No announcement yet.

Dry eyes with contact lenses useage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am just scared about using them because I know I don't want a corneal ulcer, but I am planning a trip and would really like to go snorkeling. With my high prescription, finding a mask is going to be expensive. Has anyone else ever been told this?
    Hi Nitey--You have a whole bunch of questions all wrapped into one there.
    1. You are scared (to use them) because they may cause a corneal ulcer.

2. You want to go snorkeling.

3. A mask with your high RX would be expensive.

Then you ask "has anyone else ever been told this? I'm not sure which question you are referring to.

First, I really hope your doc knows what they are doing with the lens and as of yet, you have no reason to think otherwise. If I were planning on a cool trip and going snorkeling......just to be on the safe side, I'd get some goggles in your RX. They are not as expensive as you think. It's been discussed here on DEZ just recently. They come in RX's up to -7 or so. Even if you are a -9 or -10, the -7 would get you by the snorkeling thing if you couldn't wear your contacts.

I'm going on a trip south this winter and would like to snorkel, but I'd have to have breathing lessons. I love to swim, live in the water, but can't master the art of breathing through a snorkel without drowning. Maybe I can find a little neighborhood kid to teach me.

Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

contacts CI in DES

Sorry for the previous long post. The main question was has anyone been told contacts were contraindicated in DES?

Comment

A Couple of Things...

Originally posted by Niteyorkie
        ...has anyone been told contacts were contraindicated in DES?
        It's probably "self limiting" most of the time. If eyes are dry and irritated, wearing some types of contacts makes them worse.

But---I have very dry eyes, yet I can wear contacts (high Rx, too).

I don't know a thing about snorkeling, but don't you wear a face mask with that? Does the water get inside it? Can you wear glasses with face mask over that?

If you've only worn the Proclears and Focus for a few hours, that's not much to test them out. Contacts wear, plus seawater, plus snorkeling, plus sea air, plus dry eye--yeah, there's definitely the potential to have eye problems. That would ruin your trip for sure. Best to check out contact lens wear and snorkeling as SEPARATE experiences, in my opinion.

C66

Comment

Working...
        X