Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

:rolleyes: MGD or not? Eyes almost back to "normal" dryness?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• :rolleyes: MGD or not? Eyes almost back to "normal" dryness?

This is my first time to post here, but I've been reading in the past several months. I had intralasik surgery in February 2013. Soon after the surgery I developed dry eyes, which was expected. I just kept using preservative free artificial drops whenever needed, usually every 15 minutes to 30 minutes. At around 3 months my eyes were still dry but I knew it took time to recover from lasik dryness and as long as I put PF artificial tears in my eyes, I was ok. At least no pain.

At about 5 months after the surgery, I started feeling burning sensation in my left eye (only) at the outer corner (only). I also noticed 2 red veins became more prominent. The burning sensation got worse towards the end of the day. I didn't want to open my eyes because of my pain. Air-conditioning absolutely kills my eyes.

And that's when I started online research and found this great community at dryeyezone.com. I diagnosed myself as a MGD patient. At my next lasik pos-op appointment, my post-op lasik doctor (not the same surgeon that performed my lasik surgery who is considered a top surgeon) agreed I had MGD based on the redveins, burning sensation and low TBUT of 4 seconds.

I was put on FML and azasite. FML brought instant relief but I know it does nothing for curing. After 3 weeks of FML (tapering down) and 10 days of azasite, my eyes seemed feeling better but the burning sensation was still there every evening, just less severe.

Meanwhile, I was trying to figure out why a clear little "bump" on the outer corner of my right eye's conjunctiva would keep showing up and then disappearing from time to time. One day morning I woke up and noticed 2 "bumps" versus 1. Looking into a magnifying mirror at certain angle I could literally see them sticking out from the surface of my eye ball and I felt obvious foreign body sensation where the "bumps" were. I suddenly realized the only thing I did differently the day before, was that I was using systane Ultra preservative free drops exclusively. I used 5 vials throughout the day, the most amount I had used that product within 24 hours. So it probably had something to do with systane ultra. With this thought, I only used fresh plus PF drops in the next 2 days, and...woo hoo! the "bumps" are gone! I stopped using systane ever since and the "bump" never came back! And the burning sensation pain is also 99% gone within the next 2 weeks. Now looking back, I realized when I started feeling burning sensation, it was when I started trying new preservative free artificial drops and started systane. For a long time I was using more than 2 or 3 different brands in a day, a combination of fresh, systane, thera tears... I tried almost all OTC drops (all preservative free. The only one with preservative is systane balance, which I soon found out eventually made the burning sensation worse and stopped using it right away) I liked some drops better than the others and Systane ultra was a keeper because they felt long-lasting but I never knew it could be irritating my eyes all this time.

Even though the burning sensation has been almost 99% gone, the red veins in my eyes are not getting a lot better. They are less easily irritated and less prominent compared with when they were worst, but more veins and more redness would easily show when my eyes are irritated (usually in air-conditioned area or after a long computer use).

I still wonder if Azasite ever helped because I only used 1 bottle which lasted 10 days. My eyes didn't feel much stinging/burning when I put the drop directly in my eyes while many members here mentioned the burning when they use azasite. The last 3 days when I was on azasite I felt pain free (for the first time within the last 4 months) and less dry but that's also when I stopped systane and only using refresh plus (and my eyes felt pain free and less dry ever since. It's been about 2 weeks so far.) I tried to get a refill but was told manufacturer ran out of it. It's been 7 days since I wasn't able to use it but my eyes remained almost pain free.) So I don't know if it's solely because I stopped using the wrong drops, or because azasite finally kicked in in the last 3 days when I was using it and felt pain free. However given the fact that I haven't been using azasite in the past 7 days and I haven't had a rebound burning sensation, I think stopping the wrong drops contributed more to solve my major problem.

Sorry for the long input and thank you for reading. So here's my summary:

Conclusion: If you have constant burning sensation, pay attention to those artificial drops you are using. Because like me, your problem may not be your meibomian or eye lids. It could simply be because your eyes are irritated by those drops, even they are preservative free.

Question:
    Now I don't have burning sensation and I only need to use artifical drops every 30 minutes to 1 hour, and I definitely don't have toothpaste like meibum, but I still have red veins in my eyes that never go away (so far) and they get irritated easily, does that make me still a MGD dry eye patient? At my last post-op checkup the doctor said my TBUT is 6.

Does anybody who has a low TBUT without toothpast like meibum yet was diagnosed MGD?

Also, now that my eyes are no longer hurting just dry, if it's not going to the MGD route, I would assume (and I hope) it is "normal" dryness and would only get better and better until cured from post-lasik dryness? I know it could take 1 year or more for some lasik patients to completely recover from post-lasik dryness, and I did have a higher prescription (about -7.00 both eyes)

Any input would be much appreciated!

PS: A bit more about my meibum (stuff coming out when doing meibomian glands express):
    I know as a mild/moderate dry eye sufferer, you are not supposed to squeeze/express your glands too much too often. But for self-education purpose, I have been doing glands expression occasionally to see what's coming out from the glands. I had to squeeze/pinch because typical rolling finger along the glands and press would do nothing. At first nothing came out even I tried to squeeze with some pressure. When I was on FML, one day for the first time something that's pea-sized puss-like dark yellow/amber colored came out of one gland in my right eye. Definitely not clear and free-flowing as normal meibum should be. I knew my glands were not healthy at that point. Later the meibum was yellow/gold color (lighter than amber color) but not clear and more glands could be expressed. Most recently my meibum is definitely normal in color and mostly clear when my eyes are pain free and less dry now that I stopped using systane drops.

But this makes me think, systane drops may have irritated my eyes causing the burning sensation and inflammation, could stop using them even makes my glands healthier? Purhaps yes, because when our eyes are less flimflammed, the glands will less blocked and work normally thus producing healthier glands? OR, could it be the week-long use of Asasite that helped? Any thoughts about this?

PPS: Even my eyes feel better and less dry, despite the easily irritated red veins that don't go away, my out corner conjunctiva in both eyes are slightly puffy/swollen looking. If I look into a magnifying mirror and look aside, the out corner of my conjunctiva in both eyes would kind of wrinkle. I don't think it's as severe as conjunctivochalasis (redundant conjunctiva), but is this normal with dry eyes? Is your outer conjunctiva puffy and wrinkled when you turn your eyeball to look at the outer/ear side?

Sorry if there's any language glitch. English is not my mother language.

Thanks again for reading. :-)
    Last edited by lasik-induced-mgd; 21-Oct-2013, 22:21.

IMO, amber meibum would indicate mgd, or something going on. Ideally it is clear with no debris.
    Drops - some irritate, some don't. Indrep may have a better opinion on this.
    My meibum is not toothpasty, but my TBUT is not terribly high. It happens. I'm on doxycycline which helps to keep the meibum clear because it reduces inflamtion in the meibomian glands.
    And yes, inflammation in one area causes problems in another. The eye is a system. Both eyes are a system. A problem in one eye will results in a problem in the other eye e.g. reflexive tears in your right eye when something falls in the left eye.
    Your English is very good....

Comment

Originally posted by NotADryEye View Post
      IMO, amber meibum would indicate mgd, or something going on. Ideally it is clear with no debris.
      Drops - some irritate, some don't. Indrep may have a better opinion on this.
      My meibum is not toothpasty, but my TBUT is not terribly high. It happens. I'm on doxycycline which helps to keep the meibum clear because it reduces inflamtion in the meibomian glands.
      And yes, inflammation in one area causes problems in another. The eye is a system. Both eyes are a system. A problem in one eye will results in a problem in the other eye e.g. reflexive tears in your right eye when something falls in the left eye.
      Your English is very good....
      Thank you for your reply. I am still trying to figure out why simply after stopped using certain PF artificial tear drops (in my case it is systane ultra), my MGD problems (that lasted 4-5 months) seem to be almost gone within such a short time. No burning sensation; eyes less dry and irritated; clear normal meibum... This change happened after 3 weeks of FML followed by 10 days of Azasite, while I stopped using the irritating tear drops. So it's hard to say which factor contributed more. I hope my experience would be of any help for fellows here, because I learned a lot about dry eye from other members.

Comment

What is FML?
        Preservative Free drops can be irritating. Stopping them may have helped a lot.
        Azasite is an antibiotic. If you had a bacterial infection, and it cleared up, then that might have helped as well.

Comment

Originally posted by NotADryEye View Post
          What is FML?
          Preservative Free drops can be irritating. Stopping them may have helped a lot.
          Azasite is an antibiotic. If you had a bacterial infection, and it cleared up, then that might have helped as well.
          FML is FluoromethLone 0.1%. It's a mild steroid drop. It reduced the inflammation and brought relief immediately. Even though I know it doesn't cure anything, which made me reluctant to use it at the beginning. I went to Denver and had the worst flare up, that's when I finally started the steroid/antibiotic drop course 2 weeks after I got the prescription.

I indeed had a bacterial infection before all those burning sensation experiences happened. I was prescribed Zymaxid and it cleared the infection within 3-4 days. I was having a bad cold which may have caused the bacterial infection in my eyes.

After I started feeling burning sensation and getting worse for the next several months, I kept thinking hard about the possible causes. It could be the leftover effect of the bacterial infection; it could be the 1 month use of refresh pm night ointment that turned out to be irritating too; it could be me using computer 5-6 hours a day for more than 1 month (back then we were going through home remodeling and I spent a lot more time doing design researches) and spending too much time in air-conditioned home goods/furniture stores; I could be me starting to try different PF tear drops (like systane ultra) after the first 3 months of sticking with refresh plus and celluvisc... All these changes happened almost simultaneously after the first 3 months period post lasik. I was not aware they all could make dry eye worse.

I was doing warm compresses 3-4 times a day, 10-15 minutes each time, which always brought comfort. I was taken 2000mg omega-3s everyday; I started eating anti-inflammatory food; drinking a lot more water; adding a humidifier. I was even thinking about trying the allergy route.

I still can't believe just 2 weeks ago my mood was deeply down because of my dry eyes, thinking I might have ruined my life with lasik surgery. I couldn't imagine dealing with life time chronic dry eye situation being at early 30s with 2 young kids. But now after several days of only using refresh plus drops all the discomfort is almost all gone. I wouldn't say my eyes are normal now, but they are at least not giving me constant discomfort and I am not thinking about my eyes at least once every 20 minutes now.

I hope everybody here will eventually find out a solution, or have it under control. Because only we who have dry eyes truly know how not fun it is to have them!

Comment

Hi lasik-induced-mgd,

The antibiotic in Azasite is used for its anti-inflammatory properties and it also has a long lasting effect as it has a very long half life. So that's why people pulse dose with it i.e they use it for a few days, then stop using it yet still feel the benefit of it.

It could have been this long lasting action of Azasite that was still working even after you stopped putting it in your eyes.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I have stopped using Azasite for 5 weeks now. (I finished one bottle which lasted 9 days, was going to get more as doc. said to use it for 30 days, but my local pharmacies told me the manufacturer was out of stock. I waited for 1 week and eyes kept doing much better so I never went back to get a second refill.) During the past 5 weeks without Azasite, I completely stopped using systane ultra PF drops, only using fresh plus PF, and my eyes kept doing better and better. Even though the red reins are still there, I feel no burning sensation any more. I now occasionally try to express my glands and meibum seems clear and normal. I still need to use tear drops every 1 hour or so, but compared with every 15 min before with pain, it is definitely much better!

I am not sure if the 9 days use of Azasite has been still contributing during the last 5 weeks without it. If yes it surely has a long half life! I strongly feel not using the wrong artificial drops is the turning point for me. I had no burning sensation before I started them, and no burning sensation after I stopped using them. I had little bumps on conjunctiva experienced sharp pain when I was using systane (regular) PF drops. Systane products probably are not for me. I was curious to find out if this is the true by start using systane ultra PF again and see what happens, but dare not.

I still have 3 refills of Azasite. If my eyes ever get worse again, I will definitely try Azasite again after checking with my doc.

Comment

Thanks for the post! It made an interesting read.

Comment

Working...
                X