Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shortage of Lacrisert (hydroxypropyl cellulose ophthalmic insert)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by morthelg View Post
    Hi

My wife has SS and SLE with severe sicca syndrome. She uses a lot of medications (prednisolone, hydroxychloroquine, azathioprine, rituximab, restasis, artificial tears, +++) but what works best for her when it comes to lubrication is Lacrisert in combination with one specific type of artifical tears. She is really dependent on Lacrisert.

Currently there is a shortage of Lacrisert in Scandinavia. I have contacted Bausch+Lomb in USA but they were not able to provide any information regarding when the product will be available again. They did however assure me that the product is not being discontinued.

In the meantime, if anyone has any Lacrisert that they are not using I would really appreciate a personal message on here. I'm interested in buying.

Thanks
    Regards Morten
    Please reach out to Canadian world pharmacy i just reached out to them and they do carry it. Im in the same situation like your wife and been looking for this medicine.

Comment

Do the lacriserts work if cut in half? I called the manufacturer in August and they said it was not in production due to covid. They told me it was not being discontinued and would be available in Sept 2920. I tried numerous times now in Sept calling them but received a voice mail that everyone was busy.
      i also have Sjrogren’s syndrome and desperately need them for my eyes.

Comment

I’ve not cut them in half but I have figured out I can put them in in the morning and keep them in and working 2 whole days. At the end of day 2 I remove what little is left and use night time ointment. So I’m getting 2 months from 1 box. I’m worried I’ll finish my last box and they won’t be back in stock.

Comment

I called b&lomb about a week ago they said the lacriserts would be available around the end of this month. Who knows?!!

Comment

Hello, I am new to this forum but not to Lacrisert as I've been using this drug for 30+ years with fantastic results, and what I can only describe as a life-changing Rx that saved my vision. During my usage, there have been several manufacturers and shortages, throughout the decades. Unfortunately, I suspect it is a rare drug and not properly marketed to those who could benefit.

Re the current shortage, I am keeping track of release ETA via U.S. FDA website (https://www.accessdata.fda.gov) where you can type in Lacrisert for an update. I called B&L several months ago and was told release was expected earlier than Q4, but see today (10/1/2020) and update was made that shows a release no earlier than Dec 2020. I plan to call tomorrow and speak with B&L again to clarify this.

My local pharmacies are also out of stock. I am cutting the inserts into 1/4 at this point, stretching what I have for as long as possible. Thank you, Rojzen. I plan to pursue the Canadian option sooner rather than later. As well, it is time for me, personally, to contact Senior Management at B&L to stress the importance of this drug to those of us who rely upon it for quality of life and vision. With all else happening in the world today, most organizations of its size are implementing workarounds and by now, have streamlined production to catch up with pent-up demand and shortages.

Meanwhile, phone calls/emails/etc to B&L, your eye doc, leading eye institutes, politicians, etc can only help keep this very serious problem front and center. There must be a B&L database of regular-use patients that qualify for emergency distribution of this drug and a centralized distribution facility that can replace a pharmacy until the critical shortage is passed. I will be addressing this with B&L, and other concerns I have.

Stay healthy, and thank you for sharing eye comforting alternatives that work for you during this crisis, as I'm sure it will benefit us all.

Comment

I called B&L today. They expect Lacrisert to be back in stock by the end of December, 2020.

Comment

I have spoken with B&L several times lately and they went from saying 4Q to saying December. At this point I'm pretty concerned about the date slippage. We've been through this before with other things. They were pretty emphatic about not discontinuing it, but these companies don't tend to give the latest information to the customer service people.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Any updates on the supply?

Comment

YES! I just called them. So excited. They released a shipment on 11/13 and are encouraging people to contact their pharmacies to find out when they'll have it. They emphasized that it is a 'limited supply' but that they expect to be fully stocked in early 2021.

This is such a relief.
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

That's great news! Sorry this may be a basic question but I am new to Lacrisert: will I need to go through my eye doctor to get a rx for this medication? Thanks

Comment

Yes, it's prescription only
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

Gonna have to ask my optometrist about this one and see if she can write me a rx. Am I the only one who thinks it's absolutely insane in 2020 and how frequent MGD is as the cause of dry eyes that they haven't yet invented a OIL release object that you can put into the eye like lacrisert to produce what our meibomian glands can't?!

Comment

Hi i am wondering how everyone is cooing with the current lack of Lacriserts due to production issues? What alternatives are working? I am also working with a couple of other people trying to gently push B & L to get production going again. Would be great to have a larger group involved.

Comment

I was lucky enough to have a 90 day supply filled in July! My hopes have been dashed in the past week since the refill was delayed once again for back order issues. I am cutting them in half and hoping the backorder will go away. I have no tear ducts so this is really the only viable drug that works for me - since the 80s! If you have any contacts that you have been asking for help in pressing the issue, let me know!

Comment

Hi a small group of us have been contacting Bausch and asking questions. It seems the 3rd party who manufactures them on their behalf has had equipment issues and several trials of replacement equipment have failed. No date for even a new trial and no supply expected until at least 2022. I was cutting mine in 1/3rds but am now using a compounded product acetylcysteine along with lubricating drops, Bion Tears, and that is getting me through though not as comfortable as Lacriserts. They tried me with autologous drops, (made from my own blood) but they didn’t work and i ended up with a horrible case of filamentary keratosis which the new drops have resolved. So frustrating when you know the perfect solution is there but is not available. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X