Discouraged Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discouraged Newbie

In December I had a virulent form of pink eye requiring a week of antibiotic drops. In January I had a corneal abrasion. The doctor told me to use the antibiotics again for 5 days. Early February I had mild symptoms of pink eye and it was another 5 days on antibiotics. I was nearly back to wearing my gas permeable contacts full time when inflammation and dry eye hit with a vengeance. I was assured that 9 days on steroid drops would be very helpful. After 9 days, my inflammation was double and the dry eye was excruciating. That was this last Monday and while the inflammation is now about 50% better, the dry eye is awful. I am using Gen Tel gel, Soothe drops, Refresh Plus, and Refresh Endura. At times I am putting in stuff every 3-10 minutes. At other times I can go an hour. I put in the gel at bed again just as a matter of course. Anyone know what is ahead? The doctor assures me we will get this under control and he said "probably within weeks and not as long as months". Restasis may be in my future. The diagnosis is medication damage. Any do's or don'ts? I tried the fish oil but it made my acid reflux worse. I have a humidifier in my office and in 2 rooms of my house. I am staying away from space heaters and forced air, but my workplace is under florescent lights and has circulated air with no vents to the outside so the air is very dry.

Anything you think I need to know?

I would ditch the drugstore drops and try Dwelle at night with either Dakrina or NutraTear during the day. You'll only need to use these drops three or four times a day (not every 3 - 10 minutes), and eventually you'll need them even less. If the surface of your eyes is damaged (probably is right now), Dwelle and Dakrina may sting slightly at first, but that will diminish as your eyes heal.

If necessary, get a good pair of moisture chamber goggles for wearing around the house and outside, and wear close-fitting eyeglasses at the office (unless you can get away with wearing goggles there, also). Once your eyes start healing, which you'll probably notice in about two weeks of using the Dwelle/Dakrina/Nutratear regime, you can cut back on wearing glasses and/or moisture chambers.

Comment

Hi, rubyslippers. Terri's advice is really good. Also, I would double-check with your doctor about Restasis. Even the TV ad says that it "should not be used in people with active eye infections." (And, it takes a LOT for a company to announce restrictions in advertising; they are being forced and not just making recommendations.) I'd be careful about a recent and recurring bout of pink eye and a chemical that suppresses infection-fighting cells. If the Restasis is being considered because of dry eye and erosions, then I would stress the recent infections to my doctor.

--Liz

Comment

Thanks for your quick replies. Where do I buy those drops and the moisture chamber glasses? What can I expect when flying? At home, my multiple humidifiers do help some, but even walking down a hall at work my eyes feel cold and like I can feel the air. I do have a humidifier in my classroom. Evenings are the worst. Is this typical. Will this get better at all? I am hearing impaired and now this.

I have not had active infection for over 6 weeks. He says we won't start Restasis for awhile. I can no longer wear my contacts and I have 20/1000 vision in both eyes with severe astigmatism. He has ordered me new contacts that are more curved to supposedly allow the tears over the edge more.

Is it always this distressing? Can I really learn to live with this? I am not an old woman and am pretty good about being able to put up with annoyances, but when the really bad hours come I feel like I am going to lose it. They can put men on the moon but they cannot cure this?

Comment

Working...
        X