Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks you guys. Trying to stay 'up', but it is hard when every time I go to an opt or opth appointment, I just keep getting another little piece of bad news. I have been warned against probing by 2 opts, and by dr 'NYC'. I don't know. It is hard to figure out what to do. Plus I simply can't afford probing right now. I go for another expression next week, so I'll let you know how it goes.
    browneyesblue: Yes, I was told to get at least 5 expressions in a row done. I am going once a month. Lipiflow was useless on me. I clogged up right after, and the opt at Herzig said he was 'disappointed' with the results. That was a $1650.00 waste of money. Also, there is a new opt there and he was as useless as could be. Dr P has left Herzig, so I would never go there again.
    Also - has anyone ever had Doxy cause their spine or joints hurt, or an I just a freak? My opt does not know what to make of that.
    I will update again soon.

Comment

I've heard some ECP's in the USA charge thousands to do probing. After a lot of emailing (4,000 in fact) we came across ONE ophthalmologist in Australia who does probing. He only charges a normal consultation fee for it and it's claimable through our health system. I'm not sure if he uses any anaesthetic and having spoken to one person who had it done by him said it "Hurt like hell". I'll be checking further into it and possibly make the two hour flight to see him.

I've used Doxy a few times but it's side effects are difficult to handle and it didn't do much for my MGD. I got bad headaches that lingered all day despite using pain killers. Occasionally reflux would occur, indeed I'm finished with Doxy.

Comment

Originally posted by sighthound View Post
        Also - has anyone ever had Doxy cause their spine or joints hurt, or an I just a freak? My opt does not know what to make of that.
        I will update again soon.
        That's really interesting about doxy . I have swollen fingers for no reason despite tests etc. but gp doesn't think its due doxy. perhaps its NAC? or just me.
        Reflux is stable .
        Im happy with progress so i won't stop doxy unless advised to but my hand sure looks funny and not too uncomfortable. my tmj joint is very sore though.
        Have u had blood test for auto immune conditions ?
        http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/a/l/l/t/allthings.htm

Comment

For those of you on doxy, what are your doses. I'm on a very low 20mg per day without any adverse side effects like you report. I stay out of the sun, that's about it. The doxy, at a low dose like I am on, is prescribed for its anti-inflamatory properties, not as an antibiotic. At a higher dose, like back when pre-Dr. ****** I was on 100 mg bid for about 9 months, I ended up with no gut flora. So you do have to be careful at high doses. But a low dose is relatively safe. Nevertheless, side effects are side effects, so you always have to weigh the pros and cons.

Comment

Originally posted by sighthound View Post
            I have been warned against probing by 2 opts, and by dr 'NYC'. I don't know. It is hard to figure out what to do.
            The warnings against probing are baseless. Probing is safe and effective for what it is designed to address: opening blocked glands, piercing fibrous tissue, giving meibum an avenue to flow through, restoring mg function, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
              I'm not sure if he uses any anaesthetic and having spoken to one person who had it done by him said it "Hurt like hell".
              To be frank, probing isn't something you look forward to. It's a procedure that is done to your eye lids and those tiny little meibomian glands. Having said that, it should take no more than 30 minutes to probe all lids, all glands. Once done there should be little to completely no pain.

I've been probed three times, all lids, all glands. Dr. ****** did my third complete probing without anesthetic because I am so terribly sensitive to preservatives. It was not a problem. My eyes were watering profusely during the procedure, but that is to be expected.

Dr. ****** has even probed just a few glands a couple of times when only one or two was causing extreme FB sensation. Once probed, relief was instantaneous. No amount of warm compresses could do what that little probe accomplished.

My last probing was in January and my mg's are still opened and producing adequately.

Let us know what you decide and keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by NotADryEye View Post
                For those of you on doxy, what are your doses. I'm on a very low 20mg per day without any adverse side effects like you report. I stay out of the sun, that's about it. The doxy, at a low dose like I am on, is prescribed for its anti-inflamatory properties, not as an antibiotic. At a higher dose, like back when pre-Dr. ****** I was on 100 mg bid for about 9 months, I ended up with no gut flora. So you do have to be careful at high doses. But a low dose is relatively safe. Nevertheless, side effects are side effects, so you always have to weigh the pros and cons.
                How did u know u had no gut flora ? Id like to know how my poor gut is going.
                I thought doxy works as antiinflammatory due antibiotic properties on glands thereby increasing oil production and then decreasing inflammation. but who knows as long as it works.
                Im on 100mg daily. probably too much but my oils r improving .

Comment

Originally posted by soaps View Post
                  How did u know u had no gut flora ? Id like to know how my poor gut is going.
                  I thought doxy works as antiinflammatory due antibiotic properties on glands thereby increasing oil production and then decreasing inflammation. but who knows as long as it works.
                  Im on 100mg daily. probably too much but my oils r improving .

I was tested for gut flora. I was seeing an MD/naturopath who ordered the tests. They came back with literally 0 gut flora.
                  If I were on 100 mg of doxy daily I would take a probiotic, but that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by NotADryEye View Post
                    I was tested for gut flora. I was seeing an MD/naturopath who ordered the tests. They came back with literally 0 gut flora.
                    If I were on 100 mg of doxy daily I would take a probiotic, but that's me.
                    Ah thankyou . that sounds scary. i will ask my gp about this. yes i take probiotics daily always i agree everyone should if on doxy. it takes a little getting used to at first.

Comment

Just putting my two cents worth in. It's not recommended to simultaneously be taking a probiotic along with an antibiotic. The reason is that antibiotics 'kill' bacteria, what are probiotics? they are 'good' bacteria but the antibiotic will destroy them too and then you have less of the antibiotic to work on your MGD.
                      It's not recommended to take an antibiotic long term due to resistance and long term damage to the gut. Give yourself a break from Doxy, and then go on Probiotics along with a Prebiotic.

Comment

My docs have told me not to take the probiotic with the antibiotic but the space them out by a few hours, at least four, maybe six or more hours in between. I take the low dose doxy a few hours after breakfast, on an empty stomach with a full glass of water, with no side effects. And I take the probiotic at dinner, a small meal usually. My gut flora has improved tremendously and I have virtually no digestion problems.

Comment

NotADryEye - Sounds like a good strategy to get around the problem of doxy mopping up your probiotics ... So...

* A smaller dose of doxy (I'd still have it with food though to avoid reflux. Perhaps have doxy with your breakfast or lunch).
                          * Take probiotics at least 4 to 6 hours away from the doxy dose

Comment

Re: how many hours to space doxy and probiotic, it's at least 6, not 4, in case anyone is looking. I checked my doctor's notes. So be sure to space by 6 hours.

Re: empty stomach or not for doxy. The 20 mg's is a very low dose and food in the stomach prevents absorption, according to my pharmacist. So I take it on an empty stomach. But if someone gets reflux then they would have to adjust and take with food, but avoid calcium, again as per my pharmacist.

Comment

sighthound, we haven't heard from you in about a month. You were going to have expression done. Have you continued with the doxycycline? What was your dose?

Comment

I had the expression done and eyelid wiper scraper thingy done. (The opt scrapes off the build up of old cells on the eyelid margin). He said there was less inflammation and thinner oil from some of the glands. He said my symptoms are worse than my eyes are clinically and that it might be that my corneas have a very low tolerance for pain. It would not surprise me. I have Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (or RSD). So my new fear is that because there is essentially nothing they can do for that, that I may be stuck with this pain. I go back tomorrow to see how the lids are doing. I did not go back on the doxy. Even at 20mgs x day, it bothered me.

Comment

Working...
                                X