No announcement yet.

Meibography Grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sclerals - I don't have much informations on sclerals as of yet - only know that they are costly. I read in a german facebook group advices against it, even from an expert - so I'm not sure. I guess there are pros and cons...

Comment

Originally posted by insidious988 View Post
      sclerals - I don't have much informations on sclerals as of yet - only know that they are costly. I read in a german facebook group advices against it, even from an expert - so I'm not sure. I guess there are pros and cons...
      Yes there are pros and cons, they really are the last resort. Out of interest, why do they advise against it on the German facebook group? I could look myself but I don't understand German...thanks

Comment

They had several points. The expert told that scleral lenses are like you said the last resort. One could try punctum plugs before or "Hyaluronsäure Silikon-Hydrogelverbandslinsen " (don't know the english word for it, sorry) - these two are more cheaper and are in most cases as good if not better. I don't know. I didn't have punctum plugs as of now - maybe try that next.

Comment

They had several points. The expert told that scleral lenses are like you said the last resort. One could try punctum plugs before or "Hyaluronsäure Silikon-Hydrogelverbandslinsen " (don't know the english word for it, sorry) - these two are more cheaper and are in most cases as good if not better. I don't know. I didn't have punctum plugs as of now - maybe try that next.
          I see, well punctual plugs only work for aqueous deficiency not evaporative dry eye. I tried plugs myself last summer for one month but they caused too much inflammation - nowhere for the cytokines to drain out.

Do you have aqueous deficiency as well as MGD?

Comment

Unfortunately yes. At least according to my schirmers - one time schirmer was 4/4 and one time 10/7, so not very high.

Comment

Unfortunately yes. At least according to my schirmers - one time schirmer was 4/4 and one time 10/7, so not very high.
              I see, I was told anything below 10 is a sign of aqueous deficiency. I am borderline at 10. In your case it sounds like plugs may help you!

Comment

Maybe. But if plugs trigger inflammation this would be very bad. Just don't know what to do. I heard this with inflammation and plugs before.

Comment

Originally posted by Alix View Post

I see, I was told anything below 10 is a sign of aqueous deficiency. I am borderline at 10. In your case it sounds like plugs may help you!
                  Alix

Untreated MGD can lead to aqueous insufficiency. The inflammation will ultimately affect the lacrimal glands. I guess your early schirmer's results were better. Did you have schirmer's greater than 10 before?

Comment

Originally posted by Milo007 View Post

Alix

Untreated MGD can lead to aqueous insufficiency. The inflammation will ultimately affect the lacrimal glands. I guess your early schirmer's results were better. Did you have schirmer's greater than 10 before?
                    I am not sure, the most recent one was 10, the only reason I know was because I asked. The other times I was told the score was "normal" but they may not have been much higher than 10.

Apparently the results of Schirmers Test are also affected by whether anaesthetic is used or not. I wish I had paid more attention at the time, I believe anaesthetic was used at one of my appointments but not sure about the other times.

Comment

I am not sure, the most recent one was 10, the only reason I know was because I asked. The other times I was told the score was "normal" but they may not have been much higher than 10.

Apparently the results of Schirmers Test are also affected by whether anaesthetic is used or not. I wish I had paid more attention at the time, I believe anaesthetic was used at one of my appointments but not sure about the other times.
                      Did you try out the sclerals?

Comment

Originally posted by Milo007 View Post

Did you try out the sclerals?
                        Hi Milo yes I did but I haven't paid for them yet as they don't fit properly. Apparently it takes several fittings to get to the right fit, hopefully the next ones I try will fit better.

Comment

I got a grade of 2 at the start then to 0 thanks to IPL. That's just what helped me with a combo of other things

Comment

Originally posted by epicjinx View Post
                            I got a grade of 2 at the start then to 0 thanks to IPL. That's just what helped me with a combo of other things
                            How can you go from a grade 2 to 0 when a grade is based of how much gland atrophy has occurred?

Comment

Hi Milo yes I did but I haven't paid for them yet as they don't fit properly. Apparently it takes several fittings to get to the right fit, hopefully the next ones I try will fit better.
                              Do you have eye print pro in UK?

They claim they can manufacture scleral lenses that matches the exact contours of your eyes using advanced 3D imaging technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by epicjinx View Post
                                You mean your glands regenerated?!

This is awesome!

Do you have the before and after meibography images?

Comment

Working...
                                X