Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shortage of Lacrisert (hydroxypropyl cellulose ophthalmic insert)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortage of Lacrisert (hydroxypropyl cellulose ophthalmic insert)

Hi

My wife has SS and SLE with severe sicca syndrome. She uses a lot of medications (prednisolone, hydroxychloroquine, azathioprine, rituximab, restasis, artificial tears, +++) but what works best for her when it comes to lubrication is Lacrisert in combination with one specific type of artifical tears. She is really dependent on Lacrisert.

Currently there is a shortage of Lacrisert in Scandinavia. I have contacted Bausch+Lomb in USA but they were not able to provide any information regarding when the product will be available again. They did however assure me that the product is not being discontinued.

In the meantime, if anyone has any Lacrisert that they are not using I would really appreciate a personal message on here. I'm interested in buying.

Thanks
    Regards Morten

I’ve been unable to locate any, either. I’m getting the same info from Bausch & Lomb but I’m so afraid they are going to discontinue them. Like your wife, I depend on them exclusively. I’ve even been cutting them in half to try to make the few I have last longer. I was able to get a few sample boxes from ophthalmologists here in town. Has your wife tried checking with local optometrist s/ophthalmologists?

Comment

Thanks! Do you feel that cutting them in half works ok?

Since Lacrisert is not sold in Norway (must be imported based on a prescription from an opthalmologist on a per user basis) no one has any samples unfortunately.

Comment

Unbelievable! It's a simple chemical product....For two months now told they would be back in stock and then I never get. Found out back ordered again!!! I have extreme sicca/Sjogren's syndrome. This product is how I make it to work everyday. Shameful!!! Generic lacrisert should be available if they are going to hold my health hostage. And they're ridiculously expensive!! Thanks Donald Trump for the "best health care ever" Ha. Doesn't even have a freaking plan.

Comment

I just was told by pharmacist that it wouldn’t be available till August!

Hope I can find another source.

Comment

I just called B&L and the Consumer Service department says they cannot provide any information on why it is not available or when it will be available. That is irresponsible.

Comment

I have called Bausch and Lomb customer care 3 times and they cannot tell me when they will be available. SS and scared corneas now without it. My eye dr has no samples and I am so miserable. Tried so many otc treatments, no help. I am desperate any ideas or suggestions.

Comment

I'll try to get more from B&L tomorrow or anyone else I can find who might know. This has been a probelm for a long time
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Rebecca, if you can get more info from B&L that would be great. Per the FDA Drug Shortage website (post dated 5/1), the earliest it will be available is December. The Lacrisert website has no information. As I (4/30 post) and the person who posted on 5/18 have found out, Customer Service is anything but that. It is irresponsible not to be able to be able to provide answers to patients when obviously some one at the company has the information.

Comment

I was just told by my pharmacist that it has been discontinued.
                    I wonder if there is a way to get another manufacturer to make a generic non prescription version of this. I don’t need all the plastic insert gadgets they include with packaging. I just dampen my clean finger and put it in my eye. Perhaps if it were less expensive it could be more available.
                    Anne Geraghty, Sacramento

Comment

Please consider contacting Canada Cloud Pharmacy in Vancouver. It is a brick & mortar pharmacy that honors U.S. prescriptions and ships medications, at least to the U.S., for limited personal use. It carries only medications that are available for sale in Canada, and sources these medications only from Canadian suppliers (unlike less reputable international online pharmacies that are less discriminating in their sourcing). They have an excellent rating on Pharmacy Checker. I just checked its website, and it usually carries Lacrisert and does not indicate, on its ordering form, that Lacrisert is out of stock. I don't know whether Canada Cloud works with patients outside of North America, but if you call them or e-mail them, you will be connected with one of the superb pharmacists there, and all questions will be answered. I have been able to obtain a glaucoma medication from Canada Cloud that is no longer available in the U.S., for a family member, and in addition to sparing my family member exposure to BAK, use of this preservative-free glaucoma medication has proven to be surprisingly affordable. Many veterinarians in the U.S., btw, routinely recommend that their clients submit prescriptions to Canada Cloud and other reputable Canadian pharmacies, even for products that are available through U.S. pharmacies, and often for products that have become scarce in the U.S.
                      <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

I have severe sjogrens dry eye and parotid lymphoma. No moisture for eyes or mouth. I pay a big copay for lacrisert and it’s out of stock again!! Twice this year. Don’t know how I’ll manage work. Mucous costs my corneas without these. Drops not enough! Anyone know of any place that would have a stockpile? It’s always a special order. Ty

Comment

i think the key is for everyone to contact B@L and stress just how important this drug is and plead for it. I'm going to. My mother is 90 years old and if she found out she didn't have anymore that would be it.

Comment

Are there any alternatives to lacrisert?

Comment

I was told that the manufacturing plant in France was having issues with production due to COVID 19. My plan is to cut in half. When I was a kid the doc told me to do so (in the 80s).

so stressed!

Comment

Working...
                              X