more than a hour before the burning begins , due to the air conditioning or heating and the computer screens. I need to wear moisture goggles whenever I’m at home, and then I’m free to use screens.
                    Its not an office job. It's retail? Just to clear that up instantly

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701 View Post
                      Need Advice/tips too

This is my problem too. I have stopped working for a few years.
                      My eyes have been pretty fit to work again but how to explain the gap in the job application?

My doctor friend suggests, mention nothing (then it is not a lie) but it is still not a great idea.
                      Most people do not understand dry eye so it will only complicate things?
                      Any tips to share? Thanks!

I know it would be a miracle if I can find a job - but If I try, maybe there still be a chance.
                      However, wise to think the plan B, I think.
                      I've decided to pursue retail in the main time, not sure about tips ill update you on how things go? Just don't want to come off as earning money for IPL and not working for work etc.

Comment

Why don’t you just say you have a doctors appointment or something, it’s not even a lie. I told my work I had a hospital appointment where I was having treatment for my eye, not really a lie, just I knew they would accept a hospital appointment over a private drs appointment

Comment

Ill have to see once my optician gets back to me ans hopefully can start ive only got enough money. As for work I might just say I'll have treatments ans i can still attend work afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                          X