This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hormones and recurrent corneal erosions

I don't think I have dry eyes which I know can be affected by hormones, but there seems to be definite pattern in the recurrence of my erosions.

I've had 7 erosions since December, that should be enough for it to be statistically meaningful. The number of days between episodes has been as follows:

I'm no maths genius, but that seems to suggest that I have a 'danger period' of 9 days which occurs in 23/24 day cycles. Hmmmmmmmmmm. In the past 6 months I've managed to have an erosion during every 9 day danger window except one.

In practical terms, I think this means I will competely cut out caffeine and alcohol and take special care during the 9 day danger window.

Anyone have any support for this hormone related RCE theory?

(Aside - yes I suppose this is related to a menstrual cycle but without going into too much unwanted detail, the contraception I use means that I don't have a normal menstrual cycle. When I did, it was 24 days)

Yes!

You are not alone, Mcgoldilocks!

We discussed this a few times, and Rebecca posted a great article about it, too:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=4860

--Liz

Comment

Have you come across this article on corneal thickness and the menstrual cycle? It says "rises in estrogen are accompanied by increases in corneal thickness."

http://eprints.qut.edu.au/archive/00003190/

However, I've spent most of the day puzzling it over adn I don't think I'm up to detangling the web of conflicting evidence saying you get more dehydrated before/during/after your period, whether it's oestrogen or progestogen, luteal phase or follicular phase.

I can't even spell most of these words.

There seems to be a pattern and that is useful to know.

Comment

Maybe I should start recording colour of socks/planetary alignment/number of butterflies flapping wings in my direction to see if there are any more exciting correlations to show the doctor.

Comment

Yes, mine cycle with my menstrual cycle too. I am 52 and in early stages of menopause and have not actually missed a period yet, but according to my doctor I am just on the edge of skipping months now. I wonder if anyone feels better AFTER their periods stop?

Comment

Working...
          X